My Jazz Play list�.lately

jazman

As Mike S mentioned, I have not had much of a life lately. I've only had three off days since early November. So since I don't go anywhere, nor do anything other than work and act as driver for my sons hockey schedule, I regularly dig into my Jazz archives and listen to vinyl. Here's what's been on the turntable lately. I hope someone will find something on this list to make an evening of great listening.

"The Thelonious Monk Memorial Album", Thelonious Monk, Classic Performances from His Prestige and Riverside Years, Milestone

"Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane", Thelonious Monk/John Coltranne, Jazzland

"Thelonious Monk Quartet plus Two At The Blackhawk", Riverside

"The Monmartre Collection Vol.1", Dexter Gordon, Black Lion

"Great Encounters", Dexter Gordon, Columbia

"Homecoming" Dexter Gordon Live at the Village Vanguard, Dexter Gordon, Columbia

"The Hawk Flies", Coleman Hawkins, Milestones

"Tribute to Charlie Parker, New York session", Jackie McLean, Jazz Line(RCA-France)

"Miles Smiles", Miles Davis Quintet, Columbia

"Cannonball Adderley Sextet, Jazz Workshop Revisited", Cannonball Adderley, Riverside

"Finally-", Betty Carter, Roulette

"Look What I Got", Betty Carter, Verve,

"Black Codes (From The Underground)", Wynton Marsalis, Columbia

Since my records are filed by artist's names, you can see I can get stuck in one artist's area for a while.

Of particular interest with this list is the "Great Encounters" LP of Dexter Gordon. One side contains two of the almost last recorded works of the great Eddie Jefferson. The other side features Dexter being joined by Johnny Griffin at the 1978 Ann Arbor Jazz Festival on Johnny's first visit to the US since he had left 16 years earlier.

"The Hawk Flies" is an old 2 record collection of work by Coleman Hawkins on the Milestone label compiled from recordings of the Forties and Fifties.

Betty Carter is one of my favorite female vocalist with a unique style and voice. If you haven't heard her before, "Look What I Got" really jams.

For all you Jazz fans, I hope this will extend your play lists.

Klipsch out.

Nice list, Edmond. Nice stuff. Good to see you back and take a day off!

I was listening to some good jazz this eve after running through a few albums from a San Francisco group called The Thinking Fellers Union Local 282. This is a very eclectic band that is amazing live and excellent on vinyl as well. I ran through several LPs via the Progressive Engineering table and it sounded great.

Then for dinner, I opted for someone I rarely play anymore: Dave Brubeck. This album was entitled, "RE-UNION" with Dave Brubeck, Paul Desmond, and Dave Van Kriedt. It's nothing too special vinyl wise as it's a Fantasy OJC series. But damn if it didnt sound GREAT via the 2A3 monos and the Cornwalls! I have all sorts of options via vinyl from obscure indie racket, to early 70s punk, to late 90s electronica.... But nothing is made for Klipsch Heritage like VINYL - TUBES and GREAT JAZZ. Acoustic jazz via Klipsch/tubes/analog is just amazing.

Damn the sound was good. Dinner just sat getting cold.

kh

Mobile,

I only wish I had the day off! New Years Day is my next hope for a day off. I did not have to prepare a dinner tonight so I'm spending a little time on line. If I did not take the time to play music, I'd be completely looney by now. The quest to make all this music sound wonderful is what brought me to this place. Here I am a year later, and I'm about to launch a 300B ship via Pat's 300B SET amp/pre combo. But it's all about the MUSIC, and Jazz vinyl is still king here in my household.

BTW, I find many of the OJC series to be pretty good recordings, especially because the originals are almost impossible to find in decent condition these days. Better an OJC than none.

Klipsch out.

a jazz session is not a jazz session without herbie hancock to me, lol. I got the "Herbie Hancock Box" for christmas, which is a clear little box, with 4 cd's and about 50-60 tracks of his more famous recordings. I'm hoping be able to sit down one day and listen to all of them.

