First Heresy Impressions

justin_tx_16

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Justin...

Just pick up an old H/K 430 stereo receiver for use in college...your Heresys will sound great with it...it will cost you next to nothing(around 30-50 bucks) and if it gets trashed at college it is no big deal...if it survives college, you can sell it for more than you paid for it!! Pretty simple solution to your problems!!

Good point, tubes and college dorms/military barracks might not be such a great mix.

The senior Marantz 22XX, 23XX receivers can generally be had for well under $400 and are SS. Check the pawn shops.

See if there's a way to "test drive" the prospective gear before you buy it. Also probably easier to pull off with SS....

Maybe ya gotta wait till you're out of the dorm for tubes. Give ya something to look forward to after graduation.....9.gif

Justin -

Another thought. If you listen to a lot of Techo or electronic/dance music you may want to stay with SS. I have my Cornwalls connected to tubes now and while the tubes offer an overall improvement I think that my HK SS amp was much better at driving them for dance/electronic music. Much faster response and more "slam" all away around. Also SS is great for movies.

Being in a college environment I would recommend a decent SS amp rather then tubes. SS will be a turn on and forget about piece where a vintage tube amp may require much more TLC not only to get up and running but to keep in working order. Also as mentioned the number of inputs are going to be very restricted on a tube amp vs SS. You will likely get only one or two usable AUX inputs plus a turntable input. So that could be a hassle if you want to hook up TV, game console, CD, DVD etc.. to it.

In the long run it is your choice but I would hate for you to spend big bucks on tubes only to have it knocked off a shelf or something spilled into it during a party. On the other hand you can show all your peers how cool tubes and Klipsch are and start an audio revolution at your college 9.gif

Laters,

Justin,

The one you have listed there is a 299C and if I was you I would steer clear the Output tubes for that one are expensive and hard to find. No current production tube will fit with the case on and also will rub the transformers. So you would be stuck with NOS and they cost 2 arms and one leg. If you want a Scott stay with 222C , 299A or 299B's that use the 7189/6BQ5 output tubes . I think I would just Opt for a SS amp for college myself. I've heard some 70s Marantz with Heresy's and they mate real well. Get one of the 22XX series lots available on Ebay just make sure it has light wear on the face plate. Don't buy one with all the number wore off the volume Knob Area !!

Craig

Thanks for the advice. calling my dad.. seeing if he can remember the marantz tube in the studio... i am on hold...

well, while i wait. SS sounds like the way for me to go then... secretary says he is in a board meeting, grrr...

so what can I get SS wise that will allow for these inputs.

Computer (digitally preferred, optical OR coaxial... wow, dad got out of the meeting to call me, what a dad!, he will try to bring it home he said, hopes he has keys to the studio on him...

yes, coaxial OR optical since I have a wonderful sound card. optical is the second choice cause the distance would be expensive. then i need one for DVD, optical or coaxial once again, then one for a cd player, probably just stereo out unless I can find a third digital input on the receiver, and then stereo TV.

so 3 digital's plus or minus 1

2 analogs's plus or minus 1

under $400, also needs a good headphone output, which may save me from having to get a headphone amp for some time.

calling tweeter... brb... (gonna see if i can trade in my promedia 5.1's for an amp, that gives me $415 for an amp and i still have $400 for a cd player and dvd player... yummy

darn, only can be spent on new speakers.. GAH! oh well, so back to just $400 for an amp, max.

what SS amp will give me those inputs (with PLII, DTS, DD please) for <$400? I will go ahead and get a surround sound receiver so I can add speakers if i want to, only thing is, stuck with adding heritage (oh darn hehe) so room would be a problem, even still...

THANKS!

(i have been looking for the old HK's guys, but i just can not find one!)

(would i just be better off with a good stereo amp for now? i really need digital inputs though..., not many have that)

I disagree. I think you would BE KING in college with a tube amp! You would have people wanting to see...touch the monkey...all of it!!!

