Stunning 299B on Ebay

NOSValves

Well Gang, I hate to say this, but the condition of a unit should be reflected in its value. I would rather pay $500 for something very close to mint rather than this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1943995230 . Something will always be worth whatever someone else is willing to pay for it. Sure, as a buyer, you want to get the best possible deal you can, but the rarity of an amp in mint condition creates a demand (I am assuming these are indeed rare in this condition). In the world of coin collecting, coins are rated by professionals as to their condition. Value depends on the population of a particular coin in a particular condition, and at times, a condition rated just one level higher can can command a much higher value.

Now if there are many amps in this condition, then forget what I just said!

I wish my 222D had lettering as nice as the 299...but I'm happy with the sound...just working on minimizing/eliminating that hum.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While that 299B is a lovely looking unit on the exterior, it will probably need some work interior wise. I am just saying that when you get in the $600 range, you better have a fully rebuilt amp from a good source that you trust with quality parts. I just dont think STARTING out at $600 with a unit that needs a rebuild soon is my idea of the vintage game nor does it make the most sense unless you are getting an amp that would cost this much or more normally. You could buy a very nice piece at $225 and put another $150 into it and have a top notch piece spending HALF what the initial $600 unit would cost when you add the rebuild for this current 299b.

Once you get into this price range, you are hedging into different territory with other options to consider.

kh

ps- As for the 299a Type II, Pat and I have been in touch on the matter. He has been dealing with some other more important matters putting the amp in about 8th place on the importance scale. I am in no hurry as well. Craig has been itching to take a look at the beast and he will probably get first crack at it as I dont have the room nor time at the moment to dedicate to the soldering iron (besides, the first crack will go to the ground-up build of the HF-81 or Moondog 2A3/300B.

Its all dean's fault. After his bashing of multi-channel I decided I would buy a couple more Scott pieces to go with my 222-C for a 6.1 HT tube experiment.

In the spring I'm having the first annual meeting of my new audio club. Its called 'Friends Using Klipsch In Multiple', or FUKIM for short. If I can get the equipment together I plan to invite dean down for the meeting where we can settle once and for all whether multiple speakers sound better than a pair with the newer music formats, using both tube and SS equipment.

If I can get enough people to join, I also plan to start a buying club whereas all members buy audio equipment in large quantities at great discount. The buying club is called 'Members Yearn Buying In Dozens With Utterly Zero Bad Sales', or MYBIDWUZBS. You must be a member of the audio club to participate in the buying club.

If things go well the second annual meeting will be held at max's place in Greece. Slick idea, huh?

So, with everyone's help my dreams will become a reality and we can all gather together and laugh about how high Craig drove the prices of old Scott equipment in such a short matter of time.

Keith

You outdid yourself on this one, Keith - Well done.

Though, Craig still has a way to go before he equals the Summer Price Hell of ye olde HF-81 a few months back. While the days of $150 EICO's seem long gone, at least some sense of reality has returned. Hopefully, the Scotts wont suffer such a fate.

Part of the lure of the vintage integrated is the low price and bargain for the ducats. When things get in the above $500 category, smiles start to wane...

kh

Mike,

Yes your correct a LK-72 would net maybe $50 less than a 299C in unrebuilt shape. But if both units were in rebuilt condition by a good tech. Which would render the possible wiring problems a non issue I would say they are worth close to the same since they are Identical amps.

Mobile,

I agree hole heartedly with you to pay $600 for a unrebuilt vintage intergrated for daily use is insane. I think a collector wouldn't even pay this much. I would say in rebuilt state that this amp is weel worth close to $600 but in its stock form $350 max and it would have to have at the very least the original Tele 12AX7 and mullard 5AR4/GZ34 in place. If its been grave robbed for the original tubes its worth even less.

Craig

I wasn't really bashing multichannel. If I could afford it, I'd love to give it a go. My thinking was just if a person invested the same amount of money into a 2-channel rig -- that they were considering for multichannel -- they would end up with a better sounding system. I realize this only works to a point. I mean, yeah -- if you're going to set up 2 K-horns, a Belle, and some Heresies -- or a slew of RF-7's...

