Who has a pair of Oil filled AA networks?

jazman

Let me show my ignorance here...are you looking for stock AA networks? Let's see if this works:

aa%20network.jpg

I can send a pair of these for you to listen to if these are what you are talking about. I may even be willing to trade for a nice pair of Brimars (or how to get in touch with your Brimar supplier)!

I have seen a lot of positive remarks from people like Guy Landau who built Type A (as opposed to the AA) crossovers using modern oils to great result preferring them to everything he has had including ALKs, which he is selling. I know these float for the Khorn but have not seen anyone try them with Belle. Do you remember the post references?

I am still considering trying the ALKS for a review but have to come up with the ducats for the trial.

kh

Edster,

Those are the AA's I'd like to sample. I'll email my Brimar info, but the well has been pretty dry lately.

Mobile, Mike,

When you think you've got Klipsch nailed on which parts are in what vintage speakers, here comes the curve ball. I'm attaching a shot from edwarde of the two types of AA networks. I have the type on the left.

It's possible a cap change would be the better permanent solution, but simply swapping the oils in would give me an idea what I would want to do. Klipsch does not carry these parts due to some containing PCB's, maybe another reason to do the cap operation. Trey thought I should use Mylars. I remember Guy had mentioned a modification he had done, and sent him an email but not sure the Klipsch email component worked. I'll try again.

If the attached file does not work, I'll post it to my web space and provide a link.

Thanks to all who responded. Stay tuned jnorv, being close could allow me to pick them up for a short borrow period. I'll be on the road a lot the next two weekends because my son has games in Oakland, San Jose, and Roseville. Where are you?

Klipsch out.

post-7998-138192455336_thumb.jpg

Guy, this is what you had to say on the issue with the AA vs the A vs the ALK:

I am not saying that Al's crossovers are not good.I have lived with Al's crossovers for more than 2 years and they are indeed very good and much better than the stock AA's.I am not under estimating Q-man's audition but I guess that my system is more revealing than his.I would like to add that I can enjoy listening to my system at even lower level (now with Type A)than before and was surprised to hear much greater detail at all frequencies from the lower bass till the higher highs including an amazing and natural midrange,which means that less information is lost on the way.

So, what did you use to build your Type A crossovers parts-wise? Also, where is the schematic again?

kh

ps- this for others in need. I, of course, have the Type B, about as simple as you can get, in my 77 CW.

type_b.jpg

Kelly,

Here's the schematic.

I have used Solen 10AWG Hepta-Litz inductor,Multicap ppmfx 13mf capacitor(6mf+7mf)and Hovland 2.2mf from my ALK.

As for the type A:I think that they are the best crossovers for the Klipschorn.I also think that if I had invested more time and money on my type AA and have rebuilt them with same quality parts and cancell the protection diods,I could have gotten a better sound than with the ALK's but I guess that I did not know back then,what I do know now and was afraid to experiment.

post-5419-1381924553417_thumb.jpg

Thanks mobile,

Great shot of your Type B. Very simple. Did you remove the diode or is that the original configuration? The board and wiring look very new. I assume you were able to see the attached photo of what's in my Belles, so oil AAs should be a good move, as well as a possible upgrade of my present network with better caps.

Guy,

If you don't get the email I sent, it's because the contact button does not yield anything but a form to send an email message. My email address is edmond@pcmagic.net.

Jnorv,

I also sent you an email message via the email button, so in case you do not get it, contact me via the above email address. I'll be in San Jose Sunday afternoon for a game.

Klipsch out.