Spend $10'000

dane

I am building a new house and need help spending $10'000 for a home theater. The main HT area is 14' wide x 16' long with a 12' high vaulted ceiling. The back opens up into the kitchen and dining areas which have 9' ceilings. Hardwood floors everywhere, about 7'000 cubic ft. all totaled and windows down the 16' wall. I have wires burried in the walls for in wall rear and ceiling surrounds. I have purcheased nothing yet.

The system will be used 80% for watching TV, 10% for DVD movies and 10% for music. Most viewing will be done in the main area seated about 12-14' from the tv but the wife will also watch from the kitchen when preparing another wonderful meal.

Help me pick out a TV, receiver and speakers...

Hi Dane, welcome to the Forum!

$10K huh? You want T.V., speakers, and a receiver. Don't you also need a DVD player?

So, the system will be oriented towards video/TV, and not necessarily music.

Hardwood floors and glass. Bad.

O.K. 7.1

RF5's (mains) in your choice of finish (cherry, maple, or black ash) -- $1500

http://www.klipsch.com/products/cutsheet.asp?id=386

RC7 (center) in your choice of finish -- $800

http://www.klipsch.com/products/cutsheet.asp?id=391

RCW5's (rear, in wall)-- $600

http://www.klipsch.com/products/cutsheet.asp?id=68

RCR5's (rear, in ceiling) -- $700

http://www.klipsch.com/products/cutsheet.asp?id=70

RSW12 (subwoofer) -- $1500

http://www.klipsch.com/products/cutsheet.asp?id=397

Onkyo TS-DX898 7.1 Dolby Digital HT Receiver -- $1500

http://www.hifi.com/store/category.cgi?category=aud_receiver&item=o1txd898&type=store

Sony ES DVP-NS999ES DVD/CD/SACD player with progressive scan --$1200

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-r92pDORB1Ux/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=6&g=54400&I=158DVP999E&o=m&a=0

Sony KDP-57XBR2 57" Hi-Scan XBR® projection HDTV --- $5000

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-r92pDORB1Ux/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=6&g=11400&I=15857XBR2+

$12,800

Smart shopping might get this down to $12,000 even.

34" T.V. will bring it down to $10,000 -- but poo poo on that!

The Denon 5803 is a very nice reciever. I would also recomend Pioneer Elite recievers (very nice). As far as DVD players, you can't go too wrong, I would recomend the Pioneer DV-757A-Plays every disc imaginable. As far as speakers, If you have the room the reference 7 package is very nice. Using RF-7 mains, RC-7 center, RS-7 surrounds, and either another RC-7 or pair of RS-7s for 6.1 or 7.1. As far as a subwoofer, the RSW-15 is a buetiful, and wonderful sounding sub, and if you really love base you could always go for 2 :). As far as TVs, I'm not that experienced, all I know is that plasmas are overpriced and Mitsubishi makes some nice TVs. I know you will enjoy your system, have fun putting it together. Good Luck!

The Denon 5803 is a very nice reciever. I would also recomend Pioneer Elite recievers (very nice). As far as DVD players, you can't go too wrong, I would recomend the Pioneer DV-757A-Plays every disc imaginable. As far as speakers, If you have the room the reference 7 package is very nice. Using RF-7 mains, RC-7 center, RS-7 surrounds, and either another RC-7 or pair of RS-7s for 6.1 or 7.1. As far as a subwoofer, the RSW-15 is a buetiful, and wonderful sounding sub, and if you really love base you could always go for 2 :). As far as TVs, I'm not that experienced, all I know is that plasmas are overpriced and Mitsubishi makes some nice TVs. I know you will enjoy your system, have fun putting it together. Good Luck!

man, isint HT expensive if you want a decent system ... 10 g's almost doesnt cut it , wierd eh! , this is what i would do if i only had a budget of 10g's,

