Solid State

AnalOg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike...waiting for them to get back to me...there is alot more to the story than what has been posted on the forum by BobG...this is Arkansas...where the cost of living is low...and the wages are too...and klipsch is a union company...where the union makes no discerning factor between the hiring of a new employee as unskilled labor, and the re-hiring of a previous employee who is highly skilled...wage-wise!! So...I have to see what the dice roll turns up from their end before I make any decisions!

Mike...like I said...I am waiting to hear from THEM...who knows what will happen? I am over 3 hours away from Hope...and that means no daily commute...and I can't afford to move there...unless they make it worth my while, where I can get a small place there and keep this here...and still come out ahead...then they are outta luck!! Remember...this is only "part-time" to help them get caught up...and part time isn't job security to me!! I have a job here...for the time being...and if I stay on at it, I will be ok...but I have other irons in the fire too...and hopefully this coming spring sometime, things will be looking up for me thanks to another BB member's confidence in me and my abilities!

I use both kinds.

For background music, parties/entertaining, practicing/rehearsing songs (for band)/general listening & testing my own recordings, I use solid state. It also has the advantage of not wasting tube-life by the amps remaining on for many hours after I have fallen asleep (LOL).

When I really want to do any serious listening or need to impress the hell out of someone, the tubes go on. I liken it to opening a fine bottle of wine that costs $$$$. Also please keep in mind that my amps are prone to going thru tubes faster than most others & are also a pain-in-the-*** to rebias, & they need that done more frequently as well.

I still say the most important & neglected component is the room itself. And it does make a difference if the room is "tuned" not just for the speakers, but also for the associated equipment & source material preceeding it. IE: if the room is tuned to sound best for vinyl LP, tube gear & K-horns playing classical music, SS & CD playback of rock is probably going to sound more "hard" & thinner & lacking fullness in the lower regions. If the room were tuned optimally for SS & CD playing rock, playback of classical music on vinyl with tube gear will probably sound bloated & muddy in the bass, even over bearing, somewhat thick & dark in the mids, & noise (from the LP & tube gear) will probably be exaggerated.

Me....I've choosen to shoot for something in between, especially since I listen to a vary wide variety of music, using both formats, & both SS & tubes.