Differene between r 280 and 260 speakers

KLITE

Hello

Im wondering what the main differene will be between those two speakers in terms of bass depth and high range detail. Its not a huge living room where they will be placed. A friend whos a sound engineer said if i use an amp with the max rate provided by the m,anufaturer i shouldnt even need a subwoofer? 

Any help would be muh appreiated

• Like 1

• Moderators

No help here, just wanted to say welcome. 

I can't say, I have not heard either model. It would also depend on what kind of music you like. There are very few speakers that are not better with a sub added, there are NO full range speakers is probably a better way to say it. The extra power would make the speakers sound better but will not extend the range they can cover. Example, my mains are 6' wide but I still use a sub, they only go into the 30's, the sub goes below 20Hz.

You don't need a sub to start but may want to add one later. The main speaker can be set to not go as deep as it is designed which takes the hardest load off if it (and the amp) which helps it sound better, and the sub does the low end, or the hard to reproduce stuff. I would buy the best mains you can right now and maby add to it later. 

21 minutes ago, dtel said:

No help here, just wanted to say welcome. 

I can't say, I have not heard either model. It would also depend on what kind of music you like. There are very few speakers that are not better with a sub added, there are NO full range speakers is probably a better way to say it. The extra power would make the speakers sound better but will not extend the range they can cover. Example, my mains are 6' wide but I still use a sub, they only go into the 30's, the sub goes below 20Hz.

You don't need a sub to start but may want to add one later. The main speaker can be set to not go as deep as it is designed which takes the hardest load off if it (and the amp) which helps it sound better, and the sub does the low end, or the hard to reproduce stuff. I would buy the best mains you can right now and maybe add to it later. 

Id say these two slightly obscure tunes are easily on my top 50, if you like bass turn your system on put your finest speedos and get ready to swim in some bass.

Thanks for your input.

I like mainly bass lead genres of music like jungle and 00s dubstep. Im looking for something top notch that can mae me wanna swim in the bass while its clear and have ridiculous detail on the higher range. My friend whos a sound engineer reccomended either klipsch or naim audio. Cant find much on naim audio and i thnk perhaps theyre too pricey.

After reading a few reviews it seems the smarter choice i to go with the 280s... Though itd still be nice to hear input.

Id say these two slightly obscure tunes are easily on my top 50, if you like bass turn your system on put your finest speedos and get ready to swim in some bass.

Edited by KLITE
mistake
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Until others give some ideas I will just say the 280 will sound fine, but until you add a sub you will be missing out on a different sound, with your favorite music. To me almost anything past a little jazz and a sub is needed. Start with the mains, then later add a sub, if you can DIY many here can give you ideas, many build them and there are many different designs and sizes. This is the cheaper way to go to get serious bass. 

We'll see what other opinions they come up with?

• Like 2

If you have a small area, two 8" woofers (if you are choosing between those two) is best and will likely fill the space with reasonable bass output.  You may need to add additional bass via system settings.  A sub may be an overkill though I'm not sure if you want to bathe in the bass.  If so, a sub will likely be necessary.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KLITE said:

Im havving a bit of trouble on figuring out the  power rating for these speakers.

Spec sheet says 150 continuous with 600w peak at 8 ohms. Does that mean i should get an amp with 8ohms and 150w per channel?¿ 

Don't put too much stock in speaker power rating.  A quality amp with 100w/ch should be plenty under most conditions.  I drove my RF-63s with my "90w/ch" Yamaha integrated amp and believe me it provided plenty of low end slam for my large family room.

Are these speakers going to be in a 2-channel rig?

Bill

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KLITE said:

Im having a bit of trouble on figuring out the  power rating for these speakers.

Spec sheet says 150 continuous with 600w peak at 8 ohms. Does that mean i should get an amp with 8ohms and 150w per channel?¿ 

Hi Klite, welcome to the forums.

I would suggest the 280's.  Bigger is almost always better because it can play louder with less distortion.  It also gives you a bigger sound stage.

Given your chosen genre of dubstep you would really appreciate the power of a 15" or 18" sub.  A 15" will have a 500 watt amp.  There is no way a pair of speakers with 8" woofers and 100 watts can produce the lowest octave of a 500 watt 15" sub.  With the speakers you will hear the bass, with the sub you will feel the bass.

Don't get worried about specs, a modern AVR with 100-125 wpc can be had at a reasonable cost and will drive the 280's as loud as you want to hear them.

To get the sound I think you would like, try a sub.

• Like 1