Pictures of your vintage audio gear.

henry4841

I'm using a Kenwood KT-7500 tuner in my main system. Recapped, aligned and cleaned. I had to do a repair involving a diode as well. Kenwood tuners are highly rated today. Very desirable. Also have a few Kenwood receivers. Kenwoods of the era were well built. Been considering an HK 300B myself. 

• Thanks 1

Did someone say "Yamaha?"  I've always been partial to the silver faces and elegant knobs/levers of the '70s and '80s hifi gear.  I've posted these pics in a couple of other past threads but am more than happy to repost for those who may have missed them earlier. 

My CA-1000 was purchased along with my 'Scalas back in '76 and is still in service today albeit with a repair here and there through the years.

IMG_0245.thumb.JPG.4d0da850f84998cafff318f6ce761e04.JPG

The CA-2010 was bought 2nd hand several years ago, restored, and powers the Klipsch "R" towers at the back of my listening room.

IMG_0243.thumb.JPG.558821f2051f77abc73af9f2c951fc3f.JPG

I had been using a Carver C-4000 Pre to control the two Yam amps...

IMG_0016.thumb.JPG.6a5bcbca54bd49df3494aee3aec62536.JPG

... but now use the VTA SP-14 to do the signal work.IMG_0358.thumb.JPG.9a6395166ca45603830939a4f7b8b6d9.JPG

The last piece of "vintage" gear I own is sadly relegated to storage or forum articles as internet streaming has made the tuner rather obsolete.  On top of the Pioneer TX is a Bic BeamBox indoor antenna - anybody remember those ?!?

IMG_0014.thumb.JPG.c89b717693a9fa0894c75bbc9dacfef0.JPG

And that's my "show-n-tell."  Thanks for reading - happy listening and Happy New Year !!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, henry4841 said:

I'm using a Kenwood KT-7500 tuner in my main system. Recapped, aligned and cleaned. I had to do a repair involving a diode as well. Kenwood tuners are highly rated today. Very desirable. Also have a few Kenwood receivers. Kenwoods of the era were well built. Been considering an HK 300B myself. 

I bought a KA5500 a couple of years ago for my daughter. Someone had replaced the original speaker clips with RCA plugs and done a pretty weird job of wiring them, but I was able to figure it out and made her custom speaker wired to work. It's a sweet little amp.

• Like 2

One more honorable mention of one of the best vintage receivers I've ever owned or heard, all around Great.....The power, smooth but detailed presentation is really something. It may be that this unit was new until 5 years ago that gives it that better than usual sound. On KLF 30's, at 11 oclock on the volume the ceiling could be in jeopardy.

20211124_155252.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fish said:

I have a Kenwood KR 7050 and it's got the best receiver in it I've ever owned. I get 60 miles with a T wire and 3/4 on the meter. It has a feature that allows for limiting freq to the width you are listening to.

20210911_150211 (2).jpg

Kenwood was noted for their shortwave radios during this time period and passed technology on to their tuners. At least that is what my memory tells me. Hook one of these up to a decent outside antennae and you will be surprised at the number of channels you will receive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A finished restoration project, a Sherwood S-7100A. Replaced all the electrolytic caps minus 1, the main PS filter capacitor which tested in spec with low ESR so from my experience it has a lot more life left in it. I have a new replacement I ordered but saw no need in replacing it. Checked alignment, cleaned all controls and gave it a thorough cleaning. The case is plywood with walnut veneer that is in really good shape but looked dry so I stained it and it came out looking great for it's age. Sounds really good with measured power of 22 watts at clipping 1000hz. Nice addition to my collection. 

P1030941.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Looks gorgeous!

On 11/28/2021 at 8:29 AM, henry4841 said:

We have a picture of your tube gear thread so not to discriminate I started this thread. The gear from the 70's just have a look you do not find in modern equipment. I did what I would call a complete restoration of this Sony receiver. Replaced all the electrolytic capacitors except one that checked fine that I did not have in stock. Forgive me but I did not want to combine 2 to make the correct value. Cleaned the pots and aligned. Did some repairs to the beautiful walnut case and it now sits in my bedroom. I had a Sony receiver in the 70's and in my opinion was one of the best looking ones ever made.  

P1030926.JPG

P1030927.JPG

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 12:05 PM, henry4841 said:

A finished restoration project, a Sherwood S-7100A. Replaced all the electrolytic caps minus 1, the main PS filter capacitor which tested in spec with low ESR so from my experience it has a lot more life left in it. I have a new replacement I ordered but saw no need in replacing it. Checked alignment, cleaned all controls and gave it a thorough cleaning. The case is plywood with walnut veneer that is in really good shape but looked dry so I stained it and it came out looking great for it's age. Sounds really good with measured power of 22 watts at clipping 1000hz. Nice addition to my collection. 

P1030941.JPG

I have not heard a 7100a since I was a teenager, and they were still almost new....An older guy, Cummins worker with money bought one and we listened to some of the Greatest music ever recorded on it.

4 hours ago, brooklynsound said:

t I would call a complete restoration of this Sony receiver. Replaced all the electrolytic capacitors except one that checked fine that I did not have in stock. Forgive me but I did not want to combine 2 to make the correct value. Cleaned the pots and aligned. Did some repairs to the beautiful walnut case and it now sits in my bedroom.

Thats a beauty for sure. I really like that vent look. I missed out recently on a similar Sony, not quite so purdy as that though. Sony had some hits during that era. They still pull a rabbit out occasionally.