Higher End DVD Players

Fordman

Right now Im using a Zenith DVD Player.It works pretty good,but with all the upgrades Ive done this piece seems pretty crappy in comparison with what I have.I have a chance to buy a Pioneer Elite DV-37 for 450.00.I like the Elite because it matches my reciever.Are these more expensive DVD's worth the money?I dont know the model # of mine off the top of my head ,but it has the mirrored front.It also has progressive scan.The quality seems decent but if these other players give a noticeable improvment in all quality aspects I want to get one.

Well the pioneer elite one probably has one of the best digital converters for your digital out wether it be coxial or optical. Personally I would go with the coxial digital.... this is what is recomended for best sound by Onkyo and Integra. I know that the picture on the pioneer elites is really really nice when hooked up with a good hdtv, but based i really do not know to much about zenith

Fordman,

Before you get a progressive scan, be sure that your TV can display the progressive output. Why pay for progressive if you cannot display it properly?

My TV will only display progressive signals in "Full Screen" mode which is rarely the best mode. My TV has a line doubler built in that is terrific; it also does 3:2 pulldown. Hence there is no reason for me to have a progressive. I happen to have one, but I bot it for the DVD-A feature.

Hence your current and perhaps future TV drives the decision to some extent IMO.

Hope that this helps.

Bill

Are higher quality DVD players worth the extra money? DUH You bet they are,with the endless piles of garbage quality DVD players sold all over the place if you have a high quality HT you need a high quality DVD player.

My cheapest DVD player is the Toshiba 5700,now just gathering dust(a backup unit if you will).Great image and good sound quality.Its just its the built quality I have a hard time coping with,its built like a garbage can.

My main DVD is the Pioneer DVAX10,this is a real High-End player.Does DVD,DVD-A and SACD all in style.The image quality of this unit is about as good as it gets and sound quality is right there with the High-End CD players of this world.Plus the build quality is second to none,and at around 50lbs its built to last.

I have a Denon DCD3520 I still use as transport,also superb built quality.Unlike the mass market junk of today.

The Pioneer Elite line brings solid improvements over the El Cheapo players,if you cannot see or hear the change then...the system is low rez or your ears may be low rez. LOL

One more comment on expensive DVD players: The mean time between failures on all infra red lasers is about 3000 hours. That is the state of the art.

When the blue lasers arrive, they will allegedly go 10,000 hours between failures. About 5 times as much data can be stored on a blue laser DVD, hence they will be high def.

Finally, cheap DVDs don't put out a decent picture etc., expensive machines suffer diminishing returns. Balance is key here, especially until the technology settles IMO.

Bill

Re: Prior posts on the DV-45 and Yamaha universal DVD players.

The Pioneer DV-45A has a very good reputation for a mid-priced universal player. It does not have the firewire port for digital hookup with the 49TXi receiver like the DV-47Ai does.

There are better players, but they cost a lot more. This seems to be a sweet spot in the market.

I went with the Yamaha DV-C6480 because it holds 5 discs. Audio is very good, but a few features are missing such as a screen saver and remote power on. I put the 6480 on a Rat Shack RF remote to get around the lack of remote power on. What a mistake; two in a row fried and degraded the sound. I now turn it on manually and have no problems.

Bill

When will we get higher def on DVD? Does that mean we get to buy our movies all over again? Kinda like music where I have "Framton Comes Alive" on lp, 8-track, cassette, and CD.

I bought a third generation Toshiba DVD a few years ago for over $500 (back when the future of DVD was uncertain). Does it have any performance benefits over the new ones under $200? I assume not.

I'd like to buy an Elite for Progressive scan and SACD but I need to slow down on the hifi and my Toshiba is getting the job done...just a little stair-stepping on lines and edges of solids.

And then there's the Marantz 8200 DVD-A&V/SACD/CD with Progressive Scan(of course)and THX Ultra2 certified and the 8300 Receiver with capability for all the above and then some. The DVD player will list for about $1,200 and the receiver for $1,500. The SACD will be multichannel.

Kjohnsonhp raised a good question-Will we have to buy new copies of movies when DVD goes high definition. I suspect that as we move farther into high definition territory, the answer will be yes. That said, it will take many years for high def DVDs to take over.

There is a high def format war looming. One group does not want the high def DVD to be backward compatible. A much smaller indusrty group wants backward compatibility. It will take some time to sort out IMO.

I suspect that high def DVD will fail without backward compatibility. There is too much momentum with conventional DVD. It has grown much faster than VHS.

Bill

Huhuru,

I looked at the Yamaha you talked about in your post. It is a very nice player, only problem is it doesn't have SACD, which for me is a must.

Fini,

I am looking at the Pioneer DV-45A. Thats a sweet player and I think I am going to buy it for my system. I just wish they had a similiar model in a changer.

McGoo,

I am with you on the progressive scan thing. Since I got the Dish 6000 with component outs I have to watch with the side bars unless a true HDTV signal is being sent. I can use the modes on the reciever to fill(there are several), but they suck compared to the internal ones in my Hitachi. However I have to use the S video out to use the modes on the tv to convert to Widescreen and the picture quality diminishes enough that I am not happy with it.

What I will prbably end up doing is using the Pioneer for true widescreen dvd's, the ones that I want to expand the screen on I will use my xbox which really is a great little dvd player when you use the component video outs.

EJ 1.gif

i have seen the models spoken of, and i can tell you that the extra money is worth it, for higher end i mean. go into a high end shop, and they sell sony, pioneer, denon... but they demo thier plasma tv's with rotel, after i saw this i took time to demo the sony's.... and did discover all aspects of the rotel were far superior, plus i discovered that if you wait just a short period of time rotel will be coming out with thier new line, they will include dvd-a, sacd, dvd..... too many to list, all in the same unit. for between 800-1200 depending on the unit you choose, and yes higher end is better12.gif