New Heresy Price

justin_tx_16

I am so angry with so many audio lies out and about... from bose to sony to car audio in general to people who are too ignorant to look at the facts. so i decided that i just have to get over it. and buy gettin gover things i like to buy other things LoL.. a bad habit i know.

so i get on eBay to find some heresys. just the right size for me rightnow and in college. anything larger would be... too large. the price ofr a nice pair is $300-500, plus shipping. So lets say $450.

first off, how much is shipping?

how much would a brand new pair of heresy's cost? i feel that buying something new, with no shipping charges, through my klipsch dealer, would be a good idea. but how much money are we looking at spending here? if shipping charges exceed tax, then i will go with a local dealer.

as it stands right now, I am about to lay down $479 for a headphone amp. now, if I can find some heresy's, new ones preferred, then I would go that way, if the price was not astronomical.

Lets say I get these, I know I will just LOVE them. But there will come a time when I want more bass. What would be the best, economical, small sub? I have seen some amazing, or heard rather, miniature subs but they were all $1000+. This is going to be for college. I don't need to blow away my dorm mate, my heresy's will do that. i want bass i can hear and feel w/o having to have the dorm master come to my room with an eviction notice...

size matters in this case. otherwise i would go with an svs sub and some rf-7's. i have the money for this, but just cause i have money does not mean i want to spend it right? as it is right now, my dad wants me to spend some money. he says that this is the last year I will have money to spare so I should enjoy it while i can, cause after college i get no help from my parents, and the only money i will get from them while in college is to pay tuition and a monthly allowance. i am not complaining in any way, shape, or form. that is more than generous. so one weekend, while my mom is flying the country, I will go with my dad and get some speakers, but if the new ones are like $1599 a pair, ... then I may hold out for some nice eBay heresy's.

once i do get them, i will power them with my marantz pm500. any thoughts against that?

what kind of advice can you give me about brining speakers to college? i have never lived in a dorm, obviously, so what can you tell me about protecting myspeakers? they will be treated like my first born. no one will ever borrow them and they will never be put in a compromising situation, locks on the door for sure. can you think of any way to prevent someone from walking into the room and picking them up, carrying them to their car and taking off? sometimes my room mate will for sure leave the door unlocked, i may even forget once or twice. so how can i secure them in the room without physically altering them? eg no screws into the sides or bottoms. i was going to make a desk out of some University Horn speakers that I was making, but my half built speakers and $250 went to louisianna and never came back... never get help from a friend of a friend of the family...

i guess that is it for now...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

****, I had a 1000 word post, but I hit the back button and it went away, here is the short of it:

If your roomate(s) are crazy, get some speakers that are waterproof (beer-prof, barf-proof, s****-proom ,etc.) so they won't die. If he is cool and responcible (along with his friends), get what you want.

well i am not going to wait till i find out who my room mate is to get the speakers so i just need to know the price, any tips on getting them, and what to do once iget them an dbring them to college. what could i put over them to protect them from water stains from teh condensation off of beverages? hopefully my room mate will be a great guy with taste and money, but as my luck seems to be, he will be a egotistical sport/car/girl freak who is so cheap he 'forgets' his wallet whenever we order food or go out. i paid for three people tonight at dinner, my part of the bill ws $88. Hopefully never again. I am really tired of being taken advantage of, and I let them know that tonight, hence I got home before 1 am, 9pm instead. Oh well, they will no longer have a full kipsch home theater, pool table, 55 inch HDTV, progressive dvd player, air hockey, swimming pool, and what not to enjoy on behalf of me. they will have to find their own ways to have fun. glad i have real friends instead of these two faced rich kids.

yeah, so back to the topic, how much, what do i do when i bring them to college, what sub would compliment them, a small sub is a must.

could always just put a nice cloth over the top of them. Thats what my uncle does (he found some furniture grade things that work), so you don't have ot worry about cup rings. There really isn't anything yo ucan do to steal proof the speakers. even screwing them into the floor, they would still be very easy to steal because of their shape. Their height would give the theif alot of leverage and they would rip the screws out of the floor in no time. Personaly, I would get the RB-5's, and than a RSW-10 to go with them maybe. that set can be had for about 1600. For a dorm room, it would be perfect. I used the RB-5's before and was very impressed.

Justin...believe it or not the following is really GOOD ADVICE:

New Heresys will run over 1100 bucks a pair!!!

Used Heresys run less than half of that.

Used Heresys with raggedy birch cabinets are even cheaper than that.

Since no matter how hard you try to take care of them, somebody during your college years is gonna screw up the cabinets for you!!! It always happens!!! Do the following:

Buy some used Heresys on eBay with raggedy cabinets!!! Keep them raggedy looking while in college...they are gonna get that way anyway!! Then you don't have to worry about them, and they are less likely to get stolen from you!!! If anybody asks about them, tell them your dad built them a long time ago(no Klipsch Logos on the grille!!!) Never tell anybody what they really are, cause they will get stolen in a heartbeat!!!

If they survive college, I will personally build you some nice cabinets for them!!!

OK?

I agree with HBR on Heresy purchase. As to an economical, small sub - the HSU VTF 2 is a great bargain in a nice package. While I do not prefer it to even the smallest SVS - it is a great cube with decent extension and probably much easier to transport. Other than DIY stuff, you probably can't match the performance for anything less than 50% more cost.