Here's what I listened to over the weekend:

Duke Pearson "Sweet Honey Bee" (Blue Note)

Jackie McLean "Swing, Swang, Swingin'" (Blue Note)

Helen Merrill "Case Forte" (Trio-Japan)

Art Pepper "So In Love" (Artist's House)

Grant Green "Grantstand" (Blue Note)

Ornette Coleman/Charlie Haden "Soapsuds, Soapsuds" (Artists House)

Von Freeman "Serenade and Blues" (Nessa)

Lou Donaldson "Here 'Tis" (Blue Note)

Chet Baker "Chet Baker Sings" (Pacific Jazz)

Stan Levey "This Time the Drums on Me" (Bethlehem)

Stan Levey "Grand Stan" (Bethlehem)

Milcho Leviev "Blues for the Fisherman" (Mole Jazz)

--A full weekend to be sure. My system sounds so freaking good to me right now I can barely STAND it!!!

Some nice recs in here. Allan always has something interesting to throw in the pot and this last poster should write more often!

I have been spinning my Progressive Engineering table non-stop over the last few weeks and besides the racket that only one or two would appreciate here, I'll toss out some of my own selections, almost all recommended, some MUST haves....:

Cannonball Adderley wth Bill Evans: Know what I mean? (Riverside)

Eric Dolphy : In Europe Vol I (Prestige)

Ornette Coleman: Shape of Things to Come (Atlantic)

Chet Baker: In New York (Riverside)

Chet Baker: Touch of Your Lips (Steeplechase)

Sonny Rollins: The Sound of Sonny (Riverside)

Sonny Rollins: A Niught At the Village Vanguard (Blue Note)

Archie Shepp: Four for Trane (Impulse)

Pepper Adams: The Master (Muse)

Phil Woods: Integrity Live (Red Record VPA)

Charles Mingus: RIGHT NOW Live at the Jazz Workshop (Fantasy)

Albert Ayler Trio: Spiritual Unity (BASE)

Johnny Hodges and his Orchestra: Castle Rock (Verve)

Gene Ammons: Boss Tenor (Prestige)

Thelonius Monk w/Sonny Rollins: Brilliant Corners (Riverside)

Miles Davis & John Coltrane: Live in Stockholm 1960 (Dragon)

Bill Evans Trio: Portrait in Jazz (Riverside)

Charles Mingus: Town Hall Concert (Fantasy)

Bill Evans Trio: Everybody Digs Bill Evans (Riverside)

John Coltrane w/ Red Garland Trio: Traneing In (Prestige)

Oliver Nelson: More Blues and the Abstract Truth (Impulse)

Duke Ellington/Johnny Hodges: Blues Summit (Verve)

John Coltrane: Lush Life (Prestige)

John Lewis: Grand Encounter - 2 degrees East 3 degrees West (World Pacific)

Zoot Sims/Red Mitchell/Rune Gustafsson: In a Sentimental Mood (Pablo)

Count Basie: Basie Jam (Pablo)

Vinyl - tubes - Horns is addiction, especially with the good jazz...cant get much better!

kh

Pepper Adams!

My favorite baritone sax man. Love him on Lee Morgan's "The Cooker" where he more than holds his own with the then-18 year old phenom. Also on all of those late-1950's Donald Byrd records.

And with Duke Pearson (one of my favorite composer/leaders from the 1960's and now forgotten). I only have a couple of LPs with Adams as a leader, a Mode LP called "The Pepper Adams Quintet" with the GREAT piano man Carl Perkins and a real late one with Tommy Flanagan--can't think of the name or label right now.

As far as current baritone players--what about James Carter!

He can seemingly play ALL reeds, but he is really a killer on the baritone. Do you have any of his CDs?

