few different klipsch models am looking at

fred jones

way back when I had a pair of Klipsch Fortes ( 93 ?).....and then later on I had a pair of KLF -30'S for a few years.             no longer have both pairs.....but am wanting to get another pair of Klipsch.

i see on the facebook market place that there are :

klipsch quartets and seller is asking $550 for those.    they look to be in very good condition.

I just saw a pair of Klipsch Heresy ( 70-80's model ) for $700 and they dont have the grills....so could grills still be ordered ?         for the speaker terminals.....was it a single or dual binding post?    

attached are some pictures of the heresy and are the drivers original or do they look like they were replaced ?     also attached the picture of the serial number sticker.

also see a pair of Heresy 11   (   $800 ) that look very nice and have the following :                they have consecutive serial numbers, re-varnished the cabinets, bob crites crossover and tweeter , mid range replaced in left channel with factory replacement .

i know its a matter of opinion and equipment used....and currently have a tube preamp with a innersound esl 300 amp , ayre cx-7 cd player......but which speaker would be the best choice ?         may eventually get a tube amp to run these.

klispch heresy speaker terminal back.jpg

front of heresy.jpg

heresy label.jpg

klipsch heresy 2 front.jpg

I've had all the models you're talking about and I love my 81 Heresys.

On that vintage of Heresy they used little screws to screw in the empty holes in the picture you posted.  The speaker wire gets wrapped around the screw.  The right side one is the positive input.  You can see a little red above that side.

You probably can't get grilles from Klipsch anymore but there's always ones on eBay and other online sources.

Realistically I'd say the older Heresys should be in the $500 range without grilles. 

• Like 2

You will find that the price of Klipsch speakers can vary quite a bit in different parts of the country - condition naturally has a large impact on value too.

Of the speakers you have mention IMO

The Quartets will be the closest thing to your forte's though a bit more flayed back– they were of the same era and family of Quartets, forte & Chorus.

The Heresy Is are not setup for dual binding posts. As for the grills – it is very unlikely Klipsch will have replacements, but they should be fairly easy to get.

The Heresy IIs are nice but consecutive serial numbers in itself would not be a deal breaker. .

As for prices

The Quartets are in the ballpark.

The Heresy IIs are too high ~$500-600 is more like it

The Heresy Is at $700 is a bit much, you will find better examples for ~$500 with just a bit of patience.

I have seen a few pairs of the Heresy 2's and it seems that the going price is right around the $800-850 range.....and while the prices might be high, guess I will have to bite the bullet if I want them.        with the crossovers being done on the Heresy 2's they wont need anything and will be plug and play

there is a pair of Forte 1's not far and they are asking $1100......which is not far from what I paid for mine brand new back in 93?           Not sure if I want to get the Fortes again.....would like to try something different and that is when I saw the Heresy 2.    

i dont see the prices coming down much on any of these speakers......it would be nice if they did.

Edited by fred jones

Sonically, the Quartets are closest to your former Forte's. I had Quartets and they were incredible; efficient and played low. They were just physically too large for me and admittedly, I was sucked into the history of the Heresy heritage.

The Heresy I's in the photo appear to have a chip off the veneer and as has been pointed out, they're missing the screws (easily replaced). I think $700 is too high, considering the flaws and missing grills. Replacement grills do come up on eBay and craigslist. The Heresy II's look like they're in better condition, and they come with the grills and tilt risers. I have Heresy II's and they definitely don't play as low as my Quartets did. If you're really looking for something "different", then get the Heresy II's and you'll have a piece of the Heritage Series nostalgia.