Trying to find that Klipsch Reference Series 7 review

Kain

I'm not sure, but I think it was justin_tx_16 who posted some detailed Klipsch Reference Series 7 speaker review. He scanned it from a magazine, not sure which magazine though.

Does anyone still have it? I would like to read it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Here I will write a review for you 1.gif

Klipsch RF7's weapons or speakers? Giant ghetto blasta or audiophile wannabe me too?

Gutentag fellow Klipschers,my "new" RF7's arrived today the boxes are quite large and heavy.After unpacking I noticed a vivid smell coming out of one of the speaker cabinets.Upon inspection I removed a rotten egg placed by BobGee.The egg had the inscription "FROM BOBBY GEE to YOU EVIL EAR"!

Ha talk about a thank you for purchasing Klipsch.The said egg was quite delicious,after a few seconds in the microwave.

A few minutes of wresting and a few fancy moves,voila.The speakers are in position,time to break them in,and my trusty sledgehammer back to work.A few swings on the rigid copper colored cones. 6.gif These are NOT SOLID COPPER!? Anyway they now make a funny scraping sound with each bass note.

The sound is most agressive,a pitbul dog is tamed in comparison.My ears start to bleed,pumping the volume more.Dont feel too good,I think the egg BobbyGee signed is working on my digestive system now. 14.gif

Blues sounds like Metallica on Prozac,classical now has bite and punch!Yeah the RF7's are great LOUD speakers.The loudest speakers for your dollar,short of Pro stage monsters or used K-Horns.

Award winning reviewer and critic,

TheEAR

2.gif

The Wizard of BOSE (covering up with the curtain): The Great BOSE has spoken. Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain....the...Great...er...BOSE has spoken !!!

Dorothy (pulling aside the curtain and reprimanding): Who are you?

The Wizard: (stuttering) I, I, I am the Great and Powerful Wizard of BOSE.

Dorothy: You are! I don't believe you.

The Wizard: I'm afraid it's true. There's no other Wizard except me.

Scarecrow: You humbug.

Tin Man: Yeah.

The Wizard: Yes. That's exactly so. I'm a humbug.

Dorothy: (scolding) Oh, you're a very bad man!

The Wizard (sadly): Oh, no, my dear, I...I'm a very good marketing man - I'm just a very bad Wizard.

Scarecrow (angrily): What about the heart that you promised Tin Man, and the courage that you promised Cowardly Lion...

Lion: And Scarecrow's brain?

The Wizard: You have all those already.

Everyone: Well, what about Dorothy?

The Wizard: Dorothy, if you become my customer Ill take you for a ride simply by using hot air.

Ooops! .The wizard of BOSE takes off without warning. Dorothy is stranded in Oz,she fails to ascend in the uncontrollable balloon,leaving the Wizard of BOSE to sail up and fly away without her.

The Wizard: This is a highly irregular procedure - absolutely unprecedented. It'll ruin my exit and Ill lose my commission.

Dorothy pleads: "Don't go without me," but the mortal Wizard of BOSE can only wave goodbye as he floats away - powerless to control his hot air balloon.

The Wizard: "I can't come back. I don't know how it works."

Dorothy cries: "Oh, now I'll never get the home theater I was promised"

LOL! diplomas...I got diplomas, I got some of those sheepish skins...Never did hang'em on the wall, and create my own personal "Wall O'Shame" though..My first diploma was the school of hard knocks...from which I graduated Summa Cum-Pletely Loaded Ala Mode, with chopped nuts...Then I went onto Gradual School, and then dismissed the thought of Eventual School. All in all it was a worthwhile experience...Nothing like HIGHER Education!

There are two published reviews of the Reference 7 speakers that I know of. The first is in Sound & Vision, May 2002 pp. 48-50. The second review is in Home Theater, August 2002, pp. 54-56.

I do not have a scanner so I can't put them up on the forum.

Both reviews were written by people that do not fully understand horn speakers. The frequency response curves are useful. S&V is a room respose curve while HT is close miked.

Sensitivty was reported by S&V as about 3 db lower than Klipsch's numbers. The RSW-15 could "only" put out 97 db at 20 Hz. The max on the 15 was 114.5 at 50 Hz. The RSW 15 was rated using a corner in a 7500 cu ft room.

Impedance was 6 Ohms on the RF-7s and RS-7s, with 10 Ohms on the RC-7. Minimum impedance was 2.8 Ohms on the mains, 3.1 on the center and 3.6 on the surrounds per S&V.

Hope that this helps.

Bill

Dean et al,

The prior impedance data points were from S&V, but there was no curve.

The following data points are all from Home Theater so they are a bit different.

The RF-7 had a minimum impedence of 3.53 Ohms at 9.9 KHz with a phase angle of -68.48 degrees at 74 Hz. Sensitivty was 95 db from 500 Hz to 2 KHz allegedly.

The RC-7 had a minimum impedance of 3.35 Ohms at 176 Hz with a phase angle of -62.00 degrees at 98 Hz. Sensativity was reported as 94.5 db from 500 Hz to 2 KHz.

The RS-7 had a minimum impedance of 3.56 Ohms at 216 Hz with a phase angle of -66.92 degrees at 111 Hz. Sensativity averaged 92 db from 500 Hz to 2 KHz.

Hope this helps.

Bill

PS- THe S&V review was very favorable for what it is worth, but Home Theater was more critical. Neither reviewer demonstrated much knowlege of the strong point of horns other than high sensitivity and direct radiations patterns. B.