Oiled Oak finish refresh

ThomasD.

Coming home with 4- KG1's & 2- KG4's.  All appear to be oiled oak finish, at least that's what I believe the Kg4's are.  Assuming the KG1's are too since they were in the same series ???? 

Trying to find a thread for refreshing the cabinets not refinishing yet.  Couple scratches, water stains, little fading & basic age issues.  These will be going into a much dryer climate so need to give the cabinets as much chance for survival as I can.  Would have preferred the walnut finish but beggars can't be choosers.  Consider myself fortunate to have found all these with similar finish from different sellers in the same city on the same trip.  Anyway, I know there's lot's of threads regarding which oil or product to use or not use.  Trying to wade through all that to get to the basics. Any links to a good thread or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks

Thanks @jimjimbo   Furniture finishing / maintenance is way out of my realm of expertise.  Trying to 'pretty' all these KG's up as much as possible for a better WAF.  She much prefers the walnut finish to more closely match existing furniture.  She also hates anything that would attract or collect dust so good to know about the Feed n Wax.  Have the Polk SDA 2a's out now and they are an untouched faux rosewood vinyl.  Loving these real oak KG's myself but life (marriage) is a compromise.  Then on to the important internal upgrades.  Thanks again for your valuable experience.

40 minutes ago, ThomasD. said:

P.S. Assume the 'Golden Oak' Restor a Finish would be the proper choice for the oiled oak?

I guess it depends on the color of the speakers.  There is a darker oak choice as well.  Believe me, I'm not an expert either, just have learned through experience here.  There are videos on the Howard's site too.....

Dr. Bill's (not me) recipe': 

*remember fire hazard* BLO heats up as it dries so any rags and whatnot should be thouroughly washed with water and soap and disposed of safely...preferrably outside...

the Drs. recipe' IIRC: 3 parts Gum Turpentine to 1 part BLO...I found mine at Home Depot but should be able to find anywhere...good luck but wanted to share...Do only in a well ventilated area...

Bill

• Like 1

I refinished my CF-4's in Med Oak which had some fading, water rings on top and some deep gouges.  It took a lot of hand sanding and time for the staining and two applications of polyurethane to dry but they really came out looking great.