I had three tube amps at Mercersburg Academy Boarding School. I was living in the ALL GIRLS dorm which was a 150yr old house with my girlfriend (now my wife) who taught English while I did their web design (and tutored Writing when in right frame of mind).

Let me tell you, my little friend, the girls came a running to those tube amps! I cant count how many times student knocked on the door and wanted to hear their CDs on my tube system. They thought it was BEYOND COOL.... And amazingly enough, they actually could tell the difference from their stereos in their own room. A couple were really interested and wanted me to explain how they worked. NONE OF THEM had ever even seen tubes before, of any sort.

Besides, you can tell the kooks to "touch the glowing light bulbs" for late night fun.

Perhaps I'll shoot you some hybrid tube/solid state sealed designs along with some other more reliable options. I say GO FOR IT... LIVE ON THE EDGE! You'll be a HERO!

kh

The best choice I have seen for a stereo receiver at $299 is the Harman Kardon HK 3370

The best choice I have seen for a surround receiver at $299 is the Onkyo TX-SR500 which has everything i asked for and then some.

What should I do? Why is the stereo on the same cost with 1/8 the features? Is it really that much better sound quality wise?

in responce to you kelly, make my own tube amp?... that is kinda scary just because i don't have the time for it, believe it or not. and gosh darn! (3.gif) I need those inputs!

I WILL get a tube amp some day, perhaps once i have settled into college life?

Justin, I can say for a fact that the Onkyo won't let you down... it sounds great to my ears through KG-2.5's. With heresy's in Direct stereo mode, it should sound amazing. Of course... HK sounds nice too, probably... I didn't have enough guts to listen to one in case i fell in love with it and could leave the store with no less. 1.gif1.gif

so you have that ONKYO then? what are your detailed thoughts on it? i want a 2000 word essay, no passive voice and double spaced.

joking of course. seriously though, any thoughts you would like to share in expansion? how much did you pay if I may be so _______ to ask.

Justin,

LOL the more I read your posts the more hilarious it gets.Your description is an image(blown out of propotion)of the crude amp you used to drive these poor speakers.And I say poor because I would not tolerate quality speakers to be tortured using a LoudMedia BASH amp.

The BASH amp driving loudmedias is as refined as a Mustang Cobra,as grainless as sandpaper.ITS CRUDE DAMMIT

Like a few old timers here posted get a tube amp(integrated)and listen again.

Jolida makes good inexpensive units.Since you are the rich kid get a Cary or CJ and you will have drastic changes.Whole new speakers you will hear

At least get a quality solid sate,like a Celeste MOON or Creek SE.

more latter

Justin,

LOL the more I read your posts the more hilarious it gets.Your description is an image(blown out of propotion)of the crude amp you used to drive these poor speakers.And I say poor because I would not tolerate quality speakers to be tortured using a LoudMedia BASH amp.

The BASH amp driving loudmedias is as refined as a Mustang Cobra,as grainless as sandpaper.ITS CRUDE DAMMIT

Like a few old timers here posted get a tube amp(integrated)and listen again.

Jolida makes good inexpensive units.Since you are the rich kid get a Cary or CJ and you will have drastic changes.Whole new speakers you will hear

At least get a quality solid sate,like a Celeste MOON or Creek SE.

more latter

It is almost annoying to read these posts. You are going to college. The best setup for this situation you could have gotten was KG4's and a SS Surround Sound receiver. You opted to get Heresies. They are phenomenal speakers for listening to music. You then ask about amplification. Without a doubt, tubes are the best you can do - and within your budget. Grab an Eico, a Scott, a Jolida - be "the King" as MH suggests. But no, it then becomes I need digital imputs, blah, blah, blah.

Dude. Seriously. You need to decide what your goal is and then march to it. You have a serious Sybil issue - she didn't flip-flop as frequently as you do.

