Next speaker project is lining up right now

HDBRbuilder

After I finish with these LaScalas, and they are sold, I intend to start on some Cornwalls. If anybody is in need of replacement Cornwall cabinets, give me a holler. I may use some of the "leftovers" to build up a few pairs of Heresy cabinets, too...again...if you need some, give me a holler, please!

want a pair of them all.....well atleast trying to figure out how to get those LaScala your building i know they are going to be great.....got any ideas what i can do with my old LaScala boxes they are not bad just need some work....well still thinking on this,,,,open to ideas...rick

Rick...do you have a patio or a pool? You can always take the old cabinets, fill in all the dents and such, give them a good sanding, then laminate formica over them...take a router and round over the outside edges...apply some metal corners and some anodized aluminum 90 degree channel between the corners, using some silicone caulk to seal those parts to the edges/corners, and screws to secure them...and use them for outside parties and such...you can even put them on some kinda dolly thing...where they sit with their bottoms in welded angle iron with casters on the corners...and are highly portable that way...just get some more guts for em and find a use for them!! All kinds of possibilities there! Hell...if you spend alot of garage time in the garage...mount them upside down in two of the garage ceiling corners, and play em while you are changing oil and such!! I would personally put some grille cloth on the entire fronts though, in order to keep the dirt daubers and such out of them...same for the backs of them!!

BTW...look at me now...I have "no life"...LOL!...and it only took 7 months on this BB to get that way!!...LOL!

BTW...I need a copy of that article or whatever it is where they describe the Cornwall modifications, such as internal bracing and such...Somebody gave a website, but I could never get it to pull up for me...anybody got a copy of that article thing laying around? Thanks in advance!!

I think I have posted this website I made so many times, it hurts! heh... And I dont think anyone ever goes to it when I DO post it!

But here it goes again. Here is the Klipsch Cornwall internal modification article to make them more rigid. See my comments.

Speaker Builder Article on Klipsch Cornwall Cabinet Mods

http://www.progressive-engineering.com/klipsch/cornwall_mod.htm

ps- This page opens up to some comments and then the link to the zip file with the article. Let me know if you have any problems.

Chuck...

A ballpark figure for a Cornwall cabinet is kinda out in left field...since oak veneered wood runs about 50 bucks a sheet, and walnut veneered wood runs over 90 bucks a sheet...see what I mean?? It also depends on what the customer wants...mitered corners...or butt joints like on the decorator line...flush front or dropped-in front...lots of variables...so a ballpark figure is not exactly easy to give...It is kinda like saying I am gonna get a Chevy truck...without saying anything else about it...and asking a ballpark figure for a Chevy truck...know what I mean? Like...which model of Chevy truck? What options? Do you want it painted solid color or multi-tone with graphics? Leather or vinyl interior? Club cab or two-door? Bucket seats or bench seat?...etc...etc...etc!

You tell me what you are interested in and I can give you a "ballpark" figure! The ballpark figure is dependent on two things...material cost and labor cost. You gotta tell me what you want it made outta...and how you want it made...then I can give you a ballpark figure, ok?

Kelly...thanks for that site, but whenever I try to bring it up after downloading it...it says "format is not supported" ...so I still can't use it! 8.gif

Builder,

What Im thinking about is a center channel to go with my current Cornwalls. Considering that the pictures of your La Scalas are just gorgeous, I would want something just as magnificent. That would include mitered corners and oak veneer. Beyond that Im open to you suggestions.

Since the top of a Cornwall is too narrow (and too high) for a good-sized TV, this speaker would need to be put on its side to serve as a stand. Do you see any problem with re-aligning the drivers (see jpg) so they are aligned on the opposite axis to a standard? What would you suggest?

Chuck

post-9544-13819245556068_thumb.jpg

Prodj...

Hell, the factory likely can't even make a pair of plain birch raw LaScala cabinets for $1,000 or less...and they are set up to do major production!!...cutting the parts for over a hundred at a time!! How the hell do you think I can? LOL!

You gotta understand...these oak ones I am building are going for a song...and I won't be making anymore of them this damned cheap...for ANYBODY! I am only trying to recoup my material costs and a MINISCULE amount of the time I have into these first three pairs of oak ones...if I was actually trying to make a living off of these, I would be asking almost twice as much as I am!!

If I had been spending this much in materials and my time...making something like kitchen cabinets, then I would be sitting on AT LEAST about 15,000 bucks right now!!!

