2nd try, rf7 + Forte experience

RobBeamer

Oh yes, I think about that often. I thought about it yesterday when I read Colin's post about being embarrassed to hear his K-horns in the store when he bought them, and then getting home and hooking them up to his Bottleheads -- and being very pleased.

Now, this certain thing that I hear -- this "rightness" in my brain -- I heard with RB5's and the RF7's with solid state gear. I can't help it the RF7's sound great with just about anything you shove at them, and Heritage only sounds great with 3 watts:)

----------------

Now, this certain thing that I hear -- this "rightness" in my brain -- I heard with RB5's and the RF7's with solid state gear. I can't help it the RF7's sound great with just about anything you shove at them, and Heritage only sounds great with 3 watts:)

----------------

Dean,

Not all here listen to their Heritage with low wattage amps-Judging from your musical tastes (Pantera-I like "Vulgar display of Power" myself

9.gif )I'm surprised you went the SET route at all.Although I'm sure it does sound fantastic I can't imagine using it for speed Metal.

Kinda akin to asking for a group hug in the mosh pit don't you think?

Jeff

I'm now with the Ian MacKaye view on the ole Mosh pit... It was getting old in '85...it seems positively idiotic now, almost embarrassing. One of the last times I had the urge to see Fugazi in around 90, a particularly bombastic Mosh pit broke out and Ian (of Minor Threat etc) stopped in the middle of the song and said, "F***, you are some stupid a******s. If you only knew how tired I am of seeing this s***! How about actually listening to the music? It's now an imitation of an imitation! I'm not playing another note until this s*** stops." Needless to say, the show went on, and a good one at that.

ps- No one really wants to see a bunch of Neanderthals high stepping around like Hitler Youth with a semi-notion for rhythm and male hormones run amuck...

kh

I remember listening to Anthrax "Caught in a Mosh" and wondering what the heck a mosh was. LOL

....as I was banging my head. 9.gif

Without a doubt, headbanging is one thing, but moshing is something completely different.

IMHO. Todays youths don't have the same resources available to vent their frustrations as many of us did.

'Bout the only place left they have are their concerts and mosh pits.

That's fine and all, but it makes going to see one of those show a pain (literally)

Nothing worse than fighting off youngster while trying to relax at a show.10.gif

I just try to stay out of the pit.

Although that doesn't always help.4.gif

Holy Saint Nick! How about the millions of clappers banging their video games? What happened to the good ole days of going outside? You know, breaking some street lamps, lighting small forest fires, throwing acorns at cars, driving the construction machinery at 2am...hell, all that wholesome entertainment we all enjoyed! C'mon! There are STILL avenues! I saw some street lights with no bottoms just last week!

kh

Moshing goes like this:

You are at a rock concert in a large, fairly packed in group of people - usually close to the stage. As the band plays, you slam your body into whoever is around you, and everyone else does the same. It's like human pinball, where everyone plays at the same time and place.

Sound fun??

Good. Then you may advance to the next level - bodysurfing. This is where the bodysurfer submits him/herself to the crowd by "surfing" on the crowd's raised hands. This works because the people are so tightly packed together - they raise hands above their heads to support the bodysurfer, who bounces and rolls him/herself as if the sea of hands is the water or floor. If the surfer ends up close to the stage, security in the front just pushes the surfer back over the front rail into the crowd, keeping the action alive.

All of this happens with no body armor 11.gif

It has been a source of difficulty in the concert industry here - many have been injured, and is a source of lawsuits. Often tickets are printed stating "no moshing, no bodysurfing", then cameras are mounted to record the action in mosh heavy areas. If the crowd engages in such behavior, they have proof of wrongdoing by attendees - helps remove the liability of promoters and venues if an injury lawsuit occurs.

I saw someone "crack thier head open" doing this at a Metallica concert in Iowa City's Carver Hawkeye arena in 1992. As the bodysurfer approached the front, security missed him. He fell over the rail into a 3 feet wide area in front of the stage (head first). The next thing I see is a pool of blood forming on the concrete below his head.

So sickening, in fact, that I left the area, going to the top of the arena. I made a decision to avoid such situations in the future. I had never been in a crowd like that before (especially that close to the stage). My friend's stomach was literally black and blue afterwards from being crushed against the front rail (which didn't give one bit). All of this occurred during the first 30 minutes of the show.

It was stated in court several years later that he was "an unwilling participant". He was just grabbed from the crowd and tossed atop the sea of hands. It is amazing that he lived, but does have permanent brain damage. He won the lawsuit (don't know if he actually collected the money).

It's very rare that I see shows whose fans engage in such behavior. It is not the norm to do this at all concerts, but many of the harder rocking bands fans do. More prevalent since 1990.

Thanks DND. We used to do something similar to moshing in punk rock concerts in the UK in the late 70's (showing my age a bit) but I dont think it had a name back then.

I had certainly never heard of moshing till today (you learn something new...)

I have also seen the body surfing thing - but only on TV. I think it takes a greater amount of trust in your fellow man than I have.

Kelly,

Regarding your comments on the 2-way speakers, I had this thought...

