Heresies still for sale/ pics

Deang

They're not that bad, just the flapping sound the woofer makes and some damn screeching sound when you turn them up -- aren't they supposed to sound that way?9.gif

Actually, I'll never live down dogging Heritage. I guess I get the Idiot's Choice Award. They are a wonderful sounding speaker. The Cornwalls should be fun.

Dean, I know you'll love the Cornwalls, esp. their mobility for positioning. I don't think you have the corners for Khorns, so this -- gasp -- might be your last trade !?*&???

Actually, you'd really enjoy the Belle Klipsch as a comprimise between the Khorn and the Cornwall.

Scratch that ... Jury, ignore those statements.

Chris, those really are some exraordinary Cornwalls you have. I hope we are still trading mails when you finally get a dedicated 2 channel listening room so I can share that experience.

Dean, the only reason those Heresy are still hanging about is the Lord and Christmas confusion, not necessarily in that order... heh.

kh

Wonder where this dean, tester guy, lives?

Wonder if someone can give a review of the differences in the sound of Belle's and Klipschorns.

Wonder if anyone noticed the Cornwalls for sale in the Great Northwest ($575).

Keith

Keith, are we being rhetorical here? If not, I'll jump into the murky water.

I may get some of this wrong, so forgive my journalist error up front. I'm sure someone will pile on and correct me.

The Belles have similar components to the Klipschorn but due to a shallower depth (~18.5"), the midrange horn is shortened. The Klipschorn is the real deal. The Klipschorn also has the trihedral deal going, meaning a very long bass horn. The Belle's is much shorter. Comparing bass/overall sound between the two is difficult because the cabinet volumes are so dramatically different.

That being said, I think the Belle is probably one of the most aesthetic designs PWK ever cranked out. I know many on this board are smitten with them sound-wise as well. They are simply beautiful. With good amplification, the bass is exceptional although a bit short of the Klipschorn. To be honest, I never put one through the paces like I did with the Cornwall or Heresy. I'm using mine as a center channel for our HT set-up, so you now know it's never been tested.

The good thing about the Belle is placement ... You're not bound to corners, you can move them out from the wall, room dimensions are not so critical, and the sound is just a step down from the Klipschorn which needs a GREAT room (read: remodel) to be optimal.

In this house, had I not found a killer deal on a pair of Khorns, I'd have a pair of Cornwalls or Belles in the 2-channel living room. The CW or Belle would image a lot better than the Khorns for the above stated reasons, but I knew there would be another home in the future and just needed to snag these in an opportunistic way. The NEXT room will be laid out in Fibonacci multiples :)

Nope, serious question Chris R. And thanks for your reply. Since I haven't heard either of the two speakers in question, I was wondering if there might be as much difference in sound as in say, Heresy and Cornwall.

I need a pair of speakers to use with my tube amp/turntable (2-channel only). I have several subs, but I want a speaker that will not require the use of a sub. Don't have good corners and aesthetics is a concern to me.

Chris (twkh), I'll get back to you on the Cornwalls.

Keith

If you're going straight 2-ch, I'd go with either the CW or the Belle. It's a real toss-up, depending on your bent. Personally, the Cornwall is a very tough speaker to beat ... a very strong value. If you can score a pair for less than $750, you're WAY ahead of the curve. It's hard to find a single Belle for less than $700, or $1400 a pair. I think the marginal revenue curve is declining (for me) at that point, but that's for you to judge!

Good luck :)

Understand completely Chris. Initially I thought I would buy a pair of Heresy's and be done with it. But recently the price of Heresy's have been sneaking into Cornwall territory. The CW's seem to be the answer. Thanks for your comments.

Keith

Wait till you figure those shipping charges.

A set of Heresies can land on your front step for a little over $500. By the time you get done with the Cornwalls, it will be double that amount.

I really think the only downside with the Heresies is that to get good low end output, they really have to be on the floor -- which is really not the best place for them if you want really good imaging. They do sound excellent though.

I wanted to try Heritage Klipsch again with SET amplification but had to wait for a pair to show up within driving distance. The wait was a good 13 months or so but a nice, taken care of pair 77 Cornwalls came up three hours away at $650 asking price. $600 wasnt far behind. I even enjoyed the drive. I consider it one of the all-time best deals I ever achieved besides the free stuff for trade. Of course, the pair of Welborne Labs 2A3 Monoblocks I have with MagneQuest DS-025 outputs, Jensen Copper Foil Oils, Audio Note Tantalum Resistors, Cardas wire, and Solen/Cerafine/Black Gate at $950 wasnt bad either. Number ONE deal? My original EICO HF-81 at $100.

kh