Just brought home a pair of 1983 Cornwalls

Thanks to all you who have been answering my crazy questions the last few weeks. I just brought home a pair of 1983 Cornwalls. Only one owner. All original parts. Here’s the component list so  I’m assuming they are Cornwall 1.5. 

Cornwall 
K-77-M
K52H
K-33E
B-3 crossover

one of the tweeters is super quiet. I’m hoping I can fix that with a simple recap. 

I’ve reached out to Crites for recommendations but if you have any suggestions on mods or steps to take to bring these up to snuff please share. Thank you!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'd measure the DC resistance of each tweeter and compare to see if the suspect tweeter has a significantly higher reading. You can measure at the crossover if you disconnect one leg of the tweeter wiring.

You could also run some FM inter-station noise through the speakers and measure the AC voltage at each tweeter terminal and compare. Disconnect the tweeter

completely from the crossover. A significantly lower reading at the crossover output would confirm it's a capacitor, otherwise I would leave it alone.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Peter P. said:

I'd measure the DC resistance of each tweeter and compare to see if the suspect tweeter has a significantly higher reading. You can measure at the crossover if you disconnect one leg of the tweeter wiring.

You could also run some FM inter-station noise through the speakers and measure the AC voltage at each tweeter terminal and compare. Disconnect the tweeter

completely from the crossover. A significantly lower reading at the crossover output would confirm it's a capacitor, otherwise I would leave it alone.

What equipment do I need to do these tests? I’m a little

confused. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, jason.justice said:

What equipment do I need to do these tests? I’m a little

confused. Thanks. 

We’ll assume amplification is good.  First verify all connections are secure. Loosen and tighten every screw on the crossover barrier strip and try again. This fixes many speakers.  If still having trouble you’ll need a good volt/ohm multi meter to measure resistance etc. Good luck!

• Like 2

Clean all of the connections and gently inspect everything

take some photos and post them

Wiring may be dry rotted, plan on replacing all of it

Mid range horn, aka squeaker, gasket between driver and horn is guaranteed dry rotted

Caps on the crossovers are way past predicted life span

Easiest and maybe best solution is a set of new Crites crossovers.

Once disconnected, you can check the resistance of each driver, write it down and post it here.

A basic Multi-meter from the hardware store should test in Ohms.

Tell us what you find.....