It's 3 o'clock in the morning and I'm eating crow...

Deang

Max,

Actually, neither speaker 'wears' on me. I can listen to the RF7's at rip snorting volumes indefinitely. Ever heard the RF-7's with tubes?

Incidently, have you asked yourself why folks are willing to pay twice as much as you had decided to take for them?

Jeff,

You still have those things?

Hello all,

Glad to hear it Dean.

isn't it nice when you discover something you really like.

I did an extensive a/b last night with my Jolida 202.

I switched back and forth betwen my RF7s and my Fortes.

Quite an experience.

Both sets completely opened up for me.

Smooth, liquidy top ends and deep, punchy bass.

I personally like the depth of the Fortes midrange, but the RF7 has it beat in dynamics. Hands down.

The Forte was much more involving.

Like a 5th row speaker.

The RF7 was portraying a sound reminisent of large concert stacks, yet wasn't fatiguing to listen to.

Definately more a front row speaker.

There were many differences.

The main factor involved for me was getting the right mix of tubes rolled into my Jolida.

I've never liked the Jolida on the 7s until I found that right mix.

Hell, it's like a different amp now.

Talk about some punch.

Whoever thinks this amp has no a$$ has never got the right mix of tubes, I guess. LOL

Now, every Klipsch Ive hooked to it sounds like gold.

Next, I plan on doing an A/B on the Jolida with my Quartets and Forte IIs.

I love this hobby.....most of the time.9.gif

Cheers,

John.

Excellent job nailing it down. Yeah, that sums it up pretty good. I think the RF-7 definitely has that 'you are there' quality, whether one finds this 'more' or 'less' involving is a just matter of preference. For me, it will just be a matter of what I feel like hearing at the time.

As far as tubes and 'punch' -- that's the first thing that blew me away about tubes. I think the bass is much more realistic sounding than any solid state I've heard. The bass just seems to grab the whole room. With solid state, it seems like the note is gone before you have a chance to actually enjoy it.

Craig,

You have LaScala's don't you? And you turned it all the way up? Wow. Do you live out in the countryside? :)

I haven't done that with mine yet, I'd be afraid to, somebody would call the cops and I wouldn't be able to hear them at the door. :)

That Scott 222C I got is really nice, I'm enjoying listening to it out in the garage while I'm working on the Eico.

Incidentally, I've bypassed about everything in the Eico, no balance, no tone controls, no channel combining switch. Sounds pretty good but I picked up a nasty hum, need to do something with the loose ends of the first half of the 12AU7's (which were eliminated), I expect. Haven't figured out exactly what yet, my Ph.D EE buddy is out of town, can't get hold of him. I think he's in Europe.

Also will need to do something with the vol control, it's oversensitive now. Probably change it from a 250K to a 100K, fix that with any luck.

Tom

I think folks would be very surprised at how many Cornwalls, LaScalas, and K-horns I have inquired about off of eBay and AudiogoN over the last 6 months.

"Will not ship."

"No boxes."

It gets old.

By time the time you get everything figured out -- a $2000 pair of K-horns is pushing $3K.

You have mail.

Tom,

Sure I turn it all the way up !! My system is in the basement and sound doesn't travel out of there to the outdoors so I get no complaints !! Although if I do it to long my ears might suffer permanent damage !! I usually only do this to get a point across to freinds when showing off. 95% of the time my amp stays below 50% of its output.

Craig

Oh and please don't butcher the Scott circuit or if you do don't tell me about it !!

Nah, the Scott is not to be touched aside from rectifier, tubes and caps. The Eico is not exactly "butchered", all I did was unsolder a half dozen wires. I can put it back in 10 minutes. And that's exactly what will happen if I can't get help to figure what to do about the 12AU7. Gad, I may have to post over on the tube asylum. Maybe I'll post a topic here first.

Tom

HDBRbuilder,

I checked the fuses,looked at the inside(which was spotless), checked the pots(which also seem perfect), and I have been careful about powering it on with the speakers switched off and such.

Some friends of mine and I went to "Rock and Roll Heaven" a used record store here in orlando this afternoon after our test(yep a test on a saturday).

I picked up some 45's pretty cheap.

Creedence Clearwater Revival, A "travelin band", B "who'll stop the rain"

Red Hot Chili Peppers, "soul to squeeze"

My friends were floored by the sound, "dude thats so freakin warm and fat sounding" was just one of the comments.

I am very happy with this amp, It looks like it was never used.

It is definately a bass machine,very rich and deep sounding without being boomy.

Peace, Josh

Actually I have listened to the FM tuner section, it sounds great but not as good as vinyl(of course).

Now for the odd part: I haven't yet hooked up an antanna to the FM section.

I'm still getting good reception though, easily as good as on my Yamaha receiver.

The little foldout antanna on the back is just AM isn't it??

I'm using a generic sony turntable with the default cartridge(certainly good enough for my college student budget).

Peace, Josh

Josh,

Yes, that fold-out antenna is the AM one. If you are already getting good reception without an FM antenna, then all you probably need is a cheapo "T-type" wire one attached...about a buck or so at Radio Shack...it will clean up the reception quite a bit...and make it easier to eliminate drift when listening to stations. You can use your Mute adjustment on the rear to fine tune the unit for reception when the FM muting switch is engaged...it will eliminate signal crossover from more distant stations...and tighten-up the point at which you get good FM stereo when adjusting it in! Enjoy!

Thanks Keith,

Actually that is the CCR CD I've been listening to.

It is a great CD, I just love their sound.

I think it's kind of interesting how many of CCR's songs were political in nature during times of unrest, a little different from the pop tunes of today.

Peace, Josh