Scott 299 ( tweaked by Craig )..any takers??

DANOCASTER

At Craig's request, I'm posting this here first before the Ebay-ers get a go at it . I bought a very clean early Scott 299 that, according to Craig, had seen very little use and had NO changes. Craig took it home and did his "voodoo thang" on it and really gave it a thumbs up saying it was about as good as his favorite !! It sounds great w/ my REGA TT and actually really held its own when compared to my $3000 Musical Fidelity ( THAT made Craig happy !! )...Craig will surely do a response and let everyone know what EXACTLY he did.. I will say the tubes NOR caps are broken in..probably about 20 hrs on them. Who knows how good it will sound after that??!! But its great now.. I paid a little over $200 BEFORE craig did anything and with tubes and stuff I have about $275-$300..That's what I'd like to get back outta it.. It's very clean and sounds great..any interest???

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, perhaps that is true, but if you are running a cast of separates, I would not opt for the Scott 299 as my phono only preamp, for many reasons, not the least of which is size and the fact that you can find 12AX7 phono stages around. But as an integrated, it would kill quite a few birds with one stone and is HIGHLY recommended.

Indeed, I wish Danocaster would send it here for pics and a webpage add but mainly so I can compare one to others I have heard, especially an example that I know that is working well. IF he isnt hurting for the ducats right away, I would love to do this. Give it some thought before it's gone.

kh

I actually am gathering dough for an early 60's Vox AC-15 ( which is "alot of ducats" ) BUT if Kieth or whoever buys it..Maybe they will be patient enough for me to send it to YOU ,Kelly, for review,etc and then you send it on to them..Keith ?? Any takers ?? I'll do this thing shipped anywhere reasonably close for $300. It's great and the phono stage IS nice but if I'm off'ing the CWs- I dont need this anymore..(and it gets me $300 ducats closer to guitar amp "nirvana")

From Craig :

"All under chassis coupling caps replaced I think with Paper in Oil but might be Orange Drops pull the bottom cover and check if they are green and pink/red ones then they are paper in oils if they are all orange then Orange drops), replaced Selenium rectifier with new SS Full wave bridge rectifier and adjusted dropping resistors, I believe I rebuilt the phono section with 1% metal film resistors (2 of the 12AX7's should have blue small resistor all over the tube socket if I did if I didn;t it must of been quite with the factory Carbon comps) and also checked and replace all other out of spec resistors. Then of coarse all the new tubes you bought- Sovtek EL84M, EH12ax7s (Brimar/Telefuken copies), and NOS phillips something or others "

Okay took me a while to jog my memory but now I'm pretty clear. It has Russian Paper In Oils for coupling caps , 1% Metal film resistors thru out the Phono section. All other resistors matched and replaced as needed to spec, I replaced the selenium rectifier and adjusted the dropping resistors. Danocaster purchased new tubes thru out 12AX7's are Electro Harmonixs, 6U8A's are Jan Philips and the 7189s are Sovtek EL84M/7189's. I can't remember what the 5AR4 was but it tested like new !! This is a incredible deal for this amp that has to be worth $450 minimum !! I did this work for free because Danocaster was such a great guy to deal with when I purchased my Lascalas from him. The work I did to this amp would easily cost $300 with the tubes, parts and labor !!

Craig

This amp is one I have considered.

Low on cash right now...AND

Wife's Full size Ford Van developed a leak in the heater core for the rear heater today. Not good.

Must be an omen to definitely delay the purchase of my first tube amp until well after Christmas.

New tires were installed on the van in the past 6 weeks proactively getting ready for the coming snow and whammo a new breakdown.

Bummer

one question, is it a 299 a,b,c,d? and what is the difference? saw d's going for a lot more on ebay... thanks again guys. If the first two back out i'd love to get it!! Been looking for a good amp preamp combo! with a good phono to knock em out!

while were on the subject, where does the word ducats come from? is it a foreign term (read i'm from USA). I remember the first time i heard it you were refering to an amp as it had less ducats... for a couple of weeks there you guys had me thinking it was a part of an amp. less ducats (e.g. better sound quality?) lol...

Sorry about the slight delay in answering Danocaster but had to go to bed after being up since Tuesday morning. I appreciate your and Craig's rapid response to my mails. You guys mean business!

I thought about using your Scott and a pair of Heresy's along with my turntable for a dedicated 2-channel setup, but something else will come along.

Thanks again to you both.

Keith

Alan,

Congradutalions !!

powdermnky007

It was a 299A (second version) which in my Opinion a 299A/B are much better amps especially for LP's. The 299C/D use a different and hard to find Output tube that cost some major Ducats (As mobile would say). I also think the 7189/EL84 is a better sounding tube than the 7591 the C/D use.

Craig

The money order has been sent, I cant wait to see and hear this classic tweeked scott 299 on my k-horns. I just hope it has enough power for me, I think it is 17 watts a channel, am I right on that craig? Should be plenty on the the k-horns, doest take a lot of power to get them to a perty high volume.I have a bang and olufsen turntable to hook to it and a shure ultra d6000 cd player.Right now I have a 20 year old sansui g-7700 reciever powering my k-horns, 120 watts per channel.If for some reason it doesnt work out for me, I will put it up for sale on this forum, I would want someone on this board to give it a good home, so would Danocaster and Craig.Craig thanks for all the help latly on the e-mails trying to find and pick out a scott tube amp for my 2 channel system. I'll let you all now how it sounds.

arfz28,

This is the second version of the 299A and has similar specs to a 299B my 299A which is Identical to this one can reach the 22 watt range on peaks in music and yes this is very loud !!! Like 112 db in my room. This amp will have all the power your ears will be able to stand with your Khorns I garrantee that !! Well unless you have it in a high school gym LOL !!

Craig

Kelly,

I'll send you my 299A for review if you like. I don't know how Craig would rate mine compared to the others he has done so I don't know the efficacy of comparing it to an HF-81. I also haven't tried to clean it up at all...still looks the same cosmetically as the day I got it.