Closure of Theater Chains...

Chris A

On 10/4/2020 at 7:00 PM, Chris A said:

This can't be good for the professional/cinema marketplace:  https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-cineworld-grp/regal-owner-cineworld-considering-closing-all-u-s-uk-screens-idUSKBN26P00F

This puts a lot more pressure on outfits like Klipsch (KGI) consumer products to carry the load while the big cinema chains figure out how to deal with the SARS-CoV-II virus.  I think there is a lot that can be done to increase the safety of cinemas, but the profitability of such cinemas is going to change--especially for the major movie studios that create "A" films.  Perhaps home theaters as a concept is something that could be developed into neighborhood/smaller venues...?

Your thoughts?

Chris

Here is where Jeff started to get political--I'm not complaining but I know where he was going with this: 

On 10/4/2020 at 8:35 PM, Jeff Matthews said:

I don't know how they've lasted this long.  The PPP must have been pretty good.

Here is my thoughtful getting to the point response. Yes. It was slightly political but is important to Chris's thread as a rebuttal to the above.

On 10/4/2020 at 8:43 PM, Zen Traveler said:

If they are closing, my guess not. Should have spent more money and resources with a National pandemic strategy, starting with the lockdown.

Below is my real experience along with the PPP observations although I don't own a theater.

On 10/5/2020 at 9:57 PM, Zen Traveler said:

Imo, it depends who owns their Retail Space on which will make it--Landlords will want to see their rent, while owners of the property can whither this storm....That's my take.

Here Chris goes OT and reminds us that we are FAR from outta the woods insofar as Covid-19 is concerned.

On 10/13/2020 at 5:11 PM, Chris A said:

And then however you want to categorize this was said: {Note: YES this same response closed down the Coronavirus thread}

On 10/13/2020 at 7:18 PM, rebuy said:

There is Zero Proof that mask stops the Spread of The Chinese Virus.

It's Not a Healthy Practice for a person to wear a Mask All Day.

And of course another Klipsch Forum member welcomes me back in his own way:

On 10/14/2020 at 6:19 AM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Not sure why he's back after being banned, but he is trolling, just like he always did. 

Fwiw, I'm glad to be back but having been gone I see an obvious trend in how these topics change course...

20 hours ago, Chris A said:

How do young adults/kids socialize (in person) to offset the huge shift toward physical isolation we're experiencing?  I'm certainly no expert, but I would guess the current situation (subject to change) is going to have a fairly strong effect on communities--and not entirely for the better. 

The idea is to provide neighborhood screenings with good sound and reasonable screen resolution/quality (to replace losing the big screens) to attract the kids to a venue where they can have fun but are somewhat protected by on-site personnel to help keep them out of the ditch, so to speak.  It's probably better than the street.  It looks to me like the current state is going to become a real problem--sort of like the same problem in the book Freakonomics, part of which sought to quantify the causality of Roe v. Wade with lowering the crime rates 20 years later. 

Chris

Btw, I was still puzzled how the first paragraph fit into the discussion but respectfully don't think local small theater setups is even a consideration. My 2 cents and think the pandemic has raised to the forefront important issues that need to be addressed by all of us. {Note: But I get reminded this is a speaker and audio forum.}

20 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Below is my real experience along with the PPP observations although I don't own a theater.

On 10/5/2020 at 9:57 PM, Zen Traveler said:

Imo, it depends who owns their Retail Space on which will make it--Landlords will want to see their rent, while owners of the property can whither this storm....That's my take.

Is this based on an assumption that real estate owners don't have debts and expenses to pay?  Or are you assuming they are all so rich that their debts are insignificant?

22 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Is this based on an assumption that real estate owners don't have debts and expenses to pay?  Or are you assuming they are all so rich that their debts are insignificant?

Not at all. In fact, when our State closed down my business I committed to pay our NNN obligation, on time, even thought we were closed....The sticky situation is the actual rent being charged after everyone involved admitted it was unchartered territory to have GOVERNMENT closing us down due to a pandemic. The landlords still have their investment in the building and I'm still willing to pay rent while we are ALLOWED to be open. Fwiw, in this environment it seems advantageous to keep my business open and we do have vacancies in the center and some businesses not coming back because of Covid-19.  

2 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

Here is where Jeff started to get political--I'm not complaining but I know where he was going with this: 

Here is my thoughtful getting to the point response. Yes. It was slightly political but is important to Chris's thread as a rebuttal to the above.

Here Chris goes OT and reminds us that we are FAR from outta the woods insofar as Covid-19 is concerned.

And then however you want to categorize this was said: {Note: YES this same response closed down the Coronavirus thread}

And of course another Klipsch Forum member welcomes me back in his own way:

Fwiw, I'm glad to be back but having been gone I see an obvious trend in how these topics change course...

I expect nothing less

than thoughtfulness from you.

Welcome back!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

when our State closed down my business I committed to pay our NNN obligation, on time, even thought we were closed....

You are among the lucky.  Many business owners are "paycheck to paycheck."  Imagine owning a highly leveraged small restaurant chain, or similar.  They had to wreck your livelihood literally to save the world.

15 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

You are among the lucky.  Many business owners are "paycheck to paycheck."  Imagine owning a highly leveraged small restaurant chain, or similar.  They had to wreck your livelihood literally to save the world.

Definitely luckier than most and I can dig those restaurants and similar businesses are going through some hard times...That said, if you don't think being closed by government for 2 months, reopening several weeks earlier than what was targeted with a 50% social distancing mandate along with mandatory mask wearing, is something that we're not going through hardship with you are mistaken.  Btw, I didn't say that the landlord negated our rent for those two months-- they are now are trying to negotiate with me paying them back--could possibly use your help on that. ;) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Definitely luckier than most and I can dig those restaurants and similar businesses are going through some hard times...That said, if you don't think being closed by government mandate for 2 months, reopening several weeks earlier than what was targeted with a 50% social distancing mandate along with mandatory mask wearing, is something that we're not going through hardship with you are mistaken.  Btw, I didn't say that the landlord negated our rent for those two months-- they are now are trying to negotiate with me paying them back--could possibly use your help on that. ;) 

Oh, I see.  I was under the impression you were saying you were paid-up and all is good.  

Yeah, this is a historic time, and it has taken a massive toll on a lot of people.  I feel for you and wish you all the best.