78 rpm are cool too.

I find it hard than many can't seem to believe this. I've several hundred 78's and some of them are my favorite disks. Early Duke Ellington, Rock and Roll that sounds like it used to, but much better, Bix, Armstrong, and even more fun dozens of groups nobody's heard from since doing really cool stuff.

Texas Jim Robertson and His Panhandle Punchers!!! Yank Rachel and 38 Pistol Blues. It's endless, and I can't get enough.

78, I assume due to the speed, often has the most open sound of any source. Like LP's, they do much better recorded to 24/96 than CD.

Anybody who auditions my system gets a healthy dose of, just like tubes and horns, newer is not neccessarily better.

Dave

Dave

I have got a TON of 78s inherited from my Dad and this stuff is EXCELLENT. Mallet is right; they have this great tone...not a ton of deep bass mind you..but great sense of LIFE that is hard to quantify.

Trouble is, I dont have a table or cartridge that plays them anymore! I almost bought a Thorens last year for the 78s alone. You need the right stylus and a good 78rpm table. Alas, I never did and I feel a bit guilty as they are just sitting there not being played. They are also so hard to store and so damn HEAVY! BEASTS!

Believe it or not the audiophile I ran into who first recommended the "M" turntable (MM-7) to me, says he prefers to play his 78s on old wind-up units which he apparently also collects. He says the surface noise is hardly noticeable with those old Wooden Horns!

I find my old 78s surprisingly exciting, but I doubt I would go the route of collecting old "Victrolas" etc. There simply is no more room in the house. I thought the comment about the wooden horns interesting.

-c&s

Mobile - I've been agonizing over the ability to play 78s for my upcoming turntable purchase decision.

The VPI Aries & Aries Scout have a 78 option, but I would still need a different cartridge and perhaps a different phono that has the proper equalization?

The Progressive Engineering unit looks appealing with the ability to allow two tone arms and cartridge setups. Seems like this might be a bit expensive though,

The Thorens 2nd table approach is also worth considering. The TD-124s have been popping up quite a bit lately. Seems the market price on them has hit a high note.

If I had your 78s collection I would have purchased a 78 capable TT by now! Get off the fence man.

- tb

My Dual CS-5000 can play 78's but like others, I would need a 78 cartridge. I've debated getting one but I don't have any 78's to play either. There is a antique store in Orlando where I saw they had a couple hundred of them and were selling them for a buck a piece. Maybe I should look into it...

Mike

To be totally honest here, if you dont have any 78s and are new to vinyl and wanting to get a good TT setup, I would not START a 78rpm collection. It is worthwhile to be able to play the collection you have if large.... And they do sound special. But I would not poor resources from your normal vinyl rig setup. The condition of most of these 78s is VERY poor when bought used unless really taken care of. Problem is, they are VERY old and a majority have been NOT taken care of at all. Even my Dad's collection has quite a few bad apples from when he was a kid playing them over and over and placing them all over... To find mint condition 78s is not an everyday experience. And I would pour my time and energy into getting a really top notch vinyl/TT/preamp setup. The 78 needs a dedicated stylus and a table with the ability to go 78rpm. You could have a separate head shell with a 78 cartridge/stylus for your table if so equipped. But to start your collection from scratch would be tough. In addition, most of the better tables do not play 78rpm.

kh

Thanks for that info. Now that you explain it that way, it makes a a lot of sense. I think I'll forget about 78 for now. Thanks.

BTW: Just opened the latest Stereophile and noticed Acoustic Sounds is releasing some interesting titles on 180-gram 45 RPM Vinyl.

- tb

I own about 200 various jazz 78's. Lots of Dial, Savoy, Prestige, Mercury and even a few Pacific Jazz and Contemporary. I spin them on my old, reliable TD-124. I do this a few times a year--it's a pain to remove the SPU and set up the Shure 78 cartridge (been looking for a "78" mono SPU for YEARS--they are out there, but as scarce as hen's teeth). I'll spend 2-3 days playing 78's and then go back to the LP set-up.

In excellent condition, these 78's can REALLY sound spectacular. My copy of "Up in Dodo's Room" on Dial is in MINT MINT MINT condition and it sounds better than ANY reissue I've ever heard by a factor of about TEN. Even in "OK" condition these old 78's are a real treat.

78's are a reall ball.

What is a good (cheap) TT new w/warranty that can play 78's?

I know about the modified Technics SL1200, and the general dislike of DD TT's among serious audio enthusiasts, so while doing a Google search I found this:

http://www.vestax.com/products/bdt2500.htm

It can be bought online for $287 shipped with cartridge, it's belt-drive, and weighs #20.

Any comments?

Regards,

Greg

post-7121-13819245550572_thumb.jpg

Tim,

FYI,

The Scout will allow you to use additional JMW 9 tonearms and cartridge setups if you so desire. The uni-pivot arm can simply be unplugged from the junction box, lifted from the pivot and the second rested on the pivot and plugged in. VTA can be adjusted to suit either cartridge.

I agree with Kelly that if you don't already have a collection of 78's, starting one, with 78's in good condition, could be a trial of many dollars. You could probably have more success finding vintage mono or "Hi-Hi" 33 1/3 LPs with lots of life in them. I recently purchased two such 1957 recordings.

"Basie Inside/Basie Outside" VSP Verve VSP/VSPS-12

Ella Fitzgerald & Billie Holiday at Newport(1957) Verve MGV-8235. At $5.95 for the two wonderful ladies and $1.95 for the Count with a 1957 Newport version of "One O'Clock Jump" with solos by Roy Eldridge, Illinois Jacquet, Lester Young, Joe Newman. They are not collector grade covers, but the vinyl is in great condition to be almost half a century old and they are about as heavy as 180 gram vinyl.

Klipsch out.

Edmond,

I just discovered that about the tonearms while doing some online reading. I've already nixed the 78 idea and feel that there is more than enough 33 1/3 & 45 LP material out there to keep me busy anyway.

On the topic of Vinyl do any of you purchase stuff from Elusive Disc, Music Direct or Acoustic Sounds ? I see lots and lots of titles I'd like to own, most of them in the $25 - $50 range. Should I assume these prices reflect high quality Vinyl? I am considering some of the yet to be released 45 RPM newly cut from masters pressings (Analogue Productions). http://store.acousticsounds.com/fantasyjazz.cfm

Thanks for the feedback...

- tb