Cornwall 3 vs Cornwall 4 impression

On 5/7/2022 at 7:16 AM, Chief bonehead said:

All the new series IV speakers are absolutely beautiful looking speakers compared to the older models, but the sound is another story.

Yes it is but only those who have heard them side by side should comment on their SOUND. This is especially true when they are experienced by a Group of experienced Klipsch owners of older models vs. new, like Roy did in Hope.

Without exception, everyone that hear the Cornwall IV vs. the III said it was a huge improvement. Different ports, woofer location, new mid horn, new mid driver, new tweeter horn, new tweeter driver, and totally different balancing network.

In name of facts and personal integrity in making claims. I tend to believe the opinions of a dozen people who were there as opposed to just words on the web. Beside, the term SYNERGY comes to mind here, and it 'aint about the Lumber!

• 1 year later...

Hi Flevoman

I see this discussion endet in 2022 but this is the best I fount about Cornwall 3 and 4.

So unfortunately here is no a result which can help me for my decision. I know, different hearing and so on of different people.

I am in the beginning of this hobby and look more than two years for speakers to create a stereo system. I heard different speakers at dealers (B&W, Fischer & Fischer, Elac, sonus faber and other). Nothing was for me so much better than my 600€ speakers I have now. So extra costs of 6000€ for new speakers was not a win.
So last year I heard the first time Klipsch (Forte 4) and thought this is much different and better as the other speakers I heard. Some weeks ago I heard some Cornwall 4. And I think they are great. But is this version real better than the Cornwall 3 (this version I didn’t hear)? So I am not sure if the extra cost sounds better.

I see you changed from the 3 to the 4. Also that you take your time to test and to realize what is the best for you. 
I see also you changed from Cornwall to LaScala, but this is not the speaker I am interested.

Would you share again, after 1 or 2 years, why you change from 3 to 4?

Greetings

@Von Hoellert 

I recognize your position. There is so much information to be found on the internet, but very little when it comes to CW3 vs CW4. Try La Scala vs AL-5; there's almost nothing to be found there either.

But, you ask why I went from CW3 to CW4? For the same reason I went from Heresy 2 to Chorus, then to CW3, CW4, and now to AL-5. Each speaker sounded good and brought me a lot of joy. However, the desire for just a bit better always lingered.

So, the reason was never dissatisfaction, but always the drive for something slightly better, wanting to be more engaged with the music. And honestly, it's only now with the AL-5 that I've truly found what I was looking for – the feeling of live / realness .

But even now, the itch begins again...
"Would the Jubilee fit in my room???"
🙄

Thank for your informations. You are searching for the best. I understand.

What will you preference in following situation:

cornwall 3 for 2400€ or Cornwall 4 for 8000€. Is the 4 much better for this 5600€ extra?

No wonder, I am located in Germany.

Phew... now you're asking me for an answer that I'll base on who I am, my financial situation, and the fact that I listen to my music for several hours daily. Rationally, I can't in any way assign a value to the difference between the CW3 and CW4. For me (having a slightly more generous budget and always aiming for better), the additional cost for the CW4 was worth it. But this answer is 85% leaning on emotional thinking. You could buy a small used car for almost 6k. Looking at it rationally, no... that's a bit absurd.

However, in this hobby, you unfortunately have to adjust your wishes a bit with rational thinking. It's a pity you mention this now. Two weeks ago, there were a few CW4 for sale in the Netherlands at a great price. And in such cases, I would say, yes... go for it. Because at that point, you won't likely lose much if you decide to sell them.

I'm afraid my answer won't be much help. Sorry. But I hope, based on the experiences shared here, you can make a decision.

2 hours ago, Von Hoellert said:

Thank for your informations. You are searching for the best. I understand.

What will you preference in following situation:

cornwall 3 for 2400€ or Cornwall 4 for 8000€. Is the 4 much better for this 5600€ extra?

No wonder, I am located in Germany.

Germany has many large cities in close succession. Why don't you go to a dealer and listen to the CW4? It may not be the sound in your home, but many other interested parties don't have the luxury of hearing a Klipsch speaker within a two-hour drive. Of course, you can't compare it directly with the CW3. But as Flevoman says, there are always good offers if you are patient. If you like the CW4 and you've bought it for a good price, you're unlikely to lose any money if you sell it again.

@KT88

I heard the 4 at a dealer and it sounds good. But I don’t think that 8000 are a good price.

When I look to the second hand marked and see the 3 for 2400, will this the better deal? On my trip back to home from the dealer I thought, is the 4 so much better that I will pay 5600 more?

I didn’t hear the 3 in live, so I don’t now.

And when I read this Thread, Flevoman wrote in the beginning that the 4 is not much better but a bit different as the 3.

So belive me, I looking more than 12 Month for a good deal for the 4. But I didn’t see any offers for that version in Germany. The 3 offered 3 or 4 times in this 12 month.

So I will try to hear a 3. Only chance to make my decision.

