First Heresy Impressions

justin_tx_16

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am more into classical music, jazz music, and rock. i like some techno, but it is just behind my love for reggae (which i cannot spell hehe)

music preference is in that order BTW, well, one week i may be in love with one more than the other, but i always come back to that order.

ok, i will look around for those amps.

i wanted heritage. i have wanted heritage ever since i first heard a klipsch speaker.

my dad is still in the meeting, so i may still be without the marantz... grrr, but he is trying his hardest, i don't want him coming home at like 11:00 or later, that would suck (it happens too often as it is).

thanks for the info TPG, but I guess tubes willj ust suite me better. i just canNOT wait to hear some Alfred Reed and Mozart on these speakers with proper amplification! I will need a college ready (aka not expensive or too large) sub soon as well, the smallest SVS SHOULD do right? Or whatelse for ~ that price will perform similarly?

thanks for the help!

Hey Justin,

The SVS, will most likely be overkill, but it is phenomenal for the money - I would opt for something more musical however. On my Eico, I feed my Klipsch sub via the tape outputs. I have found I prefer the sub turned down real low otherwise it disrupts the sound from the Heresies; you almost think there are two different sources playing. Basically, I use it to fill in only the lowest frequencies. MH will tell you he prefers no sub due to the negative impact it can have on music in two channel. Hell, subs WERE created as a HT phenomenom now we consumers seem to think we can't live without them when listening to music.

Crash says "College isn't home theater - it is music. It is drugs, alcohol, and sex."

One can do all that very well without going to college. In fact if one took-up an apprenticeship in The Building Trades you'd have enough dough to also take-up gambling and hanging around at the track. And you could buy that hot car so many students dream about and hang posters of, pay cash for it too.

College is supposed to be about scholarship, about broadening one's view on life, reading Herodotus and Virgil and generally turning from an obnoxious idiot into an interesting adult. However given the White-Collar Vocational School mentality of most of the cow colleges and their poorly educated customers, where people major in "Business" (better they should open a hot-dog stand if they really want to learn business) so they can seamlessly blend into the Corporate World and a life of boredom and conformity I shouldn't be surprised at the attitude of college as a last chance to blow some steam.

Justin,

It's about the music, remember?

Heresy's will sound their best with a nice little tube amp. Go with the Scott or an Eico. It's the only way you are going to get the hash and grain out of those things. If your focusing on your education, you will want the quiet time and some nice tunes to alleviate the stress. You don't strike me as the type that's going to have your dorm room set up like "National Lampoon's Animal House".

Also, this will work just fine for DVD movies. I'm sure two Heresy's and a Scott hooked up through analog outputs of a DVD player will totally crush ALL low end receivers and the dinky HT speakers.

Sounds like a plan, tubes with my cd player and dvd, all i need really, maybe just tubes and a cd player. my computer can do dvd's and jukeboxing, when i listen to sit down music it is normally just a single Mozart disc or Telarc anyways. For everything else my ProMedia 5.1's and my GTXP should be more than enough for 5.1 music and movies. Win Media Player 9 has 5.1 music for the taking now!

Oh yes. I got the feeling that the Marantz amp would not be a good choice.... Any reason? Is it just because it may be a pricey one that I would not want to get messed up in college? Or are there other reasons? HOPEFULLY my dad will get it home tonight. He did not get home last night till like 12:00 AM, so I just told him to wait.

tbreenan opined "College is supposed to be about scholarship, about broadening one's view on life..."

I believe I stated that. :) If one were to attend college and do nothing but read and attend classes, one would miss out on much of the college experience and the subsquent development of their interpersonal skills. Some of what I wrote was meant as levity and I certainly don't advocate attending college as a means to become a sex-crazed, mosh-pitting, crack addict.

I do agree with your points about college becoming a vocational school and feel its value has been diminished substantially over the last dozen years. Students,by and large, do not attend to gain knowledge but merely acquire a degree to place on their resume. In a brazen display of our societies focus on political correctness and comformity, we make every possible effort to send people who have neither the mental capacity nor aptitude to 'higher' education. In our zeal to make everyone equal, we have ignored people have differing potentials and some reached their's prior to middle school and every dollar invested in them past this was as wise and rewarding as being the last Enron stockholder.