Facebook on PBS Frontline

Zen Traveler

Well, you know I am not partisan either.  So far only the "more salacious" aspects have been admittedly unproven, and very likely unable to be proven.  I do seem to recall that some basic facts, not of the salacious scandal variety, have been corroborated by intelligence and counter intelligence regarding the infamous dossier.  That story is so old in today's "news cycle" that a lot of details are forgotten by many, which does pave the way for the spin doctors of all stripes to steer the "narrative."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

That story is so old in today's "news cycle" that a lot of details are forgotten my many, which does pave the way for the spin doctors of all stripes to steer the "narrative."

Yes.  You and me, included.  However, you can't expect a credible fake to be too outlandish, now can you?  I would imagine there are all types of "ties" to Russia.  Trump has a thing for Russian (former Soviet) women.  He obviously wants to look big there.  This takes "ties."

Nonetheless, it is exciting in a way to see how it is panning out.  My friend and I were talking about this last night, and he agreed that no matter which way any of it goes, we'll all keep right on buying iPhones.

Back to fb and social media, the senate reports conclude without a doubt in their minds that there was a dedicated offensive to interfere and disrupt and sow doubt and confusion, by the Russians.

Then there is this, the jerk goes on---https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/as-facebook-raised-a-privacy-wall-it-carved-an-opening-for-tech-giants/ar-BBR9Ngy?ocid=spartanntp

Can you do the scrabblegram---CNUT?

9 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Back to fb and social media, the senate reports conclude without a doubt in their minds that there was a dedicated offensive to interfere and disrupt and sow doubt and confusion.

Then there is this, the jerk goes on---https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/as-facebook-raised-a-privacy-wall-it-carved-an-opening-for-tech-giants/ar-BBR9Ngy?ocid=spartanntp

Can you do the scrabblegram---CNUT?

Ha!  If I understand it correctly (tl/dr), FB is claiming it did not allow access of its user data to 3rd-Parties because it was actually to partnerships between such 3rd-parties and itself - thus, technically remaining internal to FB and for its use.

What a cock-and-bull story by FB, but who really cares whether Apple knows you are the friend of Polly Sue, who owns an iPad?  "Gee, Oldie, can we interest you in the latest iPhone?"  It's like baseless rage from the consumer.  FB will find a way to market that iPhone to you, one way or another.

Just now, oldtimer said:

Well, don't you think the data was more than just friend of polly sue? 

They really don't care who you are.  You are just a potential buyer of something.  That's it.

On another note, the developing story on apparent conflicts just keeps rolling along...

President Trump signed a "bulls--t" letter of intent to build a Trump Tower in Moscow during the 2016 campaign, Rudy Giuliani conceded Tuesday...

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-news-trump-tower-russia-letter-intent-20181219-story.html

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

There is actually a place for true consumer rage,and while it is still about a public entity, it isn't about a corporation, regardless that both deserve it.

Does anyone even read FB TOS?  TBH, I don't think I've ever read a TOS, except maybe 20 years ago b/c I wondered what in the heck might be in those sorts of things.  It's always, "We're not liable if we kill you and burn your house down."  Ummmm.... OK.  I agree.

3 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

They really don't care who you are.

But you might when the data about more than you ever wanted them to have ends up in the hands of someone you never wanted or dreamed of them having.  Whether you buy anything from the first disclosure, they will then sell to someone else.  Remember the massive collection by the NSA, (still happening) and concurrently the same massive collection by google (still happening)?  Temporary outrage, then meh.  Which should you fear more?  NSA or Google?  Or should there be no fear?

4 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Does anyone even read FB TOS?  TBH, I don't think I've ever read a TOS, except maybe 20 years ago b/c I wondered what in the heck might be in those sorts of things.  It's always, "We're not liable if we kill you and burn your house down."  Ummmm.... OK.  I agree.

Yep.  Plus the "you have no privacy or pretense thereof because we can and will invade whatever we can get and not only that, use it however we want for whatever reason and share it with whomever we want."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

But you might when the data about more than you ever wanted them to have ends up in the hands of someone you never wanted or dreamed of them having.  Whether you buy anything from the first disclosure, they will then sell to someone else.  Remember the massive collection by the NSA, (still happening) and concurrently the same massive collection by google (still happening)?  Temporary outrage, then meh.  Which should you fear more?  NSA or Google?  Or should there be no fear?

