RSW-10 VS SVS CS

Stephen328

Well, ive finally decided on my mains, RF-3s. I'm fairly close to purchasing them. Cant Wait. So in a few months time hopefully i'll be in a good position to buy a new sub. Originally I was thinking about the RSW-10, nice sub, but my main concern is that it only goes down to 29hz. And I really do want/need lower extension than that. I know the RSW would probably blend better with my RF-3s, but i cant help being attracted to SVS. I'm looking at on of the CS series, maybe the 20-39. Right now I have a Yamaha m-4 (120w x 4 @ 8 ohms, 170w x 2 @ 4 ohms). I was planning on using this to bi-amp my rf-3s. Or i could use it to power a sub. If i did use my current amp, I could always buy a second SVS eventually. We'll see. Too many options. I just really love deep, clean bass and id rather have a little clean bass than a lot of dirty bass. Thanks for the advice. 9.gif

The RSW-10 gives a lot of clean tight punchy base, but as you said it only goes down to 30Hz. It blends perfectly with my RF-3IIs and the rest of my system. For me personally its perfect and enough, another thing to consider is space and aesthetics - the RSW-10 is a beauty. But again if you must have output below 30Hz, then it will not provide it, but at the same time it simly shines in the range from 30-120Hz - you must hear it - or maybe the RSW-12 will suit you better. Are you thinking of powering the SVS with the same amp that will power your RF-3IIs? I wouldn't do that, the sub will put a heavy load on the amp that will affect the mains.

Stephen328 have you tried the psb subsonic 6 yetlike I have mentioned before,If your looking for tight clean room filling bass you better try this one,I have tried the rsw10,Did not impress me at all.Had to turn the volume up about 3/4 way to get something out of it,They say a 750 watts or what ever I don't think so,thats bull s..t,I have 125 watt amp 440 watt peak power in the psb set at 1/2 and this thing blows the klipsch away,Did not go to deep like the psb and just vibrated the side of my wall instead of filling the room.Psb you feel the bass any where in the room you move to,RSW 10 will not,You will find that out your self,If you come up close or sit beside the klipsch u will not hear it,move away and you start to hear it,psb fills the room with tight bass down to 20 every where...

Ry,

The PSB Sunsonic 6 is nothing special,PSB does not make and subwoofers that stand out.Even the largest sub they make falls to the low end of good subs.The Sunsonic 6 is boomy,not neat as clean as a Klipsch RSW or Velo HGS sub.

Your RSW10 must be a faulty unit.I have only to turn the gain on my RSW10 top 1/3 to get great output.And the subwoofer gain is set to 0 on the Sunfire pre/pro.

The RSW10 is both better built,and has more defined bass then the Subsonic 6.

Who cares about wattage,its how a sub sound that matters.

Ear i don't know where you heard the psb but seems to me every one likes them and for the price,There great,They are not boomy like you say,They have nice low deep end down to 20 hz and fills your room, not like RSW 10,12,15,RSW They just shake your wall where you place it.HOOO CARES if they shake the wall, if thats what you like,And power,I am just saying that Rsw says it has 750 watts or what ever and psb has only 125 watts of real true power,Thats the difference Real watts .Regarding the rsw, dhopp on this forum also had a problem with the control on this rsw10 and my friend did also,And along with a friends rsw15 he returned it and went with two psb 6's,He is more than happy now,He can sit down any where in his 32 x24 recroom and feel the low end hit him,And yes if you look any where in his room on any wall the pictures are rattling with the psb but they fill the room with nice low end not like rsw.Reading lots of tests on these and doing my own tests with friends we have found that psb will go alot deeper in low end bass than rsw models,But I must say two psb 6's are equal to one rsw 15.

Like I said PSB is not even a conterder for me,where subs are concerned.Did listen to many units(including the Subsonic 6)and was in no way taken by the performance.They are good,but like I said nothing special.

SVS,HSU,Sunfire,Revel,Aerial,Velodyne and Klipsch RSW all surpass the best PSB has to offer.Want value,the Paradigm PW2200 beats the Subsonic6 easy.

PSB makes great inexpensive speakers,oh yes they do.I like the PSB Stratus alot,its quite a speaker for the price.But the subs they have...I dont know would not give my money for PSB subs.

A would not change my RSW10 for the PSB SUbsonic6.Not even if the PSB had ...Dynaudio bird eye maple finish.

Ear you must have your rsw 10 on wooden floors,Any $100.00 sub will boom the floors.Try placing it on cement and then compare,If you are so experienced with subs you should know this by now,We compared rsw10 and sub6 beside each other in the same spot,Sitting across the room you could not hear nor feel the rsw10,This is a 20 ft room,PSB could be felt any where in the room,Try moving around your room your self with your rsw10 and you will see that in areas you can not hear or feel the rsw10,Who blew away rsw10 ---PSB6.