@Flevoman

Were do you look for offers in the Netherlands and what are good prices?

40 minutes ago, Von Hoellert said:

@KT88

I heard the 4 at a dealer and it sounds good. But I don’t think that 8000 are a good price.

When I look to the second hand marked and see the 3 for 2400, will this the better deal?  

the Cornwall III are definitely a  good deal if the speakers are in mint condition , otherwise pass   , and dont wait too long because someone else may grab the deal before you do 

41 minutes ago, Von Hoellert said:

@KT88

When I look to the second hand marked and see the 3 for 2400, will this the better deal? On my trip back to home from the dealer I thought, is the 4 so much better that I will pay 5600 more?

I didn’t hear the 3 in live, so I don’t now.

And when I read this Thread, Flevoman wrote in the beginning that the 4 is not much better but a bit different as the 3.

So belive me, I looking more than 12 Month for a good deal for the 4. But I didn’t see any offers for that version in Germany. The 3 offered 3 or 4 times in this 12 month.

So I will try to hear a 3. Only chance to make my decision.

@Flevoman

Were do you look for offers in the Netherlands and what are good prices?

If you are looking for an older variant, then I would definitely not rule out the CW1. I don't know the Cornwall family personally, I've had a 1977 LaScala for 25 years. Its midrange and treble drivers are identical to the CW1. I am very satisfied with the sound. You have to do something yourself here and there. I have often read here that people are very happy with the CW1. Whether people like a CW1 better than the CW3, let others who have experienced it tell you.
Here is the thread of someone who has just restored his CW1 very nicely at the end, technically and optically.

1 hour ago, KT88 said:

If you are looking for an older variant, then I would definitely not rule out the CW1.

@Von Hoellert if the CW1 is an option for you, there is one for sale atm.

Klipsch cornwall
€ 1.150,00
https://link.marktplaats.nl/m2065868604?utm_source=android_social&utm_content=vip&utm_medium=android_social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons

3 hours ago, Von Hoellert said:

Flevoman wrote in the beginning that the 4 is not much better but a bit different as the 3.

I think I mentioned this right at the very beginning. However, my CW4 was new and needed some breaking in. I recall that initially, the CW4 didn't have much bass in the beginning. On the other hand, the CW3 sometimes had too much bass in my space. What I've learned over time is that I (and maybe others) need some time to get accustomed to significant changes in sound before passing judgment.

This also played a role in my initial experience with CW3 vs CW4. It took me some time to apriciate the CW4 better. Is the CW4 better speaker ? Yes, in my opinion absolutely. Night and day difference? In my perception, not really. Is the price difference worth it? If the financial aspect isn't a problem for you and you're aiming for more or better, then yes, it would be worth it to me. But even with the CW3, I've had many evenings enjoying the music breathlessly.

And I use Marktplaats for my search, like the link I posted 1 reply before. 

I sold my CW4 for 5500,- and the one on Marktplaats was also 5500,- 

The CW3 goes around between the 2.5k and 3k on Marktplaats 

@Von Hoellert   If I were looking for a Cornwall, I wouldn't waste a second and would buy this Cornwall 1 immediately....directly to the Netherlands.... 2 to 3 hours drive from Cologne and catch this CW1 @Flevoman linked.
It has often been said here that the CW1 sounds better than the CW3, but I would leave that to those who have already experienced it. If money is a factor, then the CW1 for €1,150 is three times the better buy than the CW3 for €2,500. You might have to replace the capacitors, but that's about it. The photos look like they inspire confidence, it's not for nothing that the seller has a Mcintosh amp from the same period as the CW1. 

I have already posted it elsewhere in the forum. I use hifishark.com, a hifi metasearch engine that collects updated adverts from everywhere on the planet. You can register for free and get an email every day with new entries. Martplaats from the Netherlands is also scanned, as well as Audiomarkt, Ebay, Kleinanzeigen etc. from Germany. You have to scroll down a bit to skip all the US offers.

Here is an example link, you could also search more selective for e.g. Cornwall 3.

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=Klipsch+Cornwall

• Like 3

Hi at all they spend their time for me.

how @OO1 sad, don’t wait to long, so I had a appointment to the guy who sell the 3. So I made the deal this eavening  and because my trunk was to small for a pair of Cornwalls the guy bring them to my hous. It was a great person.

So I heard the last 3 hours my favorite songs and I am happy. The condition is near mint in walnut.

So I will take some days to hear more, if you all are interestedly I will give you a feedback on next weekend.

Thanks for all the information. 

I think I know the next steps:

a. Find some new furniture for my wife (the walnut don’t match with our actually furniture)

b. Look for a new amp

were are the yellow guy with rolling eyes 🙂
here🤪

Edited by Von Hoellert
  • Like 4

On 1/7/2024 at 9:50 PM, Von Hoellert said:

HI Von Hoellert,

I'm located in Italy, I had Cornwall 3 for several years.

Some weeks ago I heard Cornwall 4 at my dealer: very good speakers, especially in the medium frequencies.

