using main floor speakers as surround speakers

swj2000

I am looking to add some surround speakers to my home stereo. I currently have a Yamaha 5460 tuner and a pair of Klipsch Synergy series KSF(single 8.5) woofer. While looking for Klipsch ss1 surounds to go with my system, I stumbled across a web site that had a good deal on Klipsch RF-3 speakers. I was told that you are supposed to stay within the same family when matching speakers. Would it sound bad If I bought the RF-3 speakers instead of the SS1 surrounds, and used the RF-3 as main speakers, and my KSF speakers as surround speakers?

RF's on the front and Ksf's on the rear would sound fine. I would get the RF's instead of anther set of KSF's especially if you can get a good price on them. Once you get into 5.1 with a center you will want to more closely match your center channel with a RF center to keep the front seamless. Go for it.

EJ

I used to have Synergy mains and Reference (RS3 and RC3) surrounds, they sounded fine together. I then had Heritage mains (LaScalas) and Reference surrounds, they were OK, but not as good a mix. Now I have Heritage all around (K-horn - mains, Heresy - center and LaScala - rears) and it sounds great.

Floor speakers as surrounds gives some LF boost to the rear sound. "Self proclaimed" Home Theater experts are recommending full range speakers for all channels since more and more recordings have LF content in other than the main channels. HornEd and others on the board have been ahead of the times.

With matching speakers all around, something like a music DVD recorded in DTS sounds fantastic.

Music and movies are totally different, as far as rear speakers go. That is why some receivers offer the option of two pair of surrounds. To use large full range speakers anywhere in a HT set up is a waste of lumber, if you run them 'small' and cut 'em high. Might as well use bookshelf speakers.

Check out the new Klipsch THX HT speaker system. See any large floor standers?

Check this site for matching speakers for your Synergy's. See any Reference recs?

Keith

HA I am using RF7's up front and another pair a s rear sourrounds!Yes you read right,RF7's as SOURROUNDS!And RF5's as side sourrounds! LOL

No jokes,all this in a 14*10 room(only a hair over 6' high,since the room is divided in two!).

In fact I prefer this to RS7's.I have a real impact when the soundtrack calls the rear channels more.Its quite impressive

I think good ole HornEd uses KLF30 mains,KLF30 center(home made) and KLF30 rears! HornEd likes his HT full scale,and so do I...no shortcuts.Just full bandwith,full effect.

I agree entirely with you EAR! Anybody who isn't using full range speakers for surrounds is missing out. I love to demo my set-up with subs off to start. Their mouths hit the floor when feeling all the bass! Then I say "Oh,by the way. The subs aren't on"!! Then I turn on the sub amp and let 'em rip!

I know most people don't have the room for full range surrounds. So I understand why some would not get them.

swj2000-I suggest getting the RFs and using them up front and moving the KSFs to surrounds. No they are not perfectly matched. But it is a good start. Down the road, look for a matching center since it is more important to have it match than the surrounds. then eventually get another pair of RFs to put in back.

yes large rears are choice when they get a full range signal of course. more 5.1 material these days are putting more full range/low bass in the surround channels. also, prologic II, dts:neo & logic 7 modes are driving the surrounds full range.

& of course the 5-7 speaker stereo modes are full range all around.

just don't compromise on that timbre match of the higher drivers to do it. 16.gif

when i bought my system i heard both side by side the reference seriese had much more of everything, so, well you take it from there, but as far as using full range speakers for surrounds, it works so much better than surround speakers, again you get full range sound, especially in music mode, and in ht, you get lower, and fuller, in yoiur effects12.gif