Jeff Korneff 6BQ5 amp question

edster00

Neat little amp. A bit of an ugly duckling. Not that bad a price though and Jeff usually does good work. I dont think it could get to 8w though. Did someone say that about it? I would save up for the Jean-Francois 45 although this might be fun to play on the Heresy in your office.

korneff_6bq5.jpg

I remember the amp above as I saved it from a Korneff page from the owner, but have never seen the one in the ad. This is the only 6BQ5 amp I have seen as he really specializes in triode SET like the 45. I sure think Jean-Francois' amps are a bit more appealing to look at! But Jeff K. does nice work.

kh

I am definitely looking at Jean-Francois' 45 amp(s). Of course I have to pay a premium as Jean-Francois' design is for a stereo amp not mono-blocks, but that the hell, I want mono-blocks!

I was leaning toward Jeff Korneff 45's but when I saw the photos of the Jean-Francois amp I changed my mind. Aesthetics mean a lot to me.

If I try the 6BQ5 amp it would be for the learning experience. The seller told me it was 6-8 wpc but he may have fudged a bit not knowing what speakers I have and wanting to make a sale.

I just dont see how there is any way remotely possible that 6BQ5 single-ended amp will reach 8w. Think back on the Decware ad. But the iron on that JK amp looks better than the ZEN amp offerings.

I actually have not talked to Jean-Francois about 45 monos. He has actually made more monoblocks than stereo units but it does up the cost. I am not sure what he would want for the 45 monos. Actually, you usually do see 45 SET amps in stereo for some reason. Most of the examples I have saved on my HD are stereo amps, possibly because a large majority are DIY.

Gordon Rankin of Wavelength Audio was one of the first to bring 45 monoblocks (convertable 45/2A3) to the mainstream market. But his amps come in at about $5000-6000 depending on whether you get Parafeed outputs. Jean-Francois' amps are a great deal.

kh

Jean-Francois did give me a quote on a pair of 45 monos. I am going to see if I can listen to a 45 amp before I take the plunge and place an order. I know I'm gonna get the dang thing, it's just a matter of time now.

One saving grace is that due to his backlog I will have a few months after I order to save up for them. If you keep hawking his products he'll be be backlogged a year or more :) !

The seller of the 6BQ5 amp is probably inflating the power a bit...he doesn't know I don't need more than 6 or so watts. Do you think it will do 6?

I posted JK's homepage or whatever, and most the pics shown were stereo configurations, I don't recall seeing a pair of monoblocks.

Of course these photos in this page were pretty dated.

8 watts output from a SE pentode 6BQ5? okay, is this 4 watts per side?

I wonder if the JK SE 6BQ5 amp is pentode or triode connected?

Either way, I dought if you can get 4 watts out of one pentode connected 6BQ5, and I really dought triode connected.

The pic you posted is different from the one Edster posted on the Audiogon site.

The OPT's must be underneath the unit for auction/sale.

The pic you posted does have some monster output transformers.

But I don't think it would contribute to getting more output out of a 6BQ5, at least not in the linear aspect.

Who knows, I could be all sorts of WRONG with this post.

Ed,

I know you said you are not going to sell the Moondogs, but if you do I want first crack at them. I am on record Dean.

Also how do you like the silver audio IC's? I just changed my whole system out with Alpha Core (IC's and speaker wire). The silver made a nice upgrade to MY system with the tubes and CD player (Heart 6000). If I ever get my Rega back I'll probably have to change everything back out.

Danny

I saw somewhere that they could be driven to give like 6 watts but you would be running them at the limit and thus have shorter life for those output tubes. what characteristic are you expecting to hear in these tubes versus the 45 or 2A3 or 300Bs for that matter? or is it just curiousity? tony

• 1 year later...

I have no experience with the 6BQ5 amp.. this was Jeff's earlier design. I have a pair of Klipschorns /alk's. The 2a3 amps are extremely popular with the Khorns.... but a recurring thread at the audioasylum keeps mentioning about 45 based amps being even more stunning than the more powerful 2a3's. Almost everyone that owns a 2a3 and tries a 45 is an instant convert..... well after reading a million posts. Jeff Korneff's 45 are always described as a very fine amp, and many owners that have swopped back and forth end up owning another Korneff.... So I have taken the plunge and ordered one of his newest amps, with the full set of NOS tubes. Jeff says that the 45 is the only amp he listens to now. I can hardly wait... I own an upgraded Golden Tube Audio 300B se which is same amp that is highly acclaimed by Author Salvatore at www.high-endaudio.com. I should be fun comparing are really good 300B with the highly recommended Korneff 45.

I met a guy at the local used record shop that owns a Korneff 45, he said that when the needle drops the performers step right into the living room the level of realism is well 'Spooky'.

1.8 watts and only 2 weeks to go. ohweebaby

----------------

On 4/16/2004 11:39:03 AM Ho_Leung wrote:

I met a guy at the local used record shop that owns a Korneff 45, he said that when the needle drops the performers step right into the living room the level of realism is well 'Spooky'.

----------------

Spooky is a good word for it, especially if the performers who step into your room are dead now.

Hey Edster00!

I bought that amp from you about a year ago. I didn't put it and you together until now and I don't think I ever got back to you with my impressions so here goes... Its a very nice-sounding amp and it really came to life when I played around with the tubes. I tried it without a preamp but found the sound a little subdued. The Erato really put some punch into it and the amp became effortless and has nice pace. I wanted to set it up in my office but it never happened so I've loaned it to a friend who's using it with a pr of CWs. He really likes it better than his 300b amp and won't give it back. If I had to guess, I'd say that Jeff's amp puts out about 4-6 watts. It doesn't have as big a sound as a 300b but its more detailed and I like the snap it has in the bass. Its warmer and less detailed than a 2A3 but I think its a great match with speakers like CWs and Heresys.

Thanks again for the opportunity - its a sweet amp. - Bryan