Uh, Speaking of Jubilee !?

pgh

4.gif

Haven't seen any posts concerning the Jubilee Project.

This still in skunkworks?

Any possibility this speaker will ever make it to production?

http://www.pghcs.com/klipsch/paul_w_klipsch.jpg'>PWK With Jubilee

Just Curious.

(maybe I'll just buy the commercial jubilee...nah!)2.gif

12.gif Is this a "no,no" subject?

I would just like to know if the project continues? 4.gif

As a side, does anyone use the "rich text" format on this BB. Boy, is it slow.14.gif

----------------

On 11/9/2002 12:07:38 AM m00n wrote:

What is the Jubilee line?----------------

I'm not sure of the Jubilee's place in the Klipsch line, but there is (or possibly will be) a home version of the commercial Jubilee (see commercial lineup on the Klipsch website).

Also, there was a photo of PWK with a Jubilee (I think it was a Jubilee) in the news release pertaining to his death, but it has been removed from the website, or I just can't find it.

Commercial Jublilee

The Jubilee is a 2 way featuring dual 12" woofers and a horn loaded midrange/tweeter. It looks very interesting but my guess is that if and when it ships it will be out of range for most of us. From the bits and pieces I have gathered it will be a dandy!

HBDRbuilder has heard a single Jubilee at Hope and could likely provide deeper insight about this speaker.

My understanding is that PWK was a major force in the design of this speaker and worked hands on in its development .

Hopefully it will be made available to we peons to lust for at some point.

----------------

On 11/9/2002 12:32:19 AM pgh wrote:

----------------

On 11/9/2002 12:07:38 AM m00n wrote:

What is the Jubilee line?----------------

I'm not sure of the Jubilee's place in the Klipsch line, but there is (or possibly will be) a home version of the commercial Jubilee (see commercial lineup on the Klipsch website).

Also, there was a photo of PWK with a Jubilee (I think it was a Jubilee) in the news release pertaining to his death, but it has been removed from the website, or I just can't find it.

"Commercial
http://www.pghcs.com/klipsch/187_medium.jpg" border=0>

----------------

it is still on the site

http://www.klipsch.com/photo_gal/paul_w_klipsch.jpg

Hi Guys,

All the folks on the "Tour of Hope" a while ago heard the Jubilee in full stereo form at the Klipsch plant. They are the first speaker system that actually fooled me for an instant. During a Roy Orbison DVD showing, after the performance, a live audience in the recording started aplauding. I was astonished for an instant and started looking for the audience!

Al K.

LYNNM: From what i've read the ktp-jubilee is a three way system not two way, but i've been wrong in the past. I do agree that the price may be a little rich for some of us, I read a article in some mag about them, i'll see if i can still find it. I do remember the price was quite rude !!! But the review was good.

----------------

On 11/12/2002 1:14:05 PM DALE WALKER wrote:

LYNNM: From what i've read the ktp-jubilee is a three way system not two way, but i've been wrong in the past. I do agree that the price may be a little rich for some of us, I read a article in some mag about them, i'll see if i can still find it. I do remember the price was quite rude !!! But the review was good.
----------------

Looks like a 2-Way to me (?).

PWK With Jubilee

Perhaps some of the confusion stems from the Jubilee prototype in the PWK photo and the commercial version (labled a stage and screen speaker) that is described as follows:

This three-way system allows the use of a fully horn-loaded, high output stage system in even the tightest of spaces. Many fully horn-loaded devices have been utilized as stage systems, however, they traditionally require up to five feet of space behind the screen. With auditorium space at a premium, the KPT-KHJ-LF, with its 24-inch depth, is the ultimate space-saving solution. Newly developed by audio pioneer Paul W. Klipsch, this dual 12-inch loudspeaker system couples the horn-loaded woofers with the KPT-XII 12-inch, horn-loaded, mid-bass device and the KPT-904-HF Tractrix® Horn to deliver extraordinary performance. The KPT-Jubilee Stage System is available with or without a mid/high passive crossover

The commercial version is designed to be behind a commercial movie screen and adds a horn tweeter on a stilt above the mid-range horn which is not included in the prototype photo. Also the midrange horn is as wide as the entire cabinet... clearly it has evolved beyond the beautiful piece in the photo with Mr. Paul.

Keep it up guys... I'm looking for yet another Klipsch drool point. -HornED

Yes that model pictured is two way . The kpt-jubilee i read about was on the commercial side,as pictured above and on klipschs web page under commercial theater and stage.Both seem very intresting and i'd love to run some high current threw a pair and see if they rock as well as the old k-horns.

PWK's idea behind the Jubilee was to extend and smooth the range of the basshorn so he could go with a 2-way system. The poor upper range response of the Klipsch folded corner basshorn forced the use of a 3-way and PWK spent much time trying to get better upper range response from it.

With the basshorn in the Jubilee PWK and Delgado managed to extend the upper response into the 800hz range thus allowing the use of high-performence metal diaphragm compression driver with the capability of extended highs, thus the speaker can be a 2-way.

The pro stuff at Klipsch is different guys, evidently they took the Jubilee basshorn and designed a 3-way around it, for whatever reason; perhaps for better directivity control in theaters or better power handling. There has been a rash of 3-ways for theaters from JBL and EV, maybe Klipsch Pro is simply trying to offer what the competition does.

The Jubilee for the home as designed by Klipsch and Delgado is the 2-way.

My source for this information is reliable.

www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org

Some of the discussion of known facts, and rumor, suffers from imprecise nomenclature. At least that my thought.