Ry,

Sure very practical your solution,place a sub on concrete slabs.In the real world most dont have this luxury.Subs are placed on wooden floors,and the PSB Subsonic 6 tends to get boomy,the RSW10 is not boomy(even if the crossover point is set high).

Yes the Subsonic 6 has more deep bass energy,not a question.The RSW10 is more refined and a faster sub.

If you want power(output here)just compare your PSB to a sSunfire SIgnature,your miracle will be put to shame very fast down low.And for those who seek output plus quality at down to earth prices the Paradigm PW2200 and SVS lease expensive models whip the PSB on any test.

PSB is not a force in subwoofers,Paradigm has two interesting subs,Energy does not make the XL18 anymore.Canadian subs I am sorry to say compare poorly to american subs(SVS,HSU,Sunfire,Velodyne,Aerial,Revel and company).The only serious Canadian sub is from a small company called D-BOX,its huge and uses an electromagnet and no permanent magnet like classic speakers,it costs 10K too.Not too practical cost or size wise

• 2 weeks later...

Ear you think these would blow the sunfire sub.Check the attachement,Maybe you have seen them but I would not think so because my friends father told me there very rare, .My friends father got a pair of these from an older guy and put a pair of these in an 6 ply birch cabinet,He is running a 400 watt krell amp on just this box.I think he said they where 18" drivers that weighed 70 pounds each,I have not heard nor seen any thing in my whole life,He said he has heard 2 systems with 2 svs ultras the other had a velodyne hgs18, and a energy microstar12.1 hooked up did not even come close.This home made cabinet he had made with these jensens would just rock your gut.I don't think the sun fire would even come close,maybe 4 of them.If I could get a box like his with these drivers I would pay at least 2 grand.Ear i do not think there would be any sub out there that would even come close and you have probably heard quite a few and tested them just like me.This is the pic he had sent me of the jensens he has used he could not send me his own original pics of his drivers but sent this one to show you what they look like.

post-10563-13819245686506_thumb.jpg

Why did this thread turn into a RSW vs PSB Subsonic, the title is RSW-10 VS SVS CS. If it's not to late Stephen, I'd' say go with the SVS. The RSW are great subs, but as mentioned many times, they don't have much output below 30hz. People tend to focus on how great SVS' are for HT and forget to mention how wonderful they are for music. I'm here to tell that they're no slouch at all in the music department. Theirs just something so intoxicating about having a sub play tuneful low frequencies w/music, it's almost orgasmic9.gif(well maybe not that great). You just have to hear it to know what I'm talking about.

Even though I complained about it up top I'll still talk about it. I agree with TheEar that the PSB isn't really that great a sub. I'd take the RSW over it anyday.

Ry,

The woofer in your pic even if it does weigh 70lbs does not even come close to say a Tumult 15" in sub bass performance.The Tumult can move much more air then probably two of these oldies.And in the sub bass world how much air is being moved is king.

I would not be surprised if a SVS SS 12" woofer whips this giant driver in sub bass under 30Hz.

Yes adire audio makes these and heard them in a van running to bazooka amps,They were mainly designed for car audio not home audio,And yes they do move air,They have about a 1 1/2" throw on the drive,Really boomy and not very hard hittng low end and clear like two of these jensens,I emailed my friends father back for more info and he told me these were used in large concert halls and would rumble the chairs.They where also used in a church years ago, usely mounted in the peak of the roof in pairs."He said " I do not think you can get these drivers anymore but people are on the look out for these that know there stuff and are paying big bucks for them,I have seen a pair on ebay 6 yrs ago and they wanted $500.00 for them,People are paying high dollar for them because you can not find drivers that are made like these to day.They are bullet proof and take a beating,I don't know maybe some older guys on this forum have more info or even heard them to explain.Any way any one have a mint pair? Model PLJ-18 Auditorium. Name your price and i would be very interested in one pair.

Prodj,

Listen,these are older drivers and in these days they did NOT make drivers with very long linear throw.Look at Klipsch,JBL,Jensen,....any make you may name.Like I've said and I repeat myself give me some specs,like Fs,linear travel one way,peak to peak travel then you will still see I am correct.

Yes these must be very high quality woofers,light and rigid paper cones driven by powerful alinco magnets.But how much air can these move,for example a Tumult can move over 5L,per driver!

I maintain my claim,the Tumult whoops the driver in the pic posted by Ry on deep bass.Only on deep bass I said.As the Tumult is a true suboofer driver.

Dustin,please chime in and tell us what you think of this.