Opinions please, about value with damage

joessportster

If you bought a fairly rare piece that was described as being as new and you paid below going rate. Once you get the item you discover a dime size scuff that goes through the finish on the front. You contact the seller his response is I Forgot to mention it, as it was put away new and only taken out once sold.

Since it was bought as a rare item and it went for a bit below current prices, and even though it is damaged you still want to keep it. Is it worth it to alienate the seller and further to post feedback about the ordeal ?

Typically I would raise HELL immediately and tell everyone but in this instance it is from an individual (No one here on the forums) and i frankly have no recourse so I find myself asking why bother &  why stress over something I can not change or do anything about ?  I am sure the damage will affect value even though it is only cosmetic (can not be repaired, It is a scuff through cardboard that took away the finish)

In the business world when the buyer is upset about the quality of a product just received the seller offers him a good discount money deal to make the customer keep the product. Then everybody is happy money wise but not quite so happy quality wise.

JJK

this is what makes buying something new so worth it... even if it costs more.

un described damage or issues is a real problem and makes value buying so painful... unless you dont really care and just want the performance.

17 minutes ago, Schu said:

this is what makes buying something new so worth it... even if it costs more.

un described damage or issues is a real problem and makes value buying so painful... unless you dont really care and just want the performance.

Agreed except the item in ? was  / is no longer available NEW

2 minutes ago, joessportster said:

I might accept that argument if it were advertised so. But in this case the ad stated it was as new.  

Catch 22.  You want to believe the advertising, or what the price tells you?  As new, never been used, although with a bit of cosmetic damage, not advertised.

I talked it out with the seller, I did not ask for $$$ I just made it clear I was not happy and that I thought it was wrong to not disclose the damage. I am hedging my bets that I wont lose much on the item and I can enjoy it until I decide to sell if I ever do decide to sell

I used to get upset over things like that a lot more than I do now. As I get older I figure that my time is limited, and the more time I spend fussing over little things, it detracts from my ability to enjoy it. If you bought it to resell, that's one thing. If you bought it to enjoy, then enjoy it. 

Its funny... the older I get the less I am patient for nagging cosmetic and performance inadequacies... due to the same time issue.

I used to be much more tolerant when I was younger and expected issues from value purchases.