College isn't home theater - it is music. It is drugs, alcohol, and sex. Get with the program. All you need is Heresies, Tubes, a CD-player, and Pink Floyd. Some chick is not gonna be thrilled when you start whining on about your sound card with digital outputs. She is going to see stars when your output tubes start glowing brightly and Comfortably Numb penetrates her being.

i just keep getting mixed signals. some say solid state for college and price, some say tubes for looks and sound.

i can get away with just a tuner and cd player input on the amp.

so now i ask you, or tell you. i WILL get a tube amp now. i WILL need help choosing one. i WILL need to keep it under $400, preferrable around $200. i WILL be getting a Marantz tube amp tonight in the house from our studio, though it has not been used since the day it was bought I am sure...

Get an Eico HF-81 or one of the Scott's NOS suggested. Neither should be more than $200. Then send the amp to NOS and have him perform a system checkup and bring them to spec. Then go to college, listen to 'The Wall', and enjoy 4 years of music and mystique without worry.

IF you had gotten KG4's, I would have said grab a SS receiver and go to town. If you listen to that techno/dance crap, those Heresies will make you hate the day you bought them particularly if mated with a SS receiver.

Well, ok then. I do have that one. 1.gif In the store, I auditoned several- the one that was in the saem range was a Sony, it did not offer NEAR the sound or performance, though, in 100 WPC, whereas this one is 65. The sound is much smoother and more connected. The highs are present, but not overbearing, the lows are strong, but blend very well. The Sony lacked lows and had to be adjusted and the highs were shrill and stuck out.

2-channel experience-- Sounds very good in stereo. I don't spend a great deal of time in just stereo, but I did test it. It sounds very good. Like I said above, lows that are present and full, highs and mids are there and not shrill, very connected. In direct mode, the KG's really put out some bass, for there being just two of them. And if you wanna have two pairs going, it does have A+B switching. You can do the direct stereo using no sub, or use a sub with the other stereo mode, which does add a great punch.

Surround/5-channel music-- DTS decoding sounds great... so does DD. I enjoy playing The Rock car chase really loud to annoy everyone in the household. 1.gif No noise in the background from speakers. Only problem I have faced was with the subwoofer assignment. Mode3 was supposed to be sending the sub the .1 frequencies... but it didn't sound good. Very weak bass, so I use subwoofer mode 1, which sends out all bass frequencies from all channels. HAs three speaker crossover levels- 80, 100, 120 Hz. In Direct stereo, this goes away, providing the great bass our speakers could do if allowed to. Has two optical ins, and one coax in; 5.1 channel analog in, S-video/composite ins and outs, connections for tv, cd-player, tape, etc. The surround modes are good as well. I haven't spent a great deal of time in them, use PLII very little, but it did sound decent when I did use it. I usually do 5-channel stereo, which gives me my loudness I am looking for on occasions. Also has DSp effects for types of music, and a TV-mode which creates a surround for your TV based upon how its signals are sent. I have my N64 hooked up and use this option when playing games. Can set delay times... pretty standard there. Built in speaker test, Cinema EQ removes harshness experienced in some DVD's due to being mixed for cinema use), night mode (DD only- emphasizes quiet sounds so you can listen at low levels... actually tried this one- it works), low THD, etc etc. 9.gif Sounds really pleasing to my ears. Movies are detailed. I haven't tested the headphones, though... I just built a new amp, so I am using that. No need for anything else. hehehehe No hint of hiss or static in the ound either... using Monster cable through the system, works well. With a good source, it sounds great. Should be enjoyable. BTW, I paid $284 for it, and I find it to be worth it. Only complaint, well two, I have is that the binding posts are a little difficult to use, well, the bottom ones anyway, but other than that, it needs a little time to break in. Keep this in mind. When I first got it, I could hear no sound at lower voluems like 5-20. After playing it for an extended time one day, I now have a much fuller, louder sound at higher levels and the lower ones have more sound as well- I can hear all the way down to 1. Volume goes to 100, I usually listen at 50. 50 is planty, I have only gotten to 70- very loud, bass shakes the house and sound can be heard outside to the point where the tune is recognizeable.

I think that will do for my introduction, now onto the real review... just kidding. ny other questions, I am here.