Klipschorns:One more time

Pland

Hi,

As some of you will recall,my last Khorn purchase ended in an Ebay fraud,with the loss of 1900.00.I'm determined to buy a pair again,but would ask your advice on the following:

1.What is the best date range for manufacture,and why?Crossover issues can be resolved,but your opinions on drivers,etc. are important.

2.What wear issues are important given the above(driver surrounds,etc.)?

In short,I may as well take my time and go for broke in terms finding the best of the best.Circumstances are requiring me to sell some equipment,and cost won't be a serious object.I'm moving to smaller digs,and just don't have room for more than one system in the near future.

I'm going to sell my SET preamp and amp,and am going to offer it to you guys at a good price.It consists of a WE 91a clone by Lee Roitberg,with silver wiring,premium components throughout,and NOS driver tubes.The tubes are :

1.EH 300b

2.TJ 300b mesh plates

3.Sophia premium mesh plates with gold pins and ceramic base.

4.RCA 83 rectifier

5.mullard 6SL7

This amp has about 1000.00 worth of tubes,and 1200.00 of parts content.The circuit is the original design by WE for the 300b tube,and is considered the ultimate for this tube.The commercial cost for this amp would be in the 4K range,and it is the best 300b amp I've ever heard.I've raved to Kelly about this amp for two years.It has a mercury vapor rectifier tube,and is dead silent with HE horn speakers.

The Preamp is a 6080 tube based design,with an OC83 gas regulator tube,teflon caps,silver wiring,Alps controls.This is the most impressive line stage I've heard under 3k.

The combination is silent,layered,and heartbreaking.

I'll sell the combo for 1800.00,and if for some reason you don't like it,I'll refund your money.One of you is going to get very lucky(ask Kelly).

If interested,email off line.

Best,

Pat Landrum

Hi,

None whatsoever.The user ID was a total fraud,the Email adress was bogus and untraceable via one of the ID hiding programs.I filed charges locally,with the FBI online,and they all indicated I was a ****ed monkey.Western Union won't release the ID photos presented when funds were disbursed without a subpoena,Ebay won't pursue anything other than showing negative feedback.In short ,Ebay is purely seller oriented with no effective recourse for a victimized buyer.

Pat

I had the same experience but on a smaller scale with a bogus seller and supposed NOS Telefunken 12ax7. The crook used someone else's email address to obtain his eBay ID. I, along with several other victims, went through the same routine you have experienced with no recourse except eBay telling us to go to the FBI.

This particular crook, after too many negative feedback complaints, was made an unregistered user, but then within a week was back on eBay with a new ID selling the same fakes with the same bogus Photo in his ad. This time I helped bust him and he more or less disappeared after that. Probably not though.. He probably is just better hidden. He may have been the same person who frauded you! When this happens you realize how lame eBay can be.

Here is the scam. The punk makes note of some auctions for a sure thing hot seller (NOS Telefunkens, Perfect Khorns, etc.). He copies the photos for his ad or comes up with the images from somewhere. Then he has to have some kind of slippery method of illusive ID so he can slip away. He knows that eBay is an easy scam because they can barely do anything but post your negative feedback, like big deal if you are a crook scam con artist.

Maybe the thief does a few trivial legitimate sales in order to build up a small feedback record. Then they go for the big scam. Maybe they do a bunch of ripoffs for a couple of weeks, knowing they will have to bail out after that and start over with a different ID. Instead of a gun they are using a computer.

Ebay needs to have better iron clad confirmation of seller's identity with confirmed up to date addresses and phone numbers.

If you have an address (supposedly obtainable from eBay by request) , it is possible, sometimes, to get the local law enforcement to knock on their doors. I actually did this recently when i suspected fraud again. I got the local police to go to the address and knock on the door of the suspected seller. This first required some major detective work on my part in order to get the address.

The seller was totally freaked.

As it turned out it was a series of coincidences that this seller had dismantled his email, changed his address, and forgot to confirm delivery tracking of the item which was a week late when I moved into action. The item actually was delivered to me the very same day that I had put this surveillance into operation. Finally the freaked seller called and we sorted things out and he explained why this all happened.

I was amazed that the local law enforcement was so cooperative. They explained that this fraud and criminal activity was nothing new, only now it was perpetrated all over the world by people at the end of a wire. They were now getting more and more calls from eBay fraud victims.

You should really check out a seller before committing any serious money to a won item. If they will not talk to you on the telephone so you can ask questions and hear their voice, then forget about it. Sometimes you can do this before the auction ends, but not necessarily. It is then a bit awkward after you won, but you need to protect yourself. A shallow feedback history or shades can also be suspicious.

The major detective work that I spoke of is a combination of techniques learned from movies and TV, but mostly Rockford and Columbo. Things like calling other people in their town who have the same last name, pretending you are a buddy who lost his phone number, etc. Sometimes you will find you are talking to the punks mother.This kind of thing. Just following every potential lead hoping you can uncover some information that will lead you closer to the crook. Sometimes you might get lucky, or maybe not. You can try contacting other eBay buyers of that seller to find out what they know also. The more you think about it, the more techniques you will come up with.

If you can find Angel, you can send him to go looking for you.....

-c7s

hmmm, I wonder if those EV Particians are the real deal or just photos from some old magazine......

