The Klipsch Audio Community
ILI

Heresy 1 crossover 0 (or O) (not E/1E1)

Hi ILI,

In my working life I was an Environmental Engineer and did a little PCB work.

Since yours are leaking, and are from 1972, they should be replaced.  Do not be alarmed. Caps that old MAY contain PCB oil.  LARGE exposure to PCB oil for a long time can be a health hazard.  PCBs were designed to be inert, non-reactive oils and they do just that, nothing, and will barely burn, good for electrical stuff.  Use good gloves to protect your skin.  They clean-up easily with Hexane, unleaded gasoline/petrol will do just fine, but do it outside.  Dab and wipe the spilled oil with a petrol saturated cloth and dispose of the waste and caps per your local disposal rules.  Where I live, household waste is exempt from special rules (quantities are small).  No finger licking!  😂

http://www.nepc.gov.au/system/files/resources/378b7018-8f2a-8174-3928-2056b44bf9b0/files/anzecc-gl-identification-pcb-containing-capacitors-information-booklet-electricians-and-electrical.pdf  See page 4.

10 hours ago, JohnA said:

Hi ILI,

In my working life I was an Environmental Engineer and did a little PCB work.

Since yours are leaking, and are from 1972, they should be replaced.  Do not be alarmed. Caps that old MAY contain PCB oil.  LARGE exposure to PCB oil for a long time can be a health hazard.  PCBs were designed to be inert, non-reactive oils and they do just that, nothing, and will barely burn, good for electrical stuff.  Use good gloves to protect your skin.  They clean-up easily with Hexane, unleaded gasoline/petrol will do just fine, but do it outside.  Dab and wipe the spilled oil with a petrol saturated cloth and dispose of the waste and caps per your local disposal rules.  Where I live, household waste is exempt from special rules (quantities are small).  No finger licking!  😂

http://www.nepc.gov.au/system/files/resources/378b7018-8f2a-8174-3928-2056b44bf9b0/files/anzecc-gl-identification-pcb-containing-capacitors-information-booklet-electricians-and-electrical.pdf  See page 4.

Thanks for the advice. I'll take the necessary precautions.