want to build a speaker "switcher"

tigerwoodKhorns

Can anyone help me?

I have a tube amp on the way. I am currently using a surround receiver. What I want to do is be able to hook both amps to a switch that I can choose sources from. Ie, use my main speakers with the tube amp for music and the same speakers with the surround receiver for movies as the front left and right.

Does anyone know if these switches are available (or if someone makes a pre-made unit)?

Thanks,

Chris

I wondered the same thing and discovered that Niles audio makes some.

One of theirs is a rackmount unit that can switch between 2 amps and 4 pairs of speakers I think.

The only problem is that it costs about $34014.gif

The other on that I saw that Niles makes is a wall switch that performs A/B operation between 2 amps and one pair of speakers.

This one is about $40 and handles something like 350 watts per side(not a problem with tose tubes).

Since this on is a wall switch you would have to mount it in an electrical box(about $5 or so from Home depot),you could have the wires to the amps going in one of the conduit holes and the wires to the speakers coming out the other. You could even make a nice wooden box to put it in.

I hope this helps.

Peace, Josh

Here's a link to a previous discussion on source switching. It contains some links to available products.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=28485&forumID=68&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={C721A495-DC7D-4A97-B448-CE2D079560FB}

During the 80's I used a Niles DPS-1 A-B Amplifier/Speaker Selector to accomplish the same thing. I no longer use it, as I try to minimize the introduction of switching devices and additionl cable runs between amps/receivers and speakers. You would still want to ensure that you did not have both source components on at the same time, even with a swith box in the chain.

Chris,

I think once you do get my LK-48 you really won't really want the speaker switcher anyway as the Sound is quite addicting.

I"m listening to Trans Siberian Orchestra right now with the family out X-mas shopping and I'm wondering if I made the right decision to sell it as the sound with Klipschorns is amazing.

Oh well-if I do want another Scott I just wait about 3 months as Dean will want something new by then anyway! 2.gif just kiddin' Dean

Jeff

----------------

On 12/17/2002 8:03:20 PM NOS440 wrote:

Jeff,

don't worry I'll have a few more for sale soon. So you sold that baby after all the hard work I did for you !! You and Dean are like whirl winds !!

Craig
----------------

Craig,

Yes, Chris Vero wanted to try tubes with his K-horns and I needed to sell a couple things to "clean up" a bit.I was very happy with the sound and can almost guarantee that this will not be my last tube amp.

I really appreciate the fine work you did on this amp and I'm sure Chris will love the sound.

Jeff

"I do want to build them myself.  can anyone reccommend a good switch (good audio grade contacts, etc)  Or maybe an online supplier?"

We are not talking about that much current here just a couple of amps at the very most, if even anywhere near that. I am not so sure the term "good audio grade contacts" defines anything in a switch. I think you could design something with an economical source of DPDT swtiches with the appropriate ratings.

-c7s

All of the above will result in a degradation of the sound, especially the 2 channel where it will be more crucial. These kinds of things for convenience never make for high quality audio so be prepared for compromise. To some, it is more critical than others. There are ways to accomplish the above but not none to not bring lower quality, especially given the nature of the duties of these switches.

kh

My room will be crowded if I add another speaker set. Heresys may fit. What I really want to do is use the K-horns for both duties if possible. (tube music and SS theater) If the switch is really going to degrade the tube sound (by the way, thanks jeff) I could get ANOTHER set of heresys, of maybe a forte or chorous without crowding the room. Is it really worth it to shell out for another set of speakers (this will be 4 sets in this room).

Chris

----------------

On 12/17/2002 8:09:13 PM NOS440 wrote:

ShapeShifter,

Stil have that switch box ? want to sell it ?
----------------

Sorry about the delay, I signed off early last evening. Yea, still have the little Niles Switch Box. I hadn't thought of selling it, but if think you want it, just shoot me an email to discuss.

Niles%20DPS_1.jpg

Kelly, although I appreciate your input and commentaries, I get damn tired of you 'rating' everything that comes down the pike. Have you tried yourself each and every item that you chastise. What do you know of build quality of the item I spoke of. Do you think that no one realizes that it is never good to insert an additional item into the audio chain if unnecessary? Give me a break.

Keith

And I wonder about this type of response from you which serves no purpose but to annoy, especially since I actually looked at the piece you suggested and opted not to specify it in a vain attempt to avoid stirring shallow waters.

I've dealt with dividing signals up in custom installations in the past, not to mention the 8 years as the Engineer at a college radio station where "Creative solutions" were the norm. When I ran a home studio in the 80s in a little farm house, I was constantly battling the need for more connections vs the goal of KISS. While I would opt for a switching box like this in a non-critical amplification for the average guy that wants this type of setup for the flexibility, for someone with something as highly resolving as the Khorns with tubes and good sources, this strikes me as a compromise I wouldnt be willing to take, most notably in the 2 channel domain.

switch.jpg

Any switching device that is going to divide the signal at this point in the chain involving more autoformers etc is going to bring the performance of something like the Klipschorns/tube combo down a grade. And your solution is problematic in several ways. One, he doesn't need two sets of speakers capability. Second, that thing is filled with a host of other mess that is even WORSE. Now you have ONE MORE volume control to go through? ONE VOLUME CONTROL is bad enough but another is adding insult to injury. Autoformer? More switching? And add to that, the absolutely mediocre connectors you are supposed to employ via that unit which precludes a host of other options. This is not for something like dedicated 2 Channel listening with performance in mind. I personally would not opt for this solution as convenience of this nature is not worth the degradation. I wouldn't mind it so much for HT, but for two channel it would be a big problem to me. Others don't care on this. I wouldn't even mention it to the average loon wanting to hear all the speakers in his house for he wouldn't care NOR notice such distinctions. But for this forum and in trying to erect a SERIOUS attempt at 2 channel, boxes like the one you specified just DON'T belong. And since not a soul was even mentioning this as a compromise, I tossed my input, something I shouldn't be chastised for.

Still, there arent many solutions for this guy besides separating the systems or adding yet another pair of speakers to an already overpopulated room (or moving the Khorn crossovers and changing speakers wires from each amp). I was just giving yet another perspective, and one that hadnt been tossed. Barring differing types of preamp/amp options, there arent many otions. But I realize that some might want/need a switch device like this. I just couldnt bring myself to employ it in my main two channel rig. In my view, quality over convenience wins every time. I would want to hear ALL the source/tube amp/and Khorns had to offer.

kh