My next project -- I will need help from you

Deang

I've had this thing for about 20 years. I ended up with it from a trade. After I got it, I couldn't find a cartridge for it. Then, couldn't find any info on it. Of course, this was before the Internet took off.

I have no idea what to do with it. I will start by tearing it down and just making it pretty again. It DOES work, but the arm is useless.

There is no vertical movement with the arm, it only goes back and forth. The cartridge would slide into the end, and there was a little push button on the end of the arm that one would push to raise the cartridge.

So, what the hell do I do with this thing?

post-3205-1381924570193_thumb.jpg

that looks like a thorens TD-124...I think...That is a pretty well regards vintage TT. I would ditch the arm (I have never seen anyhitng like that) and replace with an old SME unit, I think this model thorens takes a 12" arm...should be a good turntable once you get a decent arm on it. Regards, Tony

That's a Shure tonearm, mid 1960's vintage--not a total POS, but you can do A LOT better. The table is a Mk. 1 TD-124, a "classic" that also can be made to sound REALLY REALLY good--but you have to use the right tonearm, right cartridge and put it on a sand-box AND an air bladder!

I like the 12" SME 3012, but a 3009 or Ortofon will work too. I know some guys who use Infinity and Grace tonearms to good effect too. I think you should start out with a SME 3009(way cheaper than a 12"). If you can come up with an Ortofon SPU, then that's the right cartridge.

If you want to know how I made mine sound INCREDIBLE, let me know and I'll give you the details.

This is a GREAT turntable!

Al,

I spent the night doing the following:

I checked both the top platter and heavy platter underneath for warpage. They both look good, and are in real good shape. I tried to remove the heavy platter without pulling the shaft out -- but to no avail. I ended up gently removing the platter and shaft together, I then separated the shaft from the platter. Surprisingly, still pleny of oil. This all looked good as well. Cosmetically speaking, the wood base looks pretty good too -- nothing I can't bring back to near perfect.

The arm, as it turns out -- is the Shure M12 Dynetic Reproducer (1963), and there were only two cartdridges that would work in it (the M1 and M2). Needless to say -- no longer available.

I'm completely bewildered as to how to remove the arm from the board. There is an ornamental plate that covers the screws attaching the arm to the board, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove it. The plate is just supposed to slide down the shaft onto the base -- but this thing almost seems like it's freaking welded in place. I guess I'll eventually figure it out. Here is the link for the tonearm. http://www.shure.com/pdf/discontinued/m1_m2_m12_m16.pdf

The metal 'belt' looks good, just in need of some cleaning. The rubber belt on top is pretty loose. It still works the wheels, but it seems kind of sloppy to me. I have no manual, so I don't know the length of this belt. Surely there is a suitable replacement for it? The idler wheel looks O.K. too.

The clutch mechanism does not stop the platter. Mechanically it seems fine, it just doesn't seem to push the metal strip up against the bottom of platter far enough. I'm thinking the small springs underneath, that support the clutching effort, have simply weakened over time.

No evidence of corrosion anywhere, it just needs a good cleaning, and oil in critical parts. I've already read about how to take care of the main shaft and properly seat it.

So, at this point -- I need to figure out the tonearm business. I get the impression the 3009 is 1/2 as old as I am. It sure doesn't appear to me that these are readily available. I need a solution that's fairly feesable.

Dean,

Please check the link in my previous post since it has a lot of valuable information.

The cluch only stops the top platter and not the whole platter.By doing so the motor keeps running underneath and you dont need to turn the motor on and off so it saves time and there's less friction and wear to the idler wheel and belt.Before you turn it on you should give it a little spin to decrease wear as well.

The rega RB300 or RB600 are very good,budget tonearm that work great with this turntable as well.

Hee hee, yes Guy -- I finally figured out the bit with the clutch. I'm tired, I need to go to bed.

I read everything from the link, and also found the manual online. I've been going through that for the last hour.

Just found an SME 3009R for $300. Good deal? Too much?

I have a couple of "spare" 3009 tonearms lying about--I'd be happy to let you "borrow" one with an original armboard to get your 124 running. If you end up liking it I'm sure we can make a deal for it. I have one with updated RCA jacks, so you can use just about any phono interconnect.

As far as removing the tonearm--just take off the whole armboard.

You should really refresh ALL of the rubber, with the possible exception of the idler wheel.

I have ordered parts for a 124 in the last 2-3 years from an outfit in Europe--I have the info at work and will have to get back to you on Monday about that.

Allan, you are true gentleman. Thank you for the gracious offer. That really takes a huge load off of me.

I've already removed the armboard. Strange choice of material for that thing. It's painted black, but almost appears to be birch plywood.

The manual is outstanding. There is a tremendous amount of detail in it. I'll probably have to read through it a few times to get it all to sink in. I haven't even looked at a TT since 1982.

Guy. congratulations! That's awesome. Guess you will have to find a way to get your new bride hooked on the forum as well!

Thanks guys.

We had a great time.

The wedding took place on Tel-Aviv beach and it was a beautifull wintery day.There was a lot of excitement,beutifull ceremony,great jazz quartet playing great music,excellent food,many drinks and a lot of friends.

It was the happiest day of our lives.

Wish you all a nice weekend & happy thanks giving.

Guy