By the way, a year or so ago, I guy was pretending to sell a legitimate Diebenkorn painting on eBay but had faked it himself. The winner bid nearly 140K. The seller, a lawyer, as a result now disbarred, was busted for this. He had gotten away with this scam a couple of times already. It was in the newspapers. I am not sure if he did jail time. I will have to look this up.

FAKE PAINTING ON EBAY check this out!

MORE JUICY EBAY FRAUD INFO

"Well I'm sure this won't make you feel that much better but there is fraud insurance provided by ebay. I think the max payback is $200 though better than nothing I guess."

First eBay makes you wait 30 days before you can do anything. If you got over 90 days they also will not do anything. If anyone has a negative feedback you are disqualified. If the ciminal has a negative feedback, you were supposed to have known better. If you have a negative, they won't honor this fraud insurance, even if the negative feedback was given to you by the crook himself in retaliation for the negative feedback you gave him. Ebay TOTALLY SUCKS. Just try to have a conversation with eBay about any of this and see what happens!

c7s

Pat, first, I'm sorry you got stripped of that dough ... but it sounds like you're past it and looking forward which is great.

Having a pair and reading posts about them for the past few years, I think the 1975-1979 range is good hunting. Beware the Atlas "honker" which I have (occasional problem which is fixed with a "p-trap" or a pair of ALKs) but they are some nice years. At least I derive that as the general consensus.

If you have a particularly strong balance sheet, I'd wait for a pair of Jubilees, which will probably come in at $12-15K a pair, need not be corner-placed, and have a sensitivity of about 106 db.

Pat, very sorry to read about your ebay experience - if I had the $ I would love to get your amps.

Thanks everybody for relating your experiences. Until now I've been lucky with my ebay purchases, but I suddenly realize that it could have turned out differently. What we need is a classified section so that we can exchange gear without worrying!

Wolfram

Wolfram, your suggestion about having a classified section on the Forum was enthusiastically pursued a year or so ago. It seemed to have hit a brick wall when the suggestion was reviewed by Klipsch attorneys... Like may others on this Forum, I have bought many thousands of dollars worth of Klipsch speakers from Forum members without a serious problem. You will find that, in the main, Forum members tend to take care of one another.

Quite often, Forum members will post items for sale here before going to Ebay and having a higher reserve than the Forum offered price. It would be neat if we could agree upon a single area to post items for sale. My vote would probably be in Odds & Mods since it tends to move more slowly... and, thus, for sale ads should stay on top longer. It would also help if "Sale posts" would begin with the word "Sale" followed by the standard nomenclature... that would make searches easier.

Here's hoping your comment springs more interest in developing a standard "for sale" protocol on this Forum. -HornED

I actually did go thru the fraud claim process about 2 years ago I was lucky and only ended up losing the $25 deductable. I actaully don't think the rules are exactly as Clipped stated I will have to look.

Well I looked and the after 30 and before 60 is correct and I personally don't think that's all that bad and understand why they put these limits on. They would be swimming in complaints from people that are worried because there Item hasn't arrived in 3 days.

The feedback like I thought is not correct at all. Your seller has to have a "zero feedback rating" not "Zero Negative feedback" Theres a difference.

Here how feedback works.

For each positive comment your overall feedback score will go up one point. For each negative comment your score will go down one point. Neutral comments do not effect your score one way or another.

As far as ebay fraud is concerned, looks like perhaps they have recently done something to make fraud a bit more difficult. My son opened an Ebay selling account today and they required him to provide a verifiable credit card in his name and a verifiable bank account in his name. Looks like that there are no alternatives to providing both of those things if you want a selling account. Still very little required for a buying account. Just an email address really for buying.

Bob

Pat,

Real sorry to hear about the ebay fraud. This is not the first time I've heard of this happening.

Here is a link that has some interesting info. A guy who got scammed on ebay would not give up and finally ended up nailing the bastard. Perhaps some of the info contained within might help someone in the future.

http://www.remodern.com/caught.html

This story eventually made it to Connie Chung who interviewed the youngster a week or two ago.

- Tim

" The feedback like I thought is not correct at all. Your seller has to have a "zero feedback rating" not  "Zero Negative feedback" Theres a difference. "

Craig,

I am not sure I understand this. So in order for a seller to have zero negative feedback, he only needs to have as many positives as negatives? So a seller who has 500 feedbacks and 250 are positive and 250 are negative complaints, that seller is still in good standing because the net value is zero? How could someone with 50% negative feedback still be in good standing? Does this make sense? How could you do business with someone who had net negative feedback, you would think they would be suspended from doing business.

-c7s

Clipped,

I'm pretty sure that most normal minded people who see that someone had 250 negative feedback out of 500 would not deal with the seller and if they still did deal with them its there problem !!

Besides ebay also monitors complaints and suspends sellers. I always look at the feedback of the sellers and actually read there complaints. I never buy from anyone that doesn't have a selling background of the Item type I happen to be buying. The big scam on ebay is pretty easy to detect. The seller usually have all positive feedback of 10 to 30 deals but they all tend to be small value items over a few months time (mostly buying and not selling) then all the sudden there selling some big ticket Item.

I passed on this item yesterday because it looked like the seller could be a scammer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15000&item=1947015062&rd=1