KLF C7 vs Heresy, Heresy as surround

kjohnsonhp

I've started from scratch and slowly have been building a HT enjoying each addition. Here are my impression on the Heresy's I just bought.

KLF C7 vs Heresy for Center w/Cornwalls as mains

Heresy PROS:

* more bass (I have my AVR xover at 80Hz)

* better match and blending of sound with Cornwalls

* more full sound (C7 seems over powered at high volume)

* only Heritage that fits inverted on top of my 55" Mitsu RPTV

Heresy CONS:

* vocals are more noticably coming from narrow speaker above middle of TV--more so than C7.

* not ideal inverted and angled on top...looks too tall...like a chimney

C7 PROS:

* good vocal dispersion--seems like a better match of vocals to screen

* better fit on top of TV

C7 CONS:

* not timbre matched w/Cornwalls

* seems over powered compared to Cornwalls at high volume

* not as full of sound or seamless with Cornwalls

Would an Academy be any better than the C7? It's a little frustrating because I like the Heresy for music but the C7 for vocals. For music videos like my Diana Krall DVD I tend to turn off the center and keep the surrounds.

I replaced BA A60's as surrounds with the Heresys and the Heresy performed as someone had described...more full sound, more bass, better blend. The BA had good high frequencies but didn't blend as well nore provide as much sound.

So my current setup is:

FRONT: 1976 Cornwall

SURROUND: 1977 Heresy

CENTER: KLF C7

SUB: CSW PSW1 15"/500W -- to be replaced by SVS

OUTLAW 1050

Mitsu WS55819

I think this is a pretty good budget HT although it would have been a lot prettier and easier (and more expensive) to buy a new matching system like the RF7 system.

I might try one of the BA's in the rear before adding another Heresy. Then I'll add the SVS sub.

KJ,

Considering what you have to work with I think I would keep the Heresey's on the rear. Although they are a better match than the CLF7 for the center I think they will be more appreciated in the rear until wyou are able to get another set of Heritage to replace them in the rear. At that point I would move both to the center.

Note that with the Heritage line will never have the dispersion of that CLF7 because of the horn it has. Two hereseys on the center with a little distance between them, pitched down, and not angled in at the listening point does a pretty good job of making the front soundstage seamless and keeps the center sounding prottey wide open.

EJ1.gif

• 1 month later...

I think you should try to stay with a Heritage center speaker and purchase one used. The Heresys are plentiful and you can sell singles on ebay if you have to buy a pair and only want one.

I think the ideal center for the KHorns would be a Belle but due to size you may have to use a Heresy.

I'm finding that a Heresy on it's side on top of my RPTV is working well. I seem to like it better than inverted.

I still haven't gotten my Academy...I guess it's shipping after XMAS. With patience you can find them used.

"Heresy CONS:

* vocals are more noticably coming from narrow speaker above middle of TV--more so than C7.

* not ideal inverted and angled on top...looks too tall...like a chimney"

When I tried a single inverted Heresy as a center for my Belle's, I also experienced a noticeably localized center sound. I also did not like the chimney or Alfa-like look of a single Heresy on my RPTV. I decided to try two Heresy's and after toeing both in and adding a 1/4 inch angle to the rear of each, I now have a very full and seamless transition of sound across the entire front. For me, I find the sound and look of both Heresy's on the TV more pleasing. Not sure if distance played a factor in the single Heresy sound, as my fronts are 25 feet from my seating position.

You may want to try two of your Heresy's as center to determine if you prefer their sound over the use of one.

Won't cost anything as you have them on hand. An Academy is a worthy but hard to find and ofter expensive option for Cornwall fronts.

IMO, Klipschorn fronts deserve nothing less than a full range Heritage as center, especially a La Scala or Belle.

Wes

I have accepted an offer to buy a mint black Academy for $300 but I'm not sure how quickly I'll get it.

In the mean time I have replaced the woofer in my C7 and I'm using it for a center with Heresys as surround.

I tried one of my surround Heresys as a center. After an initial test I like the Heresy on its side better than inverted. I'll try a pair next.

I'm going to try the Academy before buying more Heresys for centers.

I'd love to have KHorns in front and move my Cornwalls to the sides. I would then drop a 100" screen between the KHorns and above a Belle. I didn't do that due to cost and I'm only 11' from the screen (20' long room). I think being close also contributes to sensing the center coming from above the TV.

I managed to find a La Scala for $300 in really good shape about 15 miles from me, that had been stored upstairs in a barn for three years, a little dusting & wiping and brushing off the crossover and treating the contacts with Caig's DeOxit and violah! I laid it on its side and actually heaved my 43" RPTV on top of this thing, it worked perfect the TV is almost identical to the La Scala's width laying on its side. It made a tremendous difference, it is similar in vintage to my Belle's '78 vs. '80 with AA X'over. The front is now seamless and the imaging is great the horn in the La Scala is large and disperses the mids well. I have since relegated my KV-4 which did work well with the Belle's with some adjusting of the channel levels to rear center channel duty. The dual Heresy idea sounds like a good one. An Academy is only 96db @ 1W aren't the Cornwalls 101db @ 1W? The KV-4 worked well since it is 99db @ 1W and has a 2" tweeter & tractix horn in addition to higher power handling. Perhaps a third Cornwall?

----------------

On 12/21/2002 3:07:17 PM ShapeShifter wrote:

"... I decided to try two Heresy's and after toeing both in and adding a 1/4 inch angle to the rear of each, I now have a very full and seamless transition of sound across the entire front."