I wouldn't count on the speakers surviving, so choose accordingly. Just think of the ways they can get trashed. Door left unlocked, neighbor down the hall wants some music, cranks your system so he can hear it, and blows one, or all, of the drivers. Somebody "borrows" them for a party and they get dumped in a pool. Clumsy kid puts a foot through a woofer. Or they just get stolen. Forget the finish surviving. And if you consider moving into a frat house, just be aware that Animal House wasn't all that far off from the mark, at least for many frats.

As far as Heresys go, even they might be too big for your dorm room. And even if you have room, you may not be able to use them the way you want considering your roomie and the other residents in the hall. Something smaller is probably more appropriate. Or, how about a killer set of headphones that get locked in a drawer when you are not there?

A pair of Heresys will ship across the country UPS or USPS for about $85. Unlike the newer Klipsch speakers made of MDF, they are likely to arrive intact if reasonably well packed. I have shipped four pairs. The only problem I had was one crossover network came loose because the person who had it out last didn't use the correct screws when he put it back.

malcom, that is depressing LoL!

Get some headphones you think? ok. done. How about Sennheiser HD600's? :) I got myself a pair for $225, and then got a pair for my dad for x-mas.

so should i just get the dynamic headphone amp for $479 and forget about getting heresy's?...

i am joining a frat, just FYI. :)

If the dorms my girls had are any indication you won't have much room for even Heresey sized speakers. Just listen to music over your computer and hit the books. If you're going to a good school you'll be busy with your studies anyway. If you go to a cow-college you'll have time for partying though.

Justin,

College was a long time ago. I knew a guy that had a pair of Heresies and all tube McIntosh gear, in the dorm. I had a Kenwood integrated amp and a pair of Marantz speakers larger than Heresies. I did not have time to use mine except on weekends. I always had the best luck with them on tall stands and covered with a towel. Ratty cabinets would be another good idea.

John

Man, living at home for college is sounding better and better for me!!! I mean, if someone breaks in, they will have to get past a Ruger P95 in well-traine dhands first 9.gif

Justin, go with the Heresy's with the beat up cabinets. If anything, you need to worry about cramming and parties, not the finish on your speakers!!! Also, were talking about $300-400 speakers, not $1000+++ things, so that will help.

As we all know, good components in a unflatering shell won't draw attention!!! But we know you will have to brag anyway!!! 2.gif

how about this?

i will get some cheap heresy's off eBay. use them in college, should i get another amp besides my PM500 cause it is now vintage i believe. i will not worry too much about them getting messed up cause they will not be brand new. but i still don't want someone to spill a beverage on them, something red say, and it leave a blood red stain. a towel won't help with that. is there any type of plastic elaminate that is clear that I can use? Like Contact paper? I would hate for it to leave a residue and ruin the finish, or lack there of, so that I would have to get it reveneered. but would that even happen?

someone kicking in the woofer. i would always have the grill on, but cloth wont save that, once again. so what can you do? reinforce the grill with some strips of wood or some metal poles, say 1/8" diameter? would not completely STOP someone's foot, but would hopefully slow it down and prevent damage to some extent.

someone blowing them. well under no circumstances would they be allowed out of my room. i made a switch that i used on my computer that would not allow power to the system without the key. so i could put that on the power to the amp and with out a key you could not turn it on. now i know people could go get another power cable, but it woudl sure be a deterrent.

keeping the speakers from leaving the room at all. how about i get like a defcon securing mechanism? it is guarenteed, so if someone DID steal them, they have to pay!

what else could happen to them? broken, scratched, stolen, i tihnk i covered it all. so is it still worth getting? or would it still just be too much hassle?

i plan to go to the University of Texas or the University of Missouri at Columbia, or the University of North Carolina at Chappell Hill. There are a few others in state I am looking at, but those are the top on my list. Now knowing this, if you have been to any of these campasses, what are the dorms like? room size etc. My second year if I go to the University of Texas i get a house, 2300 square feet, 3 bedroom. So i could have my own room and rent out the other two so up to 4 room mates, i could be raking in the money! LoL! But if I go out of state I wil be in a dorm or apartment my entire career there, unless I go to North Carolina where there is a small chance my mom is going to buy a house off campus since she goes there so much as it is.

Thanks for the help thus far!

No matter what you get, the biggest area of potential of damage is the speaker top. Get some plexiglass cut to size with rubber feetzies so the beverage of choice doesnt damage the finish. Polyurethane is about the only clear finish that I know of that can withstand alcohol. If you buy some beat cabinets, you can sand the tops then apply several coats of the stuff. Unless you lend your speakers out to a party I doubt that the drivers on a Heresy would be subject to physical (foot through type stuff)damage other than being overdriven. On the otherhand the RF series speakers are a college calamity waiting to happen.

As far as theft goes, Keep your door locked. Cash and pocketable items are more likely to be stolen than something that takes a coupla trips to be carried out.

I highly recommend getting some custom cut glass to cover the heresys. My mom has had a pair with the glass on them for 8 years and they are in perfect shape. This week I am ordering some glass to cover my RSW 15.

I also highly recommend the Heresys! They are some of the best speakers I have ever heard.