EV Patrician (18" Klipsch)

Dave Seitz

I picked up plans to build a set of the early 60s EV Patricians. They used an 18" woofer rates for 18watts rms. I have a set of NOS CTS 18" woofers. Anyone know about how low they will go with a less efficient woofer? I should add these are the Klipsch K Horn corner cabinet design. That was used with the permission of Klipsch at the time.

Edited by Dave Seitz
Clarification

• Dave Seitz changed the title to EV Patrician (18" Klipsch)
  • 2 weeks later...

That's a tough, tough slog, depending on expectations/goals and the resources/skills available.  If you're inclined to do it anyway, you'll end-up (for other frequencies) with something else of your own creation as the remaining components have become scarce.  It is highly likely that your woofer will not be optimal for the horn design (expectations re-surface, here).  That-said, it's not entirely impossible to get something passable, but integrating that bit with the remaining frequencies (and reproducing them in the first place) might be more expensive and demanding than you wish to sign-up for.  If you're still out there, what are your thoughts?  

Oh, and welcome :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dave Seitz said:

Oh as far as wood working skills, yeah I do lack in equipment and skills. But I did marry into a family with brother-in-laws who are excellent at it. 

Stick around if you want to. A subwoofer builder can give you some tips that are familiar with 

the 18 inch woofer. There is some figuring to do.

So, the woofer is all you have at the moment?

Welcome to Dave Seitz! 

I've known this character for 30+ years, sold him those CTS 18W54C "Loose Goose" woofers way back when!

They have a very floppy treated cloth surround, extremely low free-air resonance around 20 Hz (!)

Maybe someone here has more info on how to best use these in a K-horn type enclosure?

Off-topic, but I noticed an interesting reference to "Beranek's Law" in that same article: 

"It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced that he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion."
-L. L. Beranek, Acoustics, McGraw-Hill, 1954, p. 208. 

• Like 3

So the 600 liter enclosure would be about 21.5 cubic feet if I did the math correctly. If ported it can get any low end without the need for huge amps. With some modifications to that box design I could fit it in the lower living room behind the couch. Now this is becoming a more feasible idea. Just one woofer in the cabinet to gain ultrasounding earthquake low end. A single mono amp of 100 watts would be about all since my receiver has a sub crossover built in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dave Seitz said:

So the 600 liter enclosure would be about 21.5 cubic feet if I did the math correctly. If ported it can get any low end without the need for huge amps. With some modifications to that box design I could fit it in the lower living room behind the couch. Now this is becoming a more feasible idea. Just one woofer in the cabinet to gain ultrasounding earthquake low end. A single mono amp of 100 watts would be about all since my receiver has a sub crossover built in.

Thinking that is about right. Others will know...

A more involved and complicated build a Khorn bass bin. If you have the information, may want to run it by your family members who do or can do involved woodworking. Edgar*will let you know if your math is right on a box size.

Guess would be nice behind a couch if wife can handle it.