----------------

Please advise what elevation / spacing you put these. I'm still trying to figure out the font configuration with K-horns flanking a "large" screen (wife insists on an entertainment center)

----------------

On 12/21/2002 6:39:40 PM Cybernalt wrote:

----------------

On 12/21/2002 3:07:17 PM ShapeShifter wrote:

"... I decided to try two Heresy's and after toeing both in and adding a 1/4 inch angle to the rear of each, I now have a very full and seamless transition of sound across the entire front."

----------------

Please advise what elevation / spacing you put these. I'm still trying to figure out the font configuration with K-horns flanking a "large" screen (wife insists on an entertainment center)

----------------

My RPTV is 52" high and 42" wide. Both Heresy's are centered on the set toed in within 1/4" of of each other. I cut a 5 1/2" width of 1/4" thickness styrofoam and inserted it underneath the rear both inverted speakers to give me the downward angle that sounds best based on my distance from the fronts. Your actual distance from the fronts would likely influence their spacing and sound dispersion. Experimentation is probably key to finding what sounds best.

In using an entertainment center with Khorn fronts, i've heard that one must ensure that they have sufficient wall clearance between Khorns and entertainment center. It's needed to allow them to have adequate wall space to generate the bass reproduction they are capable of. If the distance is limited, one is likely incur cancellation due to the bass being reflected back to the Khorns. I seem to recall their was a thread that addressed that very issue. Perhaps you can find it, or someone will post more info on that topic.

Regards,

Wes

Wes

KJ

I can't comment on the Academy. I have not ever heard one, but I would guess it would be closer to the C7 in Timbre.

Have you seen Steve P's pics of his HT on Justins site? He has a K401 mounted in a separate cabinet under a Heresy.

You may want to try a bigger midrange Horn instead of running 2 Heresys, especailly if size is a problem.

JM

Ive tried a C7 with Heritage fronts and have used an Academy as well. The C7 is very different from the Academy in tone and timbre. If a small footprint is desired, then the Academy is a very good candidate for Heresy and Cornwall fronts. Though the Academy performed admirably with my Belles, it would not be my recommended choice for Belle, La Scala and Khorn fronts.

A Heresy modified with a larger squawker should be an excellent match and eliminate the need for dual centers as stated. However, it would not eliminate his concern with the "tall....chimney like" appearance issue.

Wes

----------------

On 12/23/2002 10:23:56 AM ShapeShifter wrote:

A Heresy modified with a larger squawker should be an excellent match and eliminate the need for dual centers as stated.

----------------

... how about Two Heresy's for a center, bookended by K-horns. I have the room, and can buy a pair for 1/2 the price of a RC-7.

cyber

I tried one and two Heresys in between my Khorns in my personal search for the correct center.

One heresy, just sounded too "small" in between the mighty khorns. When I tried two, it was better, but having the 2 K77 tweeters was too much, and the two K700 were still a bit small sounding in the midrange. I just was not happy with that combo but that was me and my large room.

My HT really came alive when I put in the single K400 in between the Khorns.

I ended up mounting the K77 and K400 over the screen and have a pair of K22's in Heresy boxes under the screen.

JM

----------------

On 12/23/2002 9:03:57 PM Cybernalt wrote:

... how about Two Heresy's for a center, bookended by K-horns. I have the room, and can buy a pair for 1/2 the price of a RC-7.

----------------

A few postings up I stated that's exactly what I'm using with Belles. So imo, the dual Heresy's are definitely working for me. The one thing Im unsure of is, does the pleasure factor diminish based on ones nearness to a dual center setup?

If you have two Heresys already available, buy all means give them a try with your Khorns. If not, a single Belle or La Scala would best serve as center for Khorns, providing you have the space or approval from your significant other.

Wes

----------------

On 12/24/2002 9:17:27 AM j-malotky wrote:

I ended up mounting the K77 and K400 over the screen and have a pair of K22's in Heresy boxes under the screen.

----------------

... so to paraphrase - you would suggest buying two Heresy's, removing and covering the tweeter holes, mounting the boxes (with K22's) under the screen,a dn placing a single K77 and a single K400 over the screen.

.. pardon my ignorance, but I assume a K77 is the tweeter horn in a Heresy - Right? Where do I get a K400?

p.s. to Wes: ... significant other would freak with a not, Belle or La Scala .. I can hide the above in the entertainment center.

----------------

On 12/24/2002 9:17:27 AM j-malotky wrote:

----------------

... so to paraphrase - you would suggest buying two Heresy's, removing and covering the tweeter holes, mounting the boxes (with K22's) under the screen,a dn placing a single K77 and a single K400 over the screen.

.. pardon my ignorance, but I assume a K77 is the tweeter horn in a Heresy - Right? Where do I get a K400?

p.s. to Wes: ... significant other would freak with a not, Belle or La Scala .. I can hide the above in the entertainment center.

Cyber

If your going to follow what I did, don't buy the Heresy set and gut...

I bought my pair of K22 off ebay for $75 for the pair.

I got the Heresy cabinets from a guy off Ebay who had two gutted pairs selling at one time. I emailed him to ask about the cabinets and he said they were pulled from a bar and were damamged. He sent me pics, and they were acceptable to me so we negociated a price for the pair of Cabinets and grills for $35. Was a lot cheaper than finding a pair of Heresys.

The K77 is the tweeter. Lots of them on Ebay.

I got my K400 from another member here. It is the hardest part to find. I belive Qman has a few K401's for sale.

JM