Figure it this way...in cabinetry and woodworking...just as in construction...the final cost of a product normally runs about FOUR TIMES the material cost...that is basing the final cost on the LABOR running 1.5 times the material cost, or LESS! And in the material cost, are included the OVERHEAD costs...it ain't just the wood used...it is wear and tear of saw blades, router bits, the power tools, the shop rental, insurance, etc...etc...etc. So...if the wood costs...say...300 bucks for a pair of speakers(and when you are ripping out bookmatches and such it is actually more than that in wood costs!!!), then the overhead costs (less the labor costs)on just a standard build in raw birch will be around another 75 or more bucks(this figure is extremely low compared to REALITY, too!)...which is 375 bucks, MINIMUM...which is just 20% of the final cost...and that doesn't even INCLUDE dealer mark-up...I am talking about direct from the maker to the consumer...NO MIDDLEMEN!! So...we are seeing about $1,475 MINIMUM for a pair of standard-build raw speakers direct from a FACTORY...no middlemen!! And what I am building AIN'T a standard build...and I AIN'T a FACTORY, either!! LOL!

Whoever gets a pair of these oak LaScalas is gonna have one of the ONLY four pairs of oak LaScalas EVER MADE!! And they are being made in the manner of fine furniture...with the bonus of a few "improvements" in the soundpath of the bass bin portion of the original design...to clean it up some(by smoothing the surfaces and eliminating some "sound trap" areas)...and hopefully further reduce some possible distortion....something the factory CAN'T AFFORD to do if they expect to ever make any profit from them!!

Chuck...

What you need is a copy in oak of the original Cornwall II model...which had its tweeter and midrange horn mounted in the same manner as your pic...but at the opposite end from the ports. There just isn't enough room to mount those horns the way you have them in your pic. What you want will also require some re-inforcement mods to support a TV...but be advised that the tv sitting atop it will end up picking up SOME vibrations from it...unless you just put a table OVER the Cornwall and sit your tv on the table!! I can build it like that, and I would assume you want an inset black-painted front with room for a grille cloth panel, just like on the originals...and likely you will want a riser for its "side". Keep in mind that I do not intend to completely redesign any speaker...but basically build a replacement cabinet. Klipsch made the Cornwall with its horn lenses aligned in the manner in which you want them...but not in the manner in which you have it drawn. All it really requires to build one like the Cornwall II is a different router form for the front of the speaker...everything else remains the same, dimensionally speaking.

HDBR- Re the article file from Mobile Homeless. Do you have Winzip and Acrobat Reader installed on your PC? You'll need them to read this. A trial version of Winzip can be downloaded free at winzip.com and Acrobat reader is free at adobe.com. If you can't get it, I do have a copy of the article if you have a fax number.

Andy, you actually REALLY NEED WINZIP on your machine as so many sites and many, many programs, attachments etc use ZIP files. I dont know how you have gotten along so far without Winzip already! IT is a necessity and one of the FIRST things I install on a new machine.

If you DONT have Winzip, go HERE to download:

WINZIP INSTALL LINK: http://cws.internet.com/comp-winzip.html

Also, the article is not an Adobe .pdf, but actual .jpg pics of the article. You should be able to read it without Adobe although Adobe Acrobat Reader is another must-have on your machine.

To make things easier, here is the article pages linked directly.

CORNWALL CABINET MOD SPEAKER BUILDER ARTICLE by PAGE

Page 1: http://www.progressive-engineering.com/klipsch/CW_mod1.jpg

Page 2: http://www.progressive-engineering.com/klipsch/CW_mod2.jpg

Page 3: http://www.progressive-engineering.com/klipsch/CW_mod3.jpg

That should do it. You still need to get Winzip for your machine, however. IT will come in handy and it makes me work less! heh...

kh

Kelly, et.al...

I DO HAVE Adobe Acrobat reader...AND WINZIP...they NORMALLY WORK, too!!!...but for some odd reason, they would NOT work on that site...Don't ask me why, cause I have absolutely NO IDEA what the problem was!!...LOL! I just sat here scratching my head the first time I tried to download it a few weeks(months??) ago...and then went through the same routine again this time...I just kept getting one of those "format not-supported" messages whenever I tried to DL it...it is really perplexing, too!! Especially when I just opened a zip file the other day with NO PROBLEM!! LOL!

Kelly, thanks for taking the time and effort to send it the way you did...I really appreciate it!!