Facebook on PBS Frontline

Zen Traveler

3 hours ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

Zen - I don't know how old you are but I have been very politically active since the 1964 presidential election and am keenly aware of how news cycles and news outlets are used to manipulate and direct the voting public.

I haven't been at it as long but in the last 35 years have been involved discussing the issues I have been interested in. Over the last 20 years I have put my thoughts in writing for debate and most of that was done on this forum. 

Both parties employ these techniques. What is going in today is nothing new.

Well...That's not what the Facebook documentary showed and why they are changing substantially on several fronts.

What is new is that the technology to deliver the propaganda has gotten orders of magnitude more efficient and effective.

Now that IS what the documentary explained. In fact Stamos said what made the Facebook situation different was that these outside groups (I don't remembering them mentioning any being Democrat) were able to target individuals who didn't realize Facebook was also garnering outside information on their users and giving their venders cart blanch access to this material--There was not a "Cambridge Analytica" on the Democratic side and Brad Parscale bragged about gaming the system for his candidate. 

Couple that with an increasing degree of mental laziness where the consumers of said propaganda seem to disconnect their internal "BS Detectors" as long as the propaganda reinforces their preconceived biases and the technology becomes even more effective.

Yep. That is why I keep saying the conversations we had in our now defunct forum would be invaluable to prove that point,

Government censorship is not the answer. Never is in a free society.

We are in agreement here...That said, people no longer seem to discuss politics on Facebook and there doesn't seem to be a venue where people want to get together with friends to talk about/debate these issues. 

6 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Both parties employ these techniques. What is going in today is nothing new.

Well...That's not what the Facebook documentary showed

You really should watch it again from a new perspective.  Granted, there will be much talk about the winner, but this is just the most recent go-round.

Just now, oldtimer said:
5 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Since the news he describes is spun out of bias, perhaps he should more accurately use the phrase, "disingenuous news."

Perhaps he should shut up and realize the first amendment.

Nah.  Debate is healthy.  If you believe in the First, why would you want to shut him up?

6 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

His definition is whatever he doesn't like.

And in turn by him using the phrase in a manner that isn't literally correct becomes what they were trying to get the term "Alternative facts," to mean--In this case Jeff is making the argument for 'em....After all, who knows what Truth really is? 😕 While I was typing the above you this and feel the answer is the same.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Since the news he describes is spun out of bias, perhaps he should more accurately use the phrase, "disingenuous news."

Again, you are making a general statement that we can't discuss without getting overtly political--CNN is not a "Fake News" organization anymore so than FoxNews and both I am willing to consider factual in their reporting actual news. 

Just now, Zen Traveler said:
8 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Again, you are making a general statement that we can't discuss without getting overtly political--CNN is not a "Fake News" organization anymore so than FoxNews and both I am willing to consider factual in their reporting actual news. 

You're more generous than me.  I consider it spun entertainment for political hacks who need some facts thrown into the mix for authenticity.

3 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:
13 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

There was not a "Cambridge Analytica" on the Democratic side

They tried a different strategy with that golden shower memo and other tactics.

If you are equating the two remember in all our conversations you are the only one bringing up that incident. I also don't think it has much bearing on the Mueller investigation but we'll see. Regardless, floating a story is different than manipulating the whole platform of Facebook.

9 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

You really should watch it again from a new perspective.  Granted, there will be much talk about the winner, but this is just the most recent go-round.

I watched it 2 times all of the way through. The last time was to see where you got the statistic of percentage of Americans getting their news from facebook--It was from a passing comment on one of the tvs blaring that information and not the statistic Frontline used from Pew Research Center: http://www.niemanlab.org/2016/05/pew-report-44-percent-of-u-s-adults-get-news-on-facebook/

6 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Regardless, floating a story is different than manipulating the whole platform of Facebook.

If fake news on Facebook is credited for the win, I suppose you're right.  Maybe the opposition needs better marketing people.

Who's dishing out fake news here?  https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/washington-post-trump-passport-crackdown_us_5b9ec246e4b046313fbc2bd1

13 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

If this is true, I imagine moderation is taking the fun out of it.

There is no moderation to what a person posts on their feed unless someone flags it. What seems to be different since the scandal broke is that now folks don't want to be seen as blindly posting these memes and fake news stories because now it makes them look stupid--Before it was just cool to do so. 

27 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:
48 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

There is only one person who keeps up bringing up the term "Fake News," on a daily basis for the last year and what he describes isn't fake.

Now we actually have come full circle--I suggest you won't find him uttering those words before Clint Watts explained before congress that it was this "Fake News," that  first got his attention and was being surreptitiously distributed on the internet--President Trump started using that term afterward and I won't speculate here why he did so on here for obvious reasons. 

7 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

If fake news on Facebook is credited for the win, I suppose you're right.  Maybe the opposition needs better marketing people.

Who's dishing out fake news here?  https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/washington-post-trump-passport-crackdown_us_5b9ec246e4b046313fbc2bd1

You do realize what that means...who was more stringent on immigration?  LOL, this is the kind of real news he would rather not see.

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:
10 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

You do realize what that means...who was more stringent on immigration?  LOL, this is the kind of real news he would rather not see.

Irrelevant, except to the extent we're not talking about fake news.