Tube Preamp recommendations - Pics

mobile homeless

----------------

On 10/11/2003 10:47:55 AM mobile homeless wrote:

When I had Chris' Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP here, I thought the Cary was a bit quieter, a bit more extended with slam in the bottom, and very refined. Where the Pantheon overtook the Cary was in the removal of the last vestiges of electronic sound (though subtle), bringing in this more harmonically rich take. Another way of describing the difference? IT let the music BREATHE more. The Cary was tight and powerful, with no grain but the Pantheon was more relaxed, a bit more loose, but allowd the notes to ebb and flow, sounding more natural. It had some noise issues but damn if it wasnt the most natural sounding pre I have had in my system.

----------------

I think Kelly describes the Pantheon sound very, very well. I could only compare it to the AE-3, which was a very nice little pre-amp in its own right, but the Pantheon really adds another dimension to music's wonder. It is a large, well-articulated and MUSICAL stage that the AE-3 couldn't quite get to.

The noise issues, while present during its visit to Kelly's house, are no longer present. We did a little tweaking of the input resistance on the Horus as well to dial the pot range into my normal listening range.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those wondering, see Chris' PANTHEON 6SN7 SRPP below. Tube rectified with twin chokes and the excellent Jensen Copper Oils (big beasts). The unit was built with attention to detail in the construction and hand delivered and set-up by Jean-Francois (along with the amps). Chris owes me his next born for that connection! heh... This preamp (as of now) is no longer being made but that little HK 6SN7 SRPP is similar and C-H-E-A-P.

pantheon_6sn7.jpg

Please see last post on preceeding page for Chris' comments on his preamp

I personally am tickled pink with my new preamp the AVA T7:

fetvalec.gif

(This is the model with the tone controls, mine does not have them).

The phono stage and my TD125 are making me positively giddy lately. I had no idea. Tube amps made the sound 3D, the vinyl makes it 4D, 5D, color, smello-vision, tactile.

The biggest sleeper of them all, IMHO.

I have not heard the T7 or any of the AVA preamps. For clarification, I will say that this is a very different take then all the tube preamps listed above, especially the 6SN7 SRPP with tube rectification (or even more so, Dean's fully tube HK 6SN7).

The AVA Transcendence Seven EC is actually a hybrid preamp MOSFET buffer/driver circuitry combined with the 12AT7 and 12AX7 in phono. It's supposed to be a very dynamic sounding preamp and costs around $1700 with phono stage.

My personal guess on the matter is that it wouldnt be as smooth or harmonically rich as the 6SN7 SRPP with tube regulation but might be more like a smoother SS option. One thing for sure, those that have T7, do LIKE them. I have not read too many negative comments about them on the forums really besides it heading more towards the solid state side of the spectrum, something I would imagine. AGAIN, this is opinion based on past listening experience but NOT with this pre in my home.

I have been moving towards getting rid of ANY solid state/diode devices in my preamp, the other route from this pre. I am hoping my next pre to have full tube regulation, rectification, and amplification. For me, with SET amps, this is the way I seem to prefer based on stuff passing through here.

No doubt, the T7 is probably a VERY clean and dynamic pre though, something stated in about every comment via AA. I imagine it might be a good combo in Randy's system with Khorns and the more rich 300B. I know Cut-Throat loves his as well. It's yet another take on the preamp choice.

LINK: AVA Transcendence Seven EC

kh

It's your volume control. It's actually a STEPPED ATTENUATOR with one resistor per volume setting. It's usually a high price accessory but the better ones have different resistors ie Holco or Vishay. A stepped attenuator is actually more transparent on the whole than a pot. I have a TKD in my Cary that was $$$$.

That unit does not have oil coupling caps. It is A HELL OF A LOT for the money. A few parts subs and I imagine this thing would really scare some competition.

kh

Fidel Castro? I do respect the fact he never once got down on his knees, but he is a murderous dictator whose time has LONG passed. As long as a steady stream of Soviet cash was flowing in, Castro was able to provide a level of service, medical care and education that the rest of Latin America only dreamed of. But since that source of easy cash dried up, it's been a FAR different story. When I visited there in 1998 I saw poverty and decay that really shocked me, even though I was WELL prepared. The Cuban people are among the warmest and freindliest I have ever been around and they deserve MUCH better leadership than Fidel now provides. Speak your mind? Go to prison! Nice.

I have a very good pal whose family was tossed out of Cuba by Fidel in 1963. They were tocacco farmers and Fidel's men came by one day and told them that their farm was now the property of "the people" and that they had 3 days to get off the land which had been in their family since the 1880's. My friend's pop was offered a position in the Cuban tobacco/cigar industry but was also offered a one-way ticket to Miami with his family. The whole family was allowed to bring only ONE suitcase. Nice.

----------------

On 10/12/2003 1:17:11 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Fidel Castro? I do respect the fact he never once got down on his knees, but he is a murderous dictator whose time has LONG passed. As long as a steady stream of Soviet cash was flowing in, Castro was able to provide a level of service, medical care and education that the rest of Latin America only dreamed of. But since that source of easy cash dried up, it's been a FAR different story. When I visited there in 1998 I saw poverty and decay that really shocked me, even though I was WELL prepared. The Cuban people are among the warmest and freindliest I have ever been around and they deserve MUCH better leadership than Fidel now provides. Speak your mind? Go to prison! Nice.

I have a very good pal whose family was tossed out of Cuba by Fidel in 1963. They were tocacco farmers and Fidel's men came by one day and told them that their farm was now the property of "the people" and that they had 3 days to get off the land which had been in their family since the 1880's. My friend's pop was offered a position in the Cuban tobacco/cigar industry but was also offered a one-way ticket to Miami with his family. The whole family was allowed to bring only ONE suitcase. Nice.

----------------

Pretty accurate analysis!

The Fidel line which is tongue in cheek. Can you vote for him? Nope...

Here is an interesting read.

Black mixed with white gives grey

Dean, you're the expert seeing how you actually own the 6SN7 SRPP line stage pre...the components inside; are they of good quality and is the soldering slung inside decent, or is it shoddy and flakey? You recommend no mods, so I assume the innards are reliable (minus tube rolling). Does Kelly's suggestions to replace some caps a justifiable one soundwise, or would I be wasting my time doing so while using a SS amp?

Do you have any more shots of that preamp, especially closeups and of its rearend? Does it come with a sensible owners manual that's well translated? And is the shipping cost from Hong Kong outrageous? How long did it take to arrive to your front doorstep? And is there a brand/model name for it and/or a website on the manufacturer?

Inquiring minds want to know...Thanks!

Jim, I think that's about all the shots it needs as the rear end does nothing but handle the power. See the RCA jacks on the side and the volume and selector source switch on the top front? I think he has EVERY angle covered.

As for the mods, I think that preamp is fine as is with perhaps the coupling caps being the first option. Still, for your needs, the piece is fine as is in my view. I was mainly talking about getting the ultimate out of it.

I think it's probably one of the best deals around in a cheap preamp although there are a few other options. Here's one more larger view to see jacks and chassis.

http://www.progressive-engineering.com/klipsch/hk_6sn7_srpp_lg3.jpg

kh