Facebook on PBS Frontline

Zen Traveler

Just now, oldtimer said:

Haha, it was never their country.  It has always been the country of the rich and powerful which now is primarily corporate.  You know that, and have argued that in the past.

You know I mean "their country" in a stylistic sense, right?  They fear for it.  Ask Zen.  He does, too.

3 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:
5 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

,American politics are inane, throwing around terms like left and right when the actual practical differences are quite small.

To the contrary, to the right people, these differences are astronomical.

I agree with Jeff, here. The interesting thing to contemplate is where did all of the folks who labeled themselves as Conservatives go?

3 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

To the contrary, to the right people, these differences are astronomical.  Just think of the defense industry, for example.  Big projects are commenced or shot down based on who's in office.

Exactly.  It's a very narrow crowd, of the haves.  Overall, the political differences are quite small.  usually they are exaggerated by an opposition to increase profit, not that they re losing money with one or the other.

1 minute ago, Zen Traveler said:

I agree with Jeff here but the interesting thing to discuss is where did all of the folks who labeled themselves as Conservatives go?

=== been reading this as a spectator. Where did the ones labeled conservative go? Same place, though diametrically opposite, as those labeled liberal — to the farthest end of each spectrum. Leaving zero, none, nada middle ground — 

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Exactly.  It's a very narrow crowd, of the haves.  Overall, the political differences are quite small.  usually they are exaggerated by an opposition to increase profit, not that they re losing money with one or the other.

They do win and lose based on who's in office.  We had a rather large defense contractor about 25 miles away have to close up shop because Uncle Sam ended its contract with them.   Even with the big boys, there's plenty of competition.

Just now, oldtimer said:

Rather large?  describe.  And was it because who was in office or because the competition had a better product?  I haven't heard of a major defense corporation going under for quite awhile.

I can't say the whole company was brought down, but here is the one:  https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/nuts-and-bolts/2013/10/the-straw-that-broke-baes-back-in-sealy.html

1 minute ago, Jeff Matthews said:

They're still there.  Voting for Republicans.  Did you kind of miss the last election, or something?

Actually I was talking about traditional conservatives. The ones who supported fiscal responsibility.

2 minutes ago, richieb said:

=== been reading this as a spectator. Where did the ones labeled conservative go? Same place, though diametrically opposite, as those labeled liberal — to the farthest end of each spectrum. Leaving zero, none, nada middle ground — 

Actually the statistics don't back up this claim. Fwiw, I never labeled myself as a liberal because I don't support all of their causes. I also want fiscal responsibility and have argued to increase taxes and reign in costs....Keep in mind that President Obama and John Boehner signed the Sequester and President Trump through that out the window. That was "middle ground," I wanted to see capitalized on. 

11 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Overall, the political differences are quite small.  usually they are exaggerated by an opposition

I don't see how you can say this given what is happening with deregulation, climate change and environmental policy and none more so dramatic as what is happening in Foreign Policy.