Both the Klipsch Kg4 and Klipsch RB-5s are a two-way speaker design. The kg4 being a floor speaker with removable risers and the RB-5 being a studio monitor. I would think either of these would be great for you to enjoy when you need to keep the music to a more modest listening level. Once before you were considering headphones so you could enjoy music without bothering the local folks. I don't recall you being very impressed with headphones and I don't believe you ever will be. I think a smaller 2-way speaker would be perfect for those times when the volume level needs to be kept moderate.

Perhaps a 2-way Klipsch monitor might be just the ticket for you?

What say ye?

- tb

I actually have TOO MANY speakers in my home as I type this. But yes, I have been partial to monitors in my second system for a long time. I alternate these with my ProAc Mini Towers which sound VERY nice with tubes.

Tim, you are right... The headphone test was enlightening since I use to listen to headphones ALL THE TIME recording and in the studio (not to mention as a DJ for eight years athough I always used the monitors for night shows). I hadnt heard quality headphones in a while and while I was impressed with the Sennheiser HD-600 via the ASL tube headphone amp, I was ultimately very disappointed compared to SET and the Cornwalls. IT was no contest and a letdown for late night. I would rather listen at low volume.

kh

deang,

I've got my setup so I can quickly switch between the Cornwalls and the RB-5 IIs. Both Driven from the Wright 2A3s.

I've got my computer setup in my listening room, and when I'm at the computer, I switch to using the RB 5s so I can have the soundfield in front of me. When I'm not at the computer, I switch over to the Cornwalls. Either way, I'm uisng the Wrights.

The RBs are IMHO very tight and accurate. The soudfield is very defined and clear, although I don't have them setup in an optimal placement for the largest or deep soundstage, they still show what excellent speakers they are. Low volume or high, they are so detailed and accurate I am just amazed.

Switching over to the Cornwalls is yet another level of listening. Much bigger, and different.

I've moved the Eico to the living room where it drives my kg4s. That room is much bigger and seems to work well with the Eico I actually have kg4s ontop of a second pair of kg4s, the bottom pair are for the home theater, the top pair for listening to music with the Eico. Kind of a strange arrangement and I'll have to take some pictures so it makes some sense.

Kelly, the headphones are great for certain types of music. What I feel is missing is the soundstage and presence. It's hard to listen and sence the instruments and vocals in front of you. It's just different. I'll have to try to listen to mono with them and see how I like it. Your right about one thing, a proper SET setup can be every bit detailed and revialing as headphones, if not more so. I doubt however at the same price point, as it's taken me about 5x the price of the headphone/headphone amp to discover this.

The headphone are great for very late night listening when trying to fall asleep. Just pop in a vocalist like Sarah Vaughn, lay down in bed, close the eyes, and I'm out within 5 minutes.

-tb

I must say I too find that Headphones do not do it for me. This is a real disappointment as with the baby I am very limited on volume most of the time on the main system.

Some time ago Tony got my a pair of Stax headphones which are supposed to be amongst the best there are. I played with them for sometime and just couldnt get used to them.

In the end I semi-premanently lent them to another friend who loves them and uses them constantly.

Ah well - at least they aren't lying in a cupboard forgotten.

I have to say that I find the HD-600s to be highly overrated. Sure, they have very good points, but like a lot setups I have heard lately, they just dont sound like real music to me, in fact, I find cheaper alternatives to offer a more natural presentation. There is just this certain "presence" that comes also as a feeling of pressure with the HD-600 that I find almost disturbing to the point that I didnt like listening to them for longer that a few minutes. I found my mind drifting away from the music almost EVERY time, usually within five minutes or less. And this was with a tube headphone amp. There was just something wholely unnatural about the reprodution, even if detailed. The music just seemed forced but still VERY smooth...but something was just amuck, and no matter what I did, whether it be changing tubes, amps, moods, etc, I couldnt get away from it.

I realize this goes against 98% of the glowing comments concerning the HD-600, one of the most highly rated headphones lately. So perhaps you can take my comments as a fluke or some personal problem. Ultimately, I would rather listen to low volume speakers... The music did not breathe with the HD-600 nore expand and contract with life. It sounded excellent but the sound was driving me to removw them.

I have Tim to thank because I was close to buying a pair a modifying my second EICO as a headphone amp. After having his phones and amp for a month, I abandoned the whole idea and have not turned back. He saved me a good $400 or so.

kh

I think the Senn HD-600s are great... the problem Kelly refers to is what I believe to be related to the ASL headphone amp and not the Senns themselves.

I meant to visit the Headphone tour put on by HeadRoom Corporation last year, but didn't make it. I wanted to try out some different headphone amps to see if that weird feeling Kelly mentioned was present or not.

I have managed to listen to the 600s with the following sources: ASL Tube AMP, Yamaha 5191, Panasonic RP-91 DVD, Sony Portable CD, and Sennheisers own Surround Sound Amp. I don't believe that same weirdness exists in all cases.

I agree with deang on the late night movie watching comment. That's the primary reason I keep the phone. Something else I've discovered, which my wife has mentioned just the other day. In certain movies, with complex fast paced dialog, it's much easier to make out what everyone is saying using the headphones. Without the phones, I have to stop the movie 20 times to translate what the actors said to my wife, however with the headphones, I can watch the movie start to finish.

Heh, perhaps I need to upgrade to better speaker wire on my center channel...

- tb