TV - SPEND AROUND $3000 BIG SCREEN I PREFER

RECIEVER - $2000

SUB - $1000

MAINS - $2000

CENTER - $600

REARS - $800

------------------------------

TOTAL - $9400

$600 FOR WIRES AND CABLES

or you can get a tv for cheaper and grab a dvd player...

well, I'm not big on TV, so I would spend the most on speakers. unlike most people, I am going to have to say get full range surrounds. heres what I'd do: RF-7 front, RF-7 rear, and RC-7 center. RSW-15 subwoofer. thats $4798 for the speakers. than, the danon 3802 receiver(769), the denon 3800 dvd player (969.99), and lastly for the tv, the Hitatchi 53SWX12B 53 ($2999). Total Cost: $9535. that cost excludes speaker cable. but you could spend the left over 500 on cables. I am confident this will crush any of the systems above, just because it has full range rears, lol. they sound just so much better. Plus, having the same speaker all the way around works much better for sources like SACD and DVD audio. all of the prices were taken from www.acousticsounddesign.com . Thats where I do all of my shopping, and they give you free shipping for posting there name in thigns like this! 9.gif

I wouldn't go as expensive as the Denon 5803, I would go down one more level or to the 3803. RF-7, RC-7, RS-7 (or RF-3II's as surrounds, but I haven't heard this yet). SUNFIRE SIGNATURE SUB!!! MUST HAVE!!! The rest spend on nice wires and a good TV. I mean you are mostly watching TV so make sure that is a good one. sorry no recomendation for that, cause I have no experience or money for one.

Thanks for all the good info.

I'm surprised that you guys mentioned a rear projection TV. I was afraid that a projection TV (front or rear) would wash out in the bright light.

The speaker advice was very helpfull. I think I'll tend towards the 15" sub...since, more is better. I am even considering a bass transducer for the floor if my budget will allow. As for using full size speakers all around, thats not going to happen. The wife really, really, really does not want to see speakers for the rear surrounds since that is the part of the room that opens up to the dinning and kitchen areas. In-wall speakers everywhere would make her happy, but I have not heard many good reports about in-walls.

since you are starting new do not go to a reciever, go seperates! go to a good audio store and make lots of comparisons, you will find that you can get alot better sound using seperates, plus your seperates are not constantly bombarded with excess heat caused by packing all of that equipment into 1 unit, i began with high end recievers (onkyo, denon, yamaha) and they do sound good, but i kept hearing better speakers, i thought that maybe klipsch was not really the best, so i knew i was going to upgrade, but this time i went the way of the electronics first, when i got home and hooked everything up, and i first began listening i thought my speakers had grown, it was not obvious, it was a massive difference my son now uses my onkyo 797 in his gaming area, so his gaming is pretty realistic, he backs his reciever with polk speakers, but it isnt dads system, no where close12.gif

Honestly a Sunfire Signature with its dual 12"s with embarrass any 15" subwoofer. Just ask The Ear. He is the Subwoofer professional. Write him a personal note or start a topic in Powered Subwoofers and he will give you all the sub advice you need along with how to spend the rest of your $10,000.

seperates? well? you buy a reciever, and you get packed in 1 package power transformers, sourround sound processor, tuner, as i said in an earlier post you also get alot of heat, alot of heat..... i am listening right now, and i just felt my devices and virtually no heat (heat also results in power loss). plus every time i turn on my system i hear music in a way i have never heard before, new notes, new tones, seperation, clarity, seperates are purchased just that seperatly, processor, tuner, power amp, any or all players, more expensive, but much more and better sound, but in the final outcome it depends on the individual ear. if i knew 6 months ago what i know today, i would have my current electronics, but i would have fewer, and larger speakers, rf 7's- rc 7, and i too like the full range speakers, maybee the rf 3's for satellites, and a good svs sub, all that i mentioned in total can be bought for under 10'000, as you buy your equipment be sure that you get your dealer to GIVE you your interconnects as a free service ( he will if he wants your continued business) but dont let him give you cheap stuff, the stuff i regularly get free ranges in the 50.00 a set range. good luck12.gif