Cause of clicking or ticking sound on La Scalas

Jefe

I have an all original pair of 1979 La Scalas that I purchased recently and just started listening to yesterday. I've discovered they are making a slight clicking or ticking sound every few seconds. I removed the source from the chain and have it isolated to either the amp (a brand new Tsakiridis Aeolos Ultra) or the speakers. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing it? I would connect another pair of speakers to the amp to further isolate it if I had any available.

1)   check all  the  wiring  connections  to the amp -

-2)   with a 2nd amplifier/receiver - do a test with the LaScala -

3) prior to swapping with the 2nd amp ,  make a test with 1 speaker plugged in at the time , first test the left speaker only , then the right speaker , on the same channel and vice versa  -

4)- check any switches or routing equipment close to the amplifier

• Like 1

If you haven't already, unscrew and re tighten all the input/output screws on the crossover.  If the drivers have quick disconnects, unplug them and reconnect them several times.  This will remove oxidation and give a much better signal transfer. 

• Like 2

On 12/25/2020 at 11:38 AM, jimjimbo said:

Does volume from the amp cause it to increase?  Both speakers?  Are all drivers fully secured?  Crossovers secured?

The clicking sound seems to stay the same regardless of how much I turn up the volume. Both speakers. I've never touched the crossovers but they appear to be secure. The other thing I notice is that I have to turn up the volume to almost 12 o'clock to really crank these things which really surprises me considering the efficiency of the La Scalas. 

On 12/25/2020 at 11:39 AM, RandyH000 said:

1)   check all  the  wiring  connections  to the amp -

-2)   with a 2nd amplifier/receiver - do a test with the LaScala -

3) prior to swapping with the 2nd amp ,  make a test with 1 speaker plugged in at the time , first test the left speaker only , then the right speaker , on the same channel and vice versa  -

4)- check any switches or routing equipment close to the amplifier

I've checked the connections on the amp. Everything is secure.
Unfortunately I don't have another amp available to test with.
I don't have any network gear located close to the stereo. I do have a TV mounted on the wall above the amp which I unplugged and that didn't help.

On 12/25/2020 at 1:26 PM, wuzzzer said:

If you haven't already, unscrew and re tighten all the input/output screws on the crossover.  If the drivers have quick disconnects, unplug them and reconnect them several times.  This will remove oxidation and give a much better signal transfer. 

I will try this. Thank you. 

3 hours ago, Jefe said:

Unfortunately I don't have another amp available to test with.

The  Tsakiridis Aeolos Ultra  integrated  amp should have  quite a bit of mechanical noise when you power it on ,  as the  relay normally click ON   and  then  OFF ,  constant  clicking noise is very odd  --

---swapping the amp is VIP -- 1) would the clicking /ticking stop ,  the problem is the Amp , and   2)-   if not, the speakers would be the issue   -