Top 10 action DVDs

Music_Smurf

Hi! I am new to home theater. I would like to get your opinion on the top 10 action DVDs based on visual and sound effects. Please feel free to re-list any movie that another person has listed. I plan on getting the top 10 that gets the most votes.

I just bought, "The Fast and the Furious," on the recommendation of Home Theater magazine's Buyer's Guide 2003. They have it as their #1 pick. After watching the movie, all I can say is, WOW! I love the sound effects.

Thank you for taking your valuable time to read my post.1.gif

Action...hmmm I never know what genres things go in, so I might step outside of the lines here...These are in no particular order.

~Gladiator -Awesome surround sound, great video

~Lord of the Rings -Another great one (I have the newer large box set, Im not sure what the differences are on the other edition)

~Terminator 2 -Ultimate edition - One of the best THX intros ever! (IMHO)

~The Rock -Criteron Collection

~Star Wars episode I/II -Ok these aren't really action...but kinda? Im not sure...But grrrreeeaaat sound

~Saving Private Ryan

~Seven - Smart and good sound:)

~Braveheart

~One of the following -We were Soldiers-Platoon-apocalypse now

~The Matrix -kind of a duh, but Action isnt my forte:)

-mkl

Black Hawk Down has non-stop action until the end, it is a very good war title to consider. The sound effects are very nice.

Also, I have the Band of Brothers DVD which is a very nice HBO war mini-series. The sound effects in that were very immersive, the DTS track is awesome!

1. Saving private ryan and 2. Gladiator are really great I love them :)

I'd prefer 3.Black Hawk Down rather than We Were Soldier(Did you ever see a soldier can stand and speak a loud during the whole battle? :) )

4. The Lord Of The Rings is also really great

5. Brotherhood of The Wolf(I hoped I know French :P )

6. Braveheart: Another great one

7. The Rock: Still getting dvd after watched 10times++ from LD/TV shows

8. The Matrix(the stunt coordinator rules out :) )

9. The Tuxedo(Not really pure action but fun :) )

10. Speed(It could be a action movie I think? )

• 3 weeks later...

Matrix, armageddon, pearl harbour, behind enemy lines, ronin, the sum of all fears, blackhawk down, terminator 1 and 2, and collateral damage. Not in any particular order, just what came to mind. Edit: pearl harbour is not really a full blown action movie, but has really good battle scenes after you get through the love story part.

I think there have been many great suggestions above.

U571 is a great subwoofer demo during the depth charging scene...creeks in the pipes from the pressure and of course the boooommmmms!

The recent James Bond 007 movies have good action scenes in the openings and of course I like the title sequencies.

BAND OF BROTHERS is one of the best DVD sets for vicariously experiencing a full tour of combat. You experience humorous chatter, see the mundane activities, and of course bursts of horror. There is a lot of quiet dialog and then abruptly guns will fire or even louder are the bombs which start raining down on you. The dynamics are awesome! Not just an action film this series becomes consuming. Reading the book first makes it more enjoyable because you grasp more meaning from minor scenes or statements.

The sound of bullets flying through the air and landing in flesh is stirring.

I too like many of the movies already listed...Apocolpse Now Redux; Gladiator; Star Wars I/II; Private Ryan--I like Band of Bros better; T2; Matrix

• 3 weeks later...

Others, not mentioned:

True Lies & Total Recall

12 Monkeys

Titanic

The Abyss

Alien 1 & 2

Gone in 60 Seconds

Laura Croft, Tomb Raider

Stargate

Academy nominees for sound in the last ten years include films not already mentioned:

Moulin Rouge

The Patriot

The Perfect Storm

Cast Away

The Green Mile

The Insider

Shakespeare in Love

The Thin Red Line

The Mask of Zorro

Air Force One

Nicholas Cages horrible Con Air

Contact, with Jody Foster

The great L.A. Confidential

Independence Day!

Evita

The English Patient

Twister

Apollo 13

Batman Forever

The wonderful Crimson Tide

Waterworld

The Shawshank Redemption

Legends of the Fall

Harrison Fords Clear and Present Danger

Forrest Gump

Geronimo: An American Legend

Cliffhanger

Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones in The Fugitive

The incredible Schindler's List

The amazing Jurassic Park

16.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Top Gun has some very good scenes and appealing music -- but it annoys the heck out of me that some of the "Hollywood" characters are presented as characteristic of anyone remotely associated with our armed forces. Mavrick should have been peeling potatoes in Levenworth for leaving his wing man, from the very start. Don't get me started. F-14s are a major star.

While not "action" I like Back to the Future very much for it's recreation of the 1950s, intricate time travel plot, and attention to detail. Note, e.g., how Twin Pines Mall, changed to Lone Pine Mall, as a result of the episode at the Peabody ranch. Good music, too. You can't go wrong with this one. It is too much fun to be classified.

On the other end, is the priceless, Days of Heaven. Not an action flick, but I love it. A love triangle in a beautiful wheat field. The cinematography is more than excellent by any standards. In some sequences, it gets hypnotic. This is pure genius in the episodes when things have "flow" from the excellent editing and intercutting of scenes. And the music fits well. Perhaps a chick flick.

The original Lethal Weapon qualifies as an action flick. It is a classic, cop -- buddy, set up. A good one. There are some very dark undertones in Martin Rigg's pathology. I suspect the screen play got watered down.

For fun, again, The Terminator, is always a winner. T2, is a worthy sequel. T2 should run for office. Whoops, he is.

Gil

ccsakura, I own 7 of the top ten DVDs you mentioned .I consider them in my top 20. I did want to mention your observation about We Were Soldiers that I also own. I noticed the same thing about the dialog during the battle scenes being a bit unreal. LOL. I thought I was the only one that noticed.Maybe it's just the mix they decided to use for the center sound. It sounds good in Surround-EX.