Well, TBH, I don't know what they could gather about me that I should be concerned about.  I do get the argument from people (maybe including you) that the concern is giving them data that might be used against you in a way we cannot currently anticipate.  

1 hour ago, T2K said:

Keep breathing Jeff. Keep breathing.

Keith

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

That's what it's all about, Keith.  You taught me that, believe it or not.  😉

There's an old saying that as long as a person is breathing then he is learning. That only applies to around 50% of the population today.

It's not about the women in this particular case, it's about money. Always has been. Money gives rise to women.

Another old saying is that if you let a man talk long enough he'll tell you anything you want to know. An example of that is the person that has been telling us he's guilty for the last 2 years.

Keith

13 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I assume this is real news:

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethbaumann/2018/12/17/mission-accomplished-christopher-steele-admits-he-was-hired-to-cast-doubt-on-the-n2537657

Political motivation.  False narratives.  Now, defamation lawsuits.  I wouldn't just write this off as no big deal.  Our DOJ is caught up right in the middle of it.

Ummm...I think a false narrative is being assumed with this story. Clinton wasn't worried about Trump winning but questioning HER win given at the time he was questioning the election results if she won--Again, it goes back down to who is gullible enough to believe conspiracy theories without actual facts..."Alternative Facts" mixed in with the "Fake News"  is still the working premise the only change is that they are now in office. I predicted at the time the president and Bannon were about to engage in a worldwide alt-right media empire. Fwiw, the former is engaged in that right now.

12 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Both sides play this way, too!  (You think I'm partisan, but I'm really not).

You are definitely partisan in historical discussions with me.

We know the FBI and DOJ are political arms which seem to view themselves as a fourth branch of government - and not without the sanction of the Supreme Court, which has conceded to the notion that the DOJ has to operate with some barely-articulable "independence" from the Executive branch.  Otherwise, nobody will be there to police the police.

I disagree the FBI and DOJ or political arms of government--You and the POTUSA may feel that way but they are not.

It's a bizarre power-play, and it's interesting to watch it play-out. 

Nope. It's a simple political crime drama and the problems stems from one party not caring to vet their candidate--Bring back that BS Thread that you started back in June of 2015 and I could prove my point! ;) 

12 hours ago, oldtimer said:

That story is so old in today's "news cycle" that a lot of details are forgotten my many, which does pave the way for the spin doctors of all stripes to steer the "narrative."

Yes.  You and me, included.  However, you can't expect a credible fake to be too outlandish, now can you?  I would imagine there are all types of "ties" to Russia.  Trump has a thing for Russian (former Soviet) women.  He obviously wants to look big there.  This takes "ties."

You seem to be coming around but it's not about the women but about the MONEY and egotism. This isn't rocket science, 

8 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

do get the argument from people (maybe including you) that the concern is giving them data that might be used against you in a way we cannot currently anticipate.  

This thread was started on this premise and we witnessed the results in our own forum prior to it being shut down. Folks thought they were 'News junkies" on Facebook when in reality they were being fed what they wanted to see because on an algorithm or two...IOW, they thought more people thought like them and their "Newsfeed" was backing up that belief with facts, that ended up being manufactured. THAT is my biggest takeaway from this documentary, especially when coupled with our discussions back then.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:
20 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethbaumann/2018/12/17/mission-accomplished-christopher-steele-admits-he-was-hired-to-cast-doubt-on-the-n2537657

Political motivation.  False narratives.  Now, defamation lawsuits.  I wouldn't just write this off as no big deal.  Our DOJ is caught up right in the middle of it.

Ummm...I think a false narrative is being assumed with this story. Clinton wasn't worried about Trump winning

So, you think Steele is giving a false confession?

7 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

We know the FBI and DOJ are political arms which seem to view themselves as a fourth branch of government - and not without the sanction of the Supreme Court, which has conceded to the notion that the DOJ has to operate with some barely-articulable "independence" from the Executive branch.  Otherwise, nobody will be there to police the police.

I disagree the FBI and DOJ or political arms of government--You and the POTUSA may feel that way but they are not.

What planet have you been on?  Which of the 3 branches is in control of the investigation?

• Confused 1