Paul Henry Klipsch R.A.F.

Bosco-d-gama

• Moderators
16 hours ago, dtel said:

Ok, this got me wondering, so I found a site and put my last name to see what would happen, either it is under 100 people or a bum website?

This was the result.....

No data. Surname not found.

Note: data only reflects surnames reported 100 or more times. If a name doesn't pop up, it's likely not as common.

In a National DL database (which only includes about 35 states, less than 100, and most of those are in LA.

Is it a Basque name? The highest concentration  are in Spain.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Too hard to track all the orangutans swinging from the family tree.

It really gets confusing, it seems we will mate with anything, I think there is even a squirrel in the tree?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

In a National DL database (which only includes about 35 states, less than 100, and most of those are in LA.

Is it a Basque name? The highest concentration  are in Spain.

I don't know, it is from somewhere in France. My sister did the whole family tree thing and after going through a pirate which my mother was upset about they traced it back to some guy in France. My mother was not happy at all about the pirate thing, or me laughing about it, like we have any choice about what happened in the past.

Luquet, it may have been spelled Luquette in the past? Jean Lafitte popped up somehow.

13 hours ago, dtel said:

I don't know, it is from somewhere in France. My sister did the whole family tree thing and after going through a pirate which my mother was upset about they traced it back to some guy in France. My mother was not happy at all about the pirate thing, or me laughing about it, like we have any choice about what happened in the past.

Luquet, it may have been spelled Luquette in the past? Jean Lafitte popped up somehow.

So, was Luquette the pirate?  Or, is it implied that Lafitte was your relative or Luquette's?   It's all a matter of balance.  One cites the good guys and forgets the bad guys.  In my case, I rarely mention Frank and Jesse James.  When my great grandmother (maiden name of Mary Jane James) used to get mad, my great grandfather would chant, "The James boys are a-comin' ... I can hear 'em a-com'in' " which would make her more furious, or provoke laughter when he chanted bending over, with his head in the rain barrel.   I am much quicker to mention John, Sam, John Q., Grizzly and Ansel Adams (Ansel is quite, quite distant).

As you may know, Jean Lafitte also popped up in the movie The Buccanneer (1958 version), played by Yul Brynner.  It was to be Cecil B. DeMille's last film but he was too ill with heart disease to direct it, so he produced, and then son-in-law Anthony Quinn directed.  Rent it and cheer for your relative, if he is the one who may be related.  If your mother is still around, invite her over to see that pirates were not all bad.  Some consider Lafitte to be one of those bad boy heroes.

image.png.f2e1adc95ff3aa7ac84219a0ae9462c0.png

Unfortunately the available sound elements were Mono (but fairly Hi Fi; crank up the bass).  Many VistaVision films are that way, partly because Paramount (the FaMother of Vistavision) thought the audience wouldn't care.  Sometimes the original music elements were recorded in Stereo on 35 mm full coat magnetic film, which had wider tracks and (usually) higher speed of travel than stereo mag tapes of the period.  Needless to say the sound was lush.  But apparently, not the Bucanneer.  Unless they are holding back something and there are mag Stereo tracks sitting around somewhere.  They are the ones who don't seem to care.  Vertigo, also made in VistaVision and released the same year, sported Stereo magnetic music elements, which Robert A. Harris used in the restoration.  Myriad stereo soundtracks were featured in films from 1953 on (or 1940 and 1952, respectively, if you count Fantasia and This is Cinerama).   David O. Selznick said, "Stereophonic sound never sold a ticket."  He was wrong.  My friends and I traveled to whatever S.F. Bay Area city was showing a particular film in Stereo, and went there.  The ticket price was usually higher, and then there was the gasoline, or, before we were driving age, bus fare, or parent persuasion.

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, garyrc said:

So, was Luquette the pirate?  Or, is it implied that Lafitte was your relative or Luquette's?   It's all a matter of balance.  One cites the good guys and forgets the bad guys.  In my case, I rarely mention Frank and Jesse James. 

I think she said Luquette's but I can't remember, supposedly somewhere down the line the last two letters were dropped, probably when they came to this country?

I didn't pay much attention really but that's what they told me. And you're right its about balance, there were probably some people along the line that was as bad or worse as the one that got famous? It all came to an end with the last person tracked to a guy in France, I don't remember even what years they were talking, so about all they learned was a few extra names of people.

Jessie James, that's funny what your grandfather would do. Could have been much worse like the Hatfields and McCoys, they still don't get along.

• Like 1