Need advice for Klipsch speakers

TSWisla

Hello,

I am changing my entire setup.  I am stronly considering Klipsch speakers.  My room is 16x11 with 9' ceilings.  I have found some Cornwall 1s in like new condition.  Asking price is 1500, is this too high?  Are they too big for my room?  Which speakers would work best in my room?  Should I be looking for series III instead of I or II?  Thank you for your advice!

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, TSWisla said:

I have found some Cornwall 1s in like new condition.  Asking price is 1500, is this too high? 

Yes it's too high.

Klipsch tends to filter into price points:  (approximating here)

Heresy - $400

Chorus I - $600

Cornwall I - $833

Cornwall II - $935

Cornwall III - $2113

La Scala - $1200 (you can find pristine LS's for $1500)

Belle - $1900

Khorns w/Type AA crossovers - $2200

Here is the basis for those prices, the Heritage Prices spreadsheet.  You can do your own research in more depth.  Condition is the most important factor in vintage speakers and the selling price is whatever a willing Seller and a willing Buyer can agree to.

Klipsch Heritage used prices ver 2019-06.xlsx

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TSWisla said:

I am changing my entire setup.  I am strongly considering Klipsch speakers.

We have two Klipsch forum members who work together and are Klipsch dealers.  They have earned the trust and respect of the members here due to really great pricing and service.  I have bought from them. 

I suggest you send one or both a PM Message (click on the name for the PM addy) tell them what you have in mind and see what they might suggest.  You will get honest and knowledgeable advice.  Be sure to ask about B-stock.  The prices will surprise you.  I have bought Klipsch speakers from them.

@MetropolisLakeOutfitters - Cory

@Scrappydue - Steven

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Yes it's too high.

Klipsch tends to filter into price points:  (approximating here)

Heresy - $400

Chorus I - $600

Cornwall I - $833

Cornwall II - $935

Cornwall III - $2113

La Scala - $1200 (you can find pristine LS's for $1500)

Belle - $1900

Khorns w/Type AA crossovers - $2200

Here is the basis for those prices, the Heritage Prices spreadsheet.  You can do your own research in more depth.  Condition is the most important factor in vintage speakers and the selling price is whatever a willing Seller and a willing Buyer can agree to.

Klipsch Heritage used prices ver 2019-06.xlsx 325.09 kB · 72 downloads

nice informative spreadsheet Dave.  In collecting this data, do you have a good sense of price changes geographically?   I’m in the Pacific Northwest these days and I haven’t shopped for anything yet. Just curious how they compare to the rest of the country.  In Los Angeles, i never found the deals that many hear claim to have scored.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

do you have a good sense of price changes geographically?   I’m in the Pacific Northwest

Yes.  A lot of local guys give me feedback and I think there are a couple of areas where deals are far and few between.  Texas and California seem to be higher, Retail plus 20%, and your area near the state of Washington also has higher prices compared to the rest of the country.

Chicagoland has deals and central Florida has a good supply of Klipsch at  decent prices.

• Like 3

Welcome

Can I ask why your looking at Klipsch? Have you heard cornwalls? Most of the speakers I have ever bought I didn't listen to first (so no judgment). Rooms never sound the same from one to the other. Not to mention gear and other factors. I was just wondering what got you interested in cornwalls. 

If you look at my screen name you can see I'm a fan. And cornwalls are really great speakers to get your feet wet into klipsch/heritage. Wvu80 is right $1500 is to high. But its not robbery if they are really mint, close by (location) and what your looking for.  

Could you post a pic? Something close up if you can (more the better really). Look.... we cant say if they would be worth that much to you. But if we can see them, we definitely can tell you if they are mint or not. We know what to look for beyond a general glance. 

This is just my opinion but if you get serious about any that are higher than used retail (see wvu80 sheet). Ask for them to pop the back off. And get a pic. For high buck cornwalls imo beyond just mint outside. I want stock (updated caps on crossover is fine imo). You can always dive into upgrades on them down the road (or not). But I would want the pwk original deal.  Even more so if I'm new to these speakers. 

This forum is the greatest klipsch tool on the planet. Use it! Good luck..

• Like 1

@Heritage_Head Thank you for your reply.  I am looking at Klipsch because after owning some relatively inefficient speakers (86 dB) and taking it in the shorts on finding adequate amp(s) for them, I want some high efficiency speakers.  I am looking at Klipsch and Zu.  The Cornwalls came up locally which is why I am inquiring about them.  I am mostly concerned with which model would work best in my room.  I don't know if I can post a direct link, but here it is https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/ele/d/barrington-klipsch-cornwall-raw-birch/6921429089.html   Thank you for taking the time to have a look and comment.

Edited by TSWisla

55 minutes ago, TSWisla said:

@Heritage_Head Thank you for your reply.  I am looking at Klipsch because after owning some relatively inefficient speakers (86 dB) and taking it in the shorts on finding adequate amp(s) for them, I want some high efficiency speakers.  I am looking at Klipsch and Zu.  The Cornwalls came up locally which is why I am inquiring about them.  I don't know if I can post a direct link, but here it is https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/ele/d/barrington-klipsch-cornwall-raw-birch/6921429089.html   Thank you for taking the time to have a look and comment.

Those are 1980 (I think thats a U in the s#). In raw birch. I had a set in raw birch that were 1981. I thought I could see a few small chips but he's pretty strong on his "not a single chip" claim. The grill on the one looks replaced or fishy on this pic.  

00v0v_k6dGoDX6KPb_1200x900.jpg

Newer won't be better or it can be better. Depends on what newer your comparing to what older. I like Paul Klipsch's original stuff. But I don't have side by side comparisons with hours and hours to tell you its better. He built those speakers to last 2 life times (no sarcasm). 

Some like the chorus 2 better than cornwalls. They cost less too. They are the extended heritage line. Many smarter more experienced guys than me on here will tell you they curb stomp cornwalls pretty easily. 

4518581-6528-2__39345.1510761396.jpg?c=2

• Like 1

The speakers go on the 11' wall.  I will see what info I can gather from this guy.  If he is the original owner, he should know everything!  I like the raw wood, but I really love the dark walnut rub.  I have done many wood projects, so it would be NP.

Edited by TSWisla
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, TSWisla said:

The speakers go on the 11' wall.  I will see what info I can gather from this guy.  If he is the original owner, he should know everything!  I like the raw wood, but I really love the dark walnut rub.  I have done many wood projects, so it would be NP.

Yes 👍. So for you that is a big plus. 11' wall is fine. They want corners (i didn't but room didn't let me). The name corn-wall means against wall in corner. So if your stuffing them in those corners thats another big + for these.

Really most of what Paul built was corner with a small angle so the speaker is facing you in a direct line. Facing you is more important than the corner or walls. All 3 is pretty much the starting point on his speakers. Some rooms and seating can change the first two (wall and corner not best spots). But facing you will always be very important with horns.