The dealer wants 4800 € for difference between 3 and 4: at this moment I think that 4 doesn't deserve this huge difference, but this is a very, very personal evaluation...

I like my Cornwall's 3 very much, maybe in the future I'll think about for an upgrade.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all

so after a view days I will share my experience.

The 3 generally is good. Nice "live" performance as my old speakers but a bit lower in spatiality. But it does not bother me.

For my taste the bass is a bit low when I hear quieter.

I tried some different possitions and for me the best is dicectly at the wall (with some degrees to the sweetspot).

But I have to say that I use actually only a AV-Amp. Maybe a good stereoamp will give them more punsh.

So the next Step ist to hear some different amps. I have no experience in this, so I will pick up my amp an will start the testing with this. After that I will hear a Digital amp, two different Class A/B an one tube amp. This all in one session. The best I hear on this appointment I will test at home. Hope the dealer allows me to do that.

@Little Wolf: I heard the 4, 2 weeks befor I bougt the 3. YES in my mind the 4 ist "better" in the mid, but as we discussed and you also say the difference in price doesn't justify that, for me.

If someone has a really good suggestion for a amp, your are welcome. I have no technical knowledge of this and I just want to rely on my ears. If this topic would be better in another post, please let me know.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Von Hoellert said:

Hi all

so after a view days I will share my experience.

The 3 generally is good. Nice "live" performance as my old speakers but a bit lower in spatiality. But it does not bother me.

For my taste the bass is a bit low when I hear quieter.

I tried some different possitions and for me the best is dicectly at the wall (with some degrees to the sweetspot).

But I have to say that I use actually only a AV-Amp. Maybe a good stereoamp will give them more punsh.

So the next Step ist to hear some different amps. I have no experience in this, so I will pick up my amp an will start the testing with this. After that I will hear a Digital amp, two different Class A/B an one tube amp. This all in one session. The best I hear on this appointment I will test at home. Hope the dealer allows me to do that.

@Little Wolf: I heard the 4, 2 weeks befor I bougt the 3. YES in my mind the 4 ist "better" in the mid, but as we discussed and you also say the difference in price doesn't justify that, for me.

If someone has a really good suggestion for a amp, your are welcome. I have no technical knowledge of this and I just want to rely on my ears. If this topic would be better in another post, please let me know.

Can you tell which brands and models the amps are you will listen to?

@KT88

The dealer I will make a appointment show me:

Camebridge EVO 150

Supernait 3

Leak 130

nad c3050

Cayin jazz (not in wearehouse, for this we are waiting for the testing)

How I sad, I have no knowledge from the technical side. I like the vintage look of some of these amps. But the weight of the EVO 150 doesn't make a valuable impression.

And I read something about ASR Emitter, but for the budget they can sell only second hand from 2000. I’m not sure if this will be a good deal (age)

Edited by Von Hoellert
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Von Hoellert said:

@KT88

The dealer I will make a appointment show me:

Camebridge EVO 150

Supernait 3

Leak 130

nad c3050

Cayin jazz (not in wearehouse, for this we are waiting for the testing)

How I sad, I have no knowledge from the technical side. I like the vintage look of some of these amps. But the weight of the EVO 150 doesn't make a valuable impression.

And I read something about ASR Emitter, but for the budget they can sell only second hand from 2000. I’m not sure if this will be a good deal (age)

Thanks for the info. I'm very curious to see what you decide, and please let the forum know. 
I've already mentioned it here in the forum and don't want to bore anyone. That's why this info is just for you :) In addition to my Mcintosh C22CE/ MC275Mk4 which I use since 20 years, I have been using old Quad 34/Quad306/606 amps with great enthusiasm since the Corona era, which I bought cheaply, had time to tinker with and replaced the electrolytic capacitors. It's a reniniscence because I had just such amps 35 to 40 years ago, and the "new old ones" have confirmed my memory in a positive way. The current dumping circuit of the Quads ensures that even the lowest volumes arrive without distortion. This is not insignificant with such efficient Klipsch speakers.
 Digital are only the sources besides vinyl. With my old LaScala from 1977 it sounds very good to my ears. I am in no way saying that anyone else has to follow my decision, but I really like the effortless sound and articulate character of the Quads with the LaScala. 

You have made a pre-selection of amps with different characters, which I think is a good way to go. I'm curious to know whether you will choose one of these amps.

Hello everyone

I would like to ask some more questions. I wrote above that the spatial representation is not that good. My old speakers (new price 400€) can do this better. Now I ask myself why and can it also be due to the combination with an amplifier. Can an amplifier be responsible for the display? Then there's the issue of the bass. Most of the time I hear music at 75dB. Is this also possible to improve with the amplifier. I listened to it for another hour today. Today these things bother me enormously.

@Flevoman Is the 4 in this properties better than the 3?

@KT88 my first target is the question: can I hear difference between the different types? If yes I will try to hear more amps of the best type, in my opinion.

Edited by Von Hoellert