The "Jubilee" as presently in production is just the commercal bass unit. It uses two 12 inch drivers. We heard that at Hope. There were a pair in the front corners. It is described in an AES article. Let me call it the Theater Jubilee.

I think it is important to limit the term "Jubilee" to the bass unit, only, in all cases, for purposes of discussion.

During the visit to Hope, mated with each was a fiberglass treble horn and a B&C driver. The fiberglass horns were a far cry from the wooden horn we see with PWK. I suspect they were just stand ins while the treble horn for home use was under development.

What we see in the commercial section is the theater Jubilee bass with a very large mid and very large tweeter. It is probably fair to say that these are necessary to deliver wide, controlled coverage over the entire audience at very high power. Note that this is not corner placement as we would have in a home setting. Rather, the off axis coverage has to be wider.

Rumor is that the Home Jubilee bass unit will use two 12 inch drivers and a 12 inch passive radiator at the throat. So that will be a different bass unit.

The photo with PWK certainly hints that the home unit will have a single treble horn. The home setting is less demanding in some ways than the theater setting. It should be possible to cover the entire range from about 600 Hz up to 15000 Hz with a single treble unit.

Maybe the home unit, as a whole, will be called a Jubilee. But for the time being, I think we should use the term Jubilee to refer only to the bass unit.

Gil

William-- I'll refer to the 2-way designed by PWK and Roy Delgado as the Jubilee, for now anyway. Not that we'll ever see it. The Hoosiers have been putzing around with the damned thing longer than it took to develop and build the first Iowa Class battleship. I dunno.

A while ago I heard some guys were gonna try and build Jubilee basshorns from the info in the patent but Tom Danley's LabHorn is all the rage with DIY basshorn builders now.

Back in May, I went to Hope and saw the prototypes of the Jubilee, and heard one of the proposed home versions, but with the fibrglass tweeter/midrange horn atop it. The bass bin for the home version has two 12" active radiators, and one 12" passive radiator(drone) firing it. It has a bifurcated pathway that fires to the left and right, instead of up and down as on the k-horn. It appears that it will be a simpler build than the k-horn, and it also goes around 5 dB lower than the k-horn bass bin and quite a bit higher than the k-horn bass bin, thus allowing for a higher crossover and a two-way system.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I ran into this discussion! I was wondering about all this stuff too. Back in May or June I finally got someone in engineering to talk with me on the phone about the pic with PWK. I was wondering if this was new version of the Klipschorn. This is what I was told:

It is called the Jubilee. It was PWK's last pet project. It was scheduled for release late this year. The wood is African Mahogany. Its a 2-way system. They were having some problems finding a suitable OEM source to build the upper frequency horn to their specifications, cost and production requirements. They were still considering alternative construction methods/materials such as a carbon fiber composite or carbon fiber composite with a Mahogany laminate, etc. The upper frequency horn utilized a 3" titanium diaphragm compression driver. The speaker was designed to not be as sensitive to room acoustics & did not require stringent corner placement like K-horns. The estimated retail price......hold on to your seats folks.............

$17,000

I don't remember if that was a pair, or each.

BTW, I remember some of the earliest K-horns were 2-way. I even have pictures of them with the tweeters mounted vertically & to the side of the midrange horn. I also seem to recall seeing some pics where they tried co-axially mounting the tweeter inside of the midrange horn at one time.

That is in accord with rumor control.

It looks to me that the Jubilee bass unit is what is making the single treble unit possible.

The classic K-Horn is running out of steam at 300 Hz and is used up to about 400 Hz. On the other hand, it looks like the Jubilee bass will go up to 600 Hz without problem. Going from 300 to 600 is a whole octave.

On the other hand, this means the treble unit doesn't have to cover that lower octave and the bandwidth of the treble/mid can be move up to where a tweeter would otherwise be needed. Very roughly, the K-5 and K-400 with their drivers got up to 6000 Hz. Now if you can trade off the not having to go down to the lower octave and move the high end up to 12000 Hz, you're in the ballpark for covering the entire treble with a single horn and driver.

It looks to me that the real issue in going up to the 12000 or 15000 Hz is the driver. Evidently the newer ones with titanium diaphragms will do it.

On the other hand, making a furniture grade treble horn is a tall order. It is little wonder that they are fishing around for suppliers, and that the public has never seen a prototype outside the picture.

Gil

William---Actually the older aluminum diaphragms were lighter than titianium and had superior high frequency response. The move to titianium was for better power handling. It was pioneered by JBL and then everyone else but Altec followed suit, follow the leader. Aluminum diaphragms are prone to cracking under high, prolonged stress. Titanium avoids this but at the expense of a little high frequency response.

It's very hard now to find aluminum diaphragmed compression drivers as the vast majority of the compression driver market is for pro sound. Radian makes aluminum drivers but I heard that Klipsch rejected Radian on cost grounds and decided on B&C which is cheaper.

As a 3" diaphragm driver will probably need EQ for extended highs on the horn designed it probably doesn't make much difference which material is used.

William---Yes, a B&C. I was at Tom Danley's yesterday listening to a new version of his Unity horns and we discussed compression drivers. He's very keen on the B&Cs because they are very, very reliable. But he said that Radian drivers, with aluminum diaphragms, have better high frequency response than B&Cs. But ServoDrive had reliability problems with Radians in the field and thus the change to B&C. Tom was of the opinion that the Radians would be fine for hi-fi with it's less strenuous needs than prosound.

Tom had a couple of those BMS 2-way co-axial compression drivers on hand. Very impressive devices, 2 diaphragms in a single housing, very cool.