Solid State

AnalOg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...I like tube sound with Heritage speakers, and I also like SOME s/s...but my budget doesn't allow me to drop half the price of a car on newer "audiophile-grade" s/s...and I have still not heard any of the new S/S stuff that is NOTICEABLY superior to SOME of the S/S stuff that was produced in the 1970's...and those are what I have...my old small H/K collection of S/S "anchors" (as Kelly is want to speak of them) sound pretty damned good...to my ears...and my recent listening experience with LaScalas, Belles, and Cornwalls hooked up to high dollar S/S H/T equipment of current "audiophile grade"...and LaScalas hooked up to Welbourne Labs Moondogs, hasn't really impressed me anymore than SOME of my old H/K "anchors" have, to be quite honest!!!!...and those "anchors" are dirt cheap, too!

I still intend to get a tube set-up in time...but that will have to wait...and I will have to hear what I am getting into before it happens...I won't go out and buy something just on recommendation...unless I am sure that I can get my money back out of it...that's just the way things are for me!

Here is a review of what I DO HAVE though:

H/K 900+...great in 4 channel mode, even better in two channel mode(amps strapped) for stereo listening through Heritage speakers.

H/K 800+...not in same league with the 900+, but still pretty damned good!

H/K 75+...obvious reasons they went to the X00+ series from the previous series of quad receivers...the worst sound of the bunch, but still lots better than most stuff being made today!

H/K 430 stereo receiver...a little gem!! Tuner section could use improvement, but the preamp section and amp section are outstanding for any S/S comparison!! Phono stage is great, but not the best...but anything pushed through its aux inputs or tape monitor circuits is really a treat!!

I don't think anyone on this forum has spent 1/2 the price of a new car on any tube gear.

ASL, AES, and some of vintage stuff is down right inexpensive -- and I don't think anyone loses money on these things if they are bought used to begin with.

So much of this just depends on what you are used to, what you are willing to get used to, and the degree of enjoyment you get out of what you have.

Well gang, I will soon be able to hear the difference myself. After getting a Scott 222D on eBay several weeks ago, I sent it to Craig for upgrades. After doing the upgrades, Craig found the amp still distorted and had some severe crosstalk when tuned up. So my amp went from Ohio to Pennsylvania to Ryan, who also has a 222D and is very knowledgable when it comes to Scotties. Ryan found some bad wiring FROM THE FACTORY, which is mindblowing to us all. In short, the feedback circuits were grounded together producing the distortion and crosstalk. There were some incorrect resistors in the power supply as well. Ryan said that the fatory marks the solder connections with red, so unless this was a kit version (with the factory version faceplate and someone made marks to look like the factory version-unlikely), this was not one of Scotts better workmanship examples. Also, how could the person who bought it originally 40 years ago not have noticed the poor sound and taken it back to get corrected while under warranty? Well, anyway, Ryan said she's fixed now and sounds great, so soon I will be able to give my first impressions of the SS to tube audition.

A big thanks to Craig and Ryan!

I was really sweating Andy's amp the thing almost made me give up on working on other peoples amps. The thing that thru me is it looked so factory I just didn't know where to start !! No mater what I did it just didn't help. If anyone here had heard that amp no one would ever buy tubes or at least a Scott !!! I finially called Ryan who I knew had a good working 222D and he said he would gladly help Andy and I out. Its makes it so much easier when you have a example to compare too especially when the amp is completely different then the 20 other scotts I'm done they really changed the layout on this amp. They added every bell and whistle you could think of to this amp also making the job even harder !!

Anyway Ryan deserves a big pat on the back on this one.

Craig

HDBRbuilder,

What seems to be a good price on the HK430?

I've seen these go on ebay for around 90 to 100 bucks.

Is that a decent price for these things?

My dad has an old JVC that sounds pretty good but one channel of the amp no longer works although the preamp works all the way through.

I've been thinking about geting something along these lines for my little brother, since I moved out with my stereo all he's got is my old boombox and I feel sorry for the little guy.

Peace, Josh

rf3crazy, if I was you I would just send it to craig and have him go through it and get it into tip top shape. What happins if you get the amp from the e-bayer and plug it in and it fryes something, it will just cost more money to fix it and sure would be a disapointment.The odds are you will be sending it to craig anyway to go through it. Just my thoughts one this matter.

You should know that Craig is charging labor for these services now.

A $175 Scott he is sending to me, ended up being $1175 after he replaced and handful of resistors. I think he's just charging a flat fee of $1000 for heating up the old soldering gun9.gif

WOW!!!!

Now your starting to scare me. I knew he charged for the services & I wouldnt want or expect anyone to work for free, becouse I sure don't.

Reading alot of his posts, I got the impression a go through on a unit was about $175.00. Maybe I misunderstood. I'll wait for Craigs response and we will discuss he rates. I'm sure we'll work it out if he's interested in the job.

Tom

Invidiosulus,

There have been three H/K 430 models on eBay recently that have had "buy it now" or initial bid bottom ends of between 90-100 bucks...and that is actually pretty ridiculous, since they have been going for around 30-35 bucks all summer!! Either the word has finally gotten out on the quality of these babies, or some folks are trying to drive up the prices on them...I don't know which...but, like I said, they have been going for around 30-35 bucks all summer!! They are easily worth 100 bucks in MY opinion...but I sure as hell hate to see buyers pay that much based on previous prices for them!! They only cost around $320 new in 1976!!

Mike...waiting for them to get back to me...there is alot more to the story than what has been posted on the forum by BobG...this is Arkansas...where the cost of living is low...and the wages are too...and klipsch is a union company...where the union makes no discerning factor between the hiring of a new employee as unskilled labor, and the re-hiring of a previous employee who is highly skilled...wage-wise!! So...I have to see what the dice roll turns up from their end before I make any decisions!