Of course, to the best of my knowledge, there isn't anyone making a tubed based HT processor.

I just feel very strongly that a two channel rig with some decent tube gear is always going to trump multichannel in it's ability to pump out sheer musicality.

An option is what Craig and myself are getting ready to try -- that little Dynaco box based on the old Hafler design which pulls out of phase information and sends it to the rear channels. If I like the Heresies, I will probably try to land some Cornwalls down the road and give this a shot with a pair of Scotts.

I agree hole heartedly with you to pay $600 for a unrebuilt vintage intergrated for daily use is insane. I think a collector wouldn't even pay this much. I would say in rebuilt state that this amp is weel worth close to $600 but in its stock form $350 max and it would have to have at the very least the original Tele 12AX7 and mullard 5AR4/GZ34 in place. If its been grave robbed for the original tubes its worth even less.

You know it and I know it. But who was it that said "there's one born every minute"? Don't get me wrong, I'm not one to dish out this much money for this amp either. The point I was trying to make is that if indeed amps in this condition are super rare, then it will surely sell for a hefty sum because someone out there with deep pockets will want it bad enough to outbid every other sane bidder. On the other hand, if these show up occasionally, then with patience, you too can become a proud owner! EBay is a great place...especially for sellers. I've been watching the old Crown IC150A preamps come and go because I am contemplating selling mine, and I've seen them go for anywhere from $100 to 340 or so, therefore timing and luck play an important part...course, Kelly, maybe you can do a rave review of the preamp so I can maybe get as much as $500 for it! You know, it can make any amp sound like an HF-81 (wink wink, nudge nudge)!

In case someone didn't get the joke, I was only kidding about the bid amount. I DID place a bid for $276 because I wanted to see if that amount would meet his reserve. It didn't.

Here's the logic Kelly. I would like to have the pristine/museum 299B. I'm not willing to pay over ~$275 for it though. I decide to place above bid and after learning it did not meet reserve, I'm finished. I turn around and BUY-IT-NOW a LK-72 amp/LT-110 tuner for $225.

Clean off the bench Craig (kidding about the discount).

FIVE of those RF7's/DVD-A would blow your mind deang!

Y'all see the clown R2D2 guy with the $450 buy-it-now Scott items. What a jerk. He probably sells $hitty copies of manuals too.

Keith

Keith,

I can take care of the Amp and maybe help the tuner out as long as it doesn't need the FM/MPX section alligned. Alligning the FM is a art that require equipment I don't have there are only a handfull of techs in the country that do them. Keith didn't you already have a tuner ?

Craig

That's right Craig. I have a 350 tuner. I guess now I'll have FM quad!

I've got the link you gave to the guy that does the tuner work. I'll check with him and another guy for repairs.

I've got tuner alignment procedures here somewhere. May tinker with it myself and then send it off to be 'repaired'.2.gif

Keith

----------------

On 12/12/2002 12:39:12 AM AndyKub wrote:

Well Gang, I hate to say this, but the condition of a unit should be reflected in its value. I would rather pay $500 for something very close to mint rather than this:
. Something will always be worth whatever someone else is willing to pay for it. Sure, as a buyer, you want to get the best possible deal you can, but the rarity of an amp in mint condition creates a demand (I am assuming these are indeed rare in this condition). In the world of coin collecting, coins are rated by professionals as to their condition. Value depends on the population of a particular coin in a particular condition, and at times, a condition rated just one level higher can can command a much higher value.

Now if there are many amps in this condition, then forget what I just said!

I wish my 222D had lettering as nice as the 299...but I'm happy with the sound...just working on minimizing/eliminating that hum.

----------------

Andy,

The 299D's are indeed rare in MS65 and above, but nowhere near as hard to come by as the 299S, even in XF/AU. I heard of a guy who found a 299CC in his Grampa's garage. Lucky bastard!

Keith,

Mike Zuccaro in San Diego (858-271-8294) is supposed to be a tuner God. I'll be sending him my Fisher 500c after Christmas. He says he can have it back to me in a few weeks! I'll report when I do get it back...

fini