Digital Cable vs. Digital Satellite

Kain

My personal fav is satellite. The cable we had only offered a few digital channels of very nice clear picture, however, every channel with our satellite has nice clear images.

Again, that's just the area where I am at. Don't know anything about anyone elses situation.

i have cable, digital cable, and the only thing that looks decent is HDTV and the like 10 max digital channels. dare i say this but i think our antennae gets a better picture of local stations!

so i think we are going to switch to the dish network. how many hdtv channels will we get? three rooms need the receiver, how much will that cost?

Justin,

Dish Net currently has HDHBO-E, HDSHO-E, HDDiscovery, and one HD Pay Per Veiw. You need two satelites and a Dish 6000 receiver. If you don't have tan HD tuner in your TV you can upgrade the 6000 with a tuner cartridge for an extra $150. Their is no extra cost to get HBO and SHO in HD, you just must subscribe to normal hbo and showtime packages. I believe it cost 5 bucks a month for hd discovery and I think you need some kind of special converter. Pay per veiws are what they are.

As far as digital cable vs dish. Both should be of equal quality as they are passing the same digital signal to you. As far as I know only Hbo and SHowtime are broadcasting HD channels. Cable may give you more HD pay per views, don't know. Best HD really though is what you can get over the air. The picture quality of local channels is outstanding. In orlando all of the local channels broadcast in HD. I think I get like 10 or 11 channels in HD. The network channels all have dual HD chjannels. One has the normal channel and the other will have local radar, or current news banner, one has like 4 picture in pictures with radar, traffic cam, regular programming and then a banner with up to the date news. Its pretty cool.

EJ 1.gif

I am SOOO jealous! PIP tv stations?! That is a wonderful idea.

Right now we get Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS in HDTV. I think also all HBO's and Showtimes and HDNet (which we don't subscribe to...) and soon Warner Bros (The WB).

Our only local stations that are digital are CBS during news broadcasts and all day TXCN (Texas Cable News).

My friend has a dish and a 65" 4:3 non HD MITS big screen projection TV. He also has the dish network. Down the street my other friend has the same exact TV and dish receiver. His picture is so much better than the 46 and 55 inch HDTV's we have with our digital cable... grrr

We have digital cable and I like it a lot. I prefer the user interface of my particular digital cable system over the dish interfaces that I have seen. We just received a letter from the cable company informing us that they would be introducing HD cable this year. I'm not sure if that means our box will have a HD tuner built-in or if we'll need to pay extra for one that does. Anyone know?

Thanks for the input. 1.gif

Right now we have digital satellite. Recently, they released a new digital cable system throughout the UAE. My father wants to get that because it has all the channels of digital satellite but at a cheaper price.

I'll second what ProDJ wrote about reliability. My brother-in-law has problems with reception anytime it rains hard or snows. I guess snow isn't a problem in the UAE, how about rain? Regardless, I've been very happy with the digital cable, it also allowed us to bundle a cable modem and phone service through the same company.