does the receiver matter that much with HT

ZDoug

OK I've narrowed by purchase of a receiver down to the Pioneer 47tx/Harmon Kardon 8000/Yamaha RX-Z1/or the Denon 4802.My question is once you get into this price range is there really much of a difference in sound quality for HT purposes ONLY?I'm leaning toward the Pioneer because it's thx ultra2 cert.But is there realy a difference in sound AND circitry quality in this price range.Most salespeople tell me all Japanese receivers are harsh sounding vs American. Sony by most accounts the harshest and most overpriced and pioneer the least harsh of the 4 I named. Denon being the next best in soound quality.What about H&K and is there really a difference the avg listener will hear? Thanks again for your help.I'm beginning to think I should just buy the Pioneer and stop worrying.

If you like the Pioneer, just buy it and stop worrying.LOL It's a great receiver. I have read nothing but good things about it. It has plenty of power, very clean, all the bells and whistles, etc.

I seriously looked at it before I bought the RX-V1. I like the Yamaha sound and the effects processor is the best around, very clean, plus the price was right for me. I like the Pioneer though, it would have been my second choice. I like the Dennon's but they are a little too pricey for me. The bottom line is Dennon is great, but you are paying a premium for the name and thats OK because it is a freat product. IMO the RX-Z1 is awesome but I'm not sure it's worth the price tag, which is why I went with the RX-V1 which was discounted since the release of the Z1.

My perception is that you probably will want seperates starting at around $2200 for 5-channel and $2700 for 7-channel rather than buy a receiver. If that's too expensive then maybe the $1k receiver is plenty (ie the Yamaha RX-V1 on close-out). I'm not as excited about the middle ground.

Adding a ~$1k sub will be much more impressive than the difference between a sub $1k receiver and a $2.5K receiver for HT. I've heard awesome HT's with sub $1k receivers, SVS ULtras and Klipsch Heritage speakers. I would assume the same for you Reference although I've only heard the RF7's with $2k+ receivers at the stores (specifically a Pioneer Elite).

I'm definitely with the separates crowd here, especially at this price point.

Separates will give much more flexibility and choice over the all in one receiver. If you are the type to want the latest and greatest formats, separates are definitely advised, as you can switch out the preamp processor as formats change - the amplification is much less likely to be obsolete in ten years. Also, separate amplifiers tend to be of better quality than their receiver counterparts - more robust build. I tend to buy amplifiers "by the pound". Pound per watt is often a good indicator of build quality (although auditioning the amplifier is certanly important too). There are exceptions (Bob Carver's Sunfire amps for example are high quality, yet relatively lightweight), but generally this holds true.

I took another approach: I felt that I could get a better class of pre-pro for my needs by looking into used, high end units. I settled on a 5.1 setup (no room for more speakers), and sought out a quality used unit (ended up with a Krell Home Theater Standard). I am thoroughly pleased with it - proof that one man gathers what another man spills. In the world of pre-pro's, it's a dinosaur (at 3 years old), but upon hearing it, you would never know that it's "over the hill". I liked it's overall performance better than similar priced new units. That purchase alone was a wholesale upgrade for my system in terms of sonic performance.

IOW, don't take the pre/pro segment of the purchase lightly - it is a major player in the sonic signature of your system. They do sound different from model to model - more than I ever expected.

While the all-in-one receiver may well suit your needs, there is more than one possible path to sonic bliss. Hope this helps some.

I have the Denon 4800 and love it. I had a Yamaha before this. I decided on power and features as I did not notice a significant sould difference between similarly priced components. I like the reciever approach for simplicity. I know this may sound like heresey to many on this site, no klipsch pun intended, but every time I audition equipment I need to get to the Krell, read unaffordable level, to notice any differences. At this point I cannot justify the cost. I tend to get the second from the top from "Good" companies so I can replace equipment with newer models without feeling guilty. My only exception has been my Klipsch horns which I like as much now as I did twenty years ago when I bought them.

IMO, there are large differences in receivers, if you look carefully. I have owned Onkyo THX, Integra and Pioneer receivers. The Pioneer 49TXi is outstanding due to its autosetup and room correction features as well as its processing, low noise and a wealth of other features. Room correction helps my RF-7s sound their best IMO. (The RF-7s don't need a lot of acoustic equalization, but the little bit that the 49TX does adjust helps.)

The weak point in any receiver is the amp. The B&K AVR 307 has the best amp of any receiver due to 3 pairs of MOSFETs to my 49TX's 1 pair. The b&k has an excellent power supply as well. The newer AVR 507 will be THX Ultra2 certified.

The Onkyo and Integra 7 series do not reproduce transients on Klipsch speakers as well as the Onkyo 9 series will; the difference in power supplies is noticeable in transient reponses. The older Onkyo's had dropout problems with DD EX flagged DVDs.

If anyone tells you that there are no differences, they do not know what to listen and look for IMO. Transient responses are subtle while Dolby droupouts would be noticed by anyone.

My opinion, go Pioneer for the MCACC room correction and very good power. Be advised that the 47TX does not have as good processing as the 49. The 49 has a third processor just for room correction.

Bill

Drop outs are unacceptable and frustrating. I read the DD EX flag issue can be solved by activating the rear center channel (even if you don't have a speaker).

I think I've gotten dropouts from a dog hair or other contaimination in the DVD in the tray...not sure.

Anyone having dropout issues?

Dolby droupouts can be from either the source, DVD Sat receiver etc., or from the receiver. I returned a JVC DVD-A player that had a problem with dropouts and lockups. (Did they buy their operating system from Microsoft?) Some DVDs are defective.

Many HT fans are frustrated by DD dropouts. My best advice is to identify and eliminate the weakest links in your system. (Easier said than done.) For example, a low quality toslink cable caused dropouts that were largely eliminated with a better toslink. I would have used a coax, but the sat receiver only offers an optical DD source.

Bill

the hk will blow the others away, and yes the electronics do matter in ht, audio is audio, once you set up with good electronics you will hear alot of things you did not hear in theatres. there will always be better, it depends on how much time and money you want to invest, but do invest some time, it will help you to not spend so much money and buy just exactly what you need, to your listening preference

Doug,

Definately don't get a sony. I would stick with either denon or HK. I have heard that the pioneer is great, as all those receivers you mentioned are, but for me I am partial to Denon. I have the 3802 model and am more than satisfied with its performace and quality. Choose wisely!