Alan,

Love Carter - his 'Chasin' the Gypsy' CD is one of favorites of the past several years. He's also great on Cyrus Chestnut's '02 release 'Soul Food'. And does some great work on Steve Turre's 'T N T'.

Had the pleasure of seeing him live a couple of years ago when he was with the 'Gypsy' band. Mighty impressive on all reeds. That show also got me going on the great guitarist, Romero Lubambo. If you haven't done so, you might want to check out his Trio da Paz recordings (Trio da Paz also teams up with Kenny Barron on a late 2002 release entitled 'Canta Brasil' - highly recommended!).

With such a collection of jazz buffs at hand, may I squeeze in a question? Years ago I bought a Dave Brubeck Quartet LP. One of the cuts featured a nasty time signature for Joe Morello to beat out on drums. It was so difficult that with the last beat Morello let out a nervous guffaw that was not edited out. I have bought so many Brubeck sides in my life that my senior citizen memory bank is overdrawn in the Brubeck account! My question is what was the touch drum solo tune and is it available on CD? Thanks for any insights, guys and gals. =HornEd

PS: I'm hoping to start a Jazzy New Year with more old musical ducks in a row.

HornEd,

I think the answer to your question is the LP "Time Further Out", the song is Unsquare Dance.

I'm really pleased to see the Jazz listeners listing things I can add to my shopping list. Allan always pulls a surprise, ala Milcho Leviev "Blues for the Fisherman". BTW you made me pull out my copy of "The Cooker". Mobile always makes me wish I had much more Sonny Rollins, but I'll pull out "The Shape of Jazz to Come" and probably many others from his list in the days to come including some works by "Jughead" Ammons. Thankfully I have recordings by most of the artists mentioned by everyone and will be inspired to attempt to play almost every LP in my collection within the next two years. So as the Blue Note LP "FreeForm" by Donald Bird is playing,(the group includes Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Billy Higgins) I'll just say.........

Klipsch out.

Jazman:

Wow! I remember seeing Milcho playing with the Don Ellis Orchestra when I was in high school. He was awesome, but then, I was enamored with the whole group, as I was in the jazz band and we were playing several of the DEO charts. I still have several of them in my music folders, for those times when I just want to put on the record and play along.

Brings back very pleasant memories.

Happy and Prosperous 2003 to everyone!!!

Jobman

There were some interesting titles listed previously. Many I will have to keep an eye out in the future. The past weeks I've pulled these out and given them some additional playing time.

Kenny Dorham - Afro-Cuban (Blue Note)

Sarah Vaughan - Sarah Vaughan At Mr. Kelly's (Recorded live in Chicago) (Mercury)

Kenny Burrell - Cool Cookin' (Cadet)

Duke Pearson - Introducing Duke Pearson's Big Band (Blue Note)

Art Farmer - Listen To Art Farmer and The Orchestra (Mercury)

Dave Brubeck Quintet - Newport 1958 (Columbia)

Jackie McLean - Capuchin Swing (Blue Note)

Sonny Sitt w/ Booker Ervin & Don Patterson - Soul People (Prestige)

Wes Montgomery - Smokin' At The Half Note, w/Winton Kelly (Verve)

McCoy Tyner - Nights of Ballard and Blues (Impulse)

The Incredible Jimmy Smith - Got My MoJo Workin' (Verve) Jimmy sings and grunts with gusto!

Lou Donaldson - Alligator Bogaloo (Blue Note)

Sonny Clark (Special appearance by Ike Quebeck) - Leapin' and Lopin'

Don Patterson - Brothers-4 (w/Sonny Stitt, Grant Green & Billy James) (Prestige)

Wynton Kelly - Wynton Kelly (Vee Jay Jazz) An extremely talented pianist, Wynton has a great rhythm section on this session.

Wes Montgomery - Vol. 2 The Best of Wes Montgomery (Verve) Released after Wes' death, contains tracks of previous hits.

Holiday Wishes to All!

Wes