The best Sub for HT?

ZDoug

What do you all consider the best Sub for Ht only purposes? The price limit would be 2k. I am trying to decide between the M&K 350 Thx and dual cs-ultra package from SVS. The 2 cs ultra's are about $2100 and the single M&K 350 is about $1800. I like the idea of 2 subs but I know that M&K has been tested over time and is considered one of the best for HT. The 350 has 2 12" woofers, push/pull design.

The cs ultra's appear to be one 12" per woofer.The other possibility is 2 M&K 150's with the same size cabinets the same 2-12" push/pull woofer design but only 150 watts.

I guess my real question is am I going to get slam with the 2 subs I mentioned above or the one M&K (for HT)?

Wrong ForrestGump!

You only have one answer,I have many

For HT use the SVS Ultra beats the M&K 350THX with no problems.Also the Sunfire Signature is quite a potent HT sub,potent is weak to describe this dynamite cube.

Also to consider are twin HSU VTF-3 subs,below 2 grand and massive sub bass output with great quality.

Or twin Paradigm PW2200,you could get a pair for well under $1400.And also get massive output.

Forest

If you ever heard the Sunfire Signature you would never call any of the sunfire products sunflower. And if you have and didn't like it, you better see a doctor cause there is something wrong with you. I'm not saying its the best sub ever, but it should never be put down.

Mr Ear: I trust your opinion.....3,400+ posts Wow....Are you saying that the Sunfire signature Sub is better for Home theater than the M&K 350. I notice they are both about the same price but the Sunfire is considerably smaller,which I like if I'm not giving up performance.

I have heard great things about the SVS subs but hey are so big I would again go with the sunfire if I'm not giving up performance. Given their size I could shoot for two..... in time. So One Sunfire is better than 1 M&K 350 and 1 or certainly 2 Sunfire signatures are better than the SVS's. Thanks. Anyone besides Ear agree?1.gif

Have a look at VMPS Subs, particularly the Larger Subwoofer. Two of them in 2 corners with the high power drivers keep pace with my 4 La Scalas easily on about 450 watts/channel. They are $699 each assembled and $579 as a kit unassembled. An Acurus A250, A200, Rotel 555, Parasound HCA-3500 or similar amp will drive each sub very well.

http://www.ctaz.com/~moonlite/subvmp.html

or

http://www.vmpsaudio.com/sub1.htm

You should be able to stay under your $ limit with these. As long as I didn't expect the system to hit 114 dB at 2 meters, one Larger Subwoofer was enough.

BTW, a good sub is good for both music and HT. If one is not good for music or if another is not good for HT, neither is a good sub. The VMPS Larger Subwoofer will not disappoint you, unless you think the subs at Circuit City sound "good".

I have owned a M&K 150, and 350 THX, Velodyne ULD 15, FSR-15, HGS-18 and HSU TN-1225 subs driven by a Parasound HCA-1200II that was modified to be used with the Parasound GMAS 18" sub.

The M&K's were ok but I prefferd all the others listed, the HSU subs are a real bang for the buck and the Velodynes all performed very well especially the HGS-18 which was the best sub I ever owned until......

I picked up a Earthquake Supernova MKIV 12 used at a great price and took a shot. Turns out it took a shot at me and kept firing.

When I got it home I did not expect it to be as good as the Velo 18 but was I wrong. It actually shocked me at first, it added such energy and a level of dynamics to my normal subwoofer torture test tracks that I thought I may have messed up when matching the levels with the Velo. I had the sub in the same location as the Velo and after double checking the levels they were the same.....ohhhhhhhhhh joy!

I can't tell you how much more fun action movies have become since I got the Earthquake! It seems to be more effortless then the Velodyne HGS-18. When I wnet back to the Velo it seemed as if it would run out of steam were the Earthquake was still slamming you in the back of the head with a 2 X 4.

I have tried in my home or have heard almost all of the top subs out there and I can see TheEAR knows his stuff especially on those Paradigm PW2200 (great bang for the buck) But I can honestly say that the Earthquake Supernova MKIV is the funnest sub for HT that I have ever owned and the first time I don't feel the need to add a second sub.

Make sure it is a MKIV though since some of the previous models had the controls under the sub which is just plain dumb.

10.gif