Anyone ever have a Pioneer SX-737?

Soundthought

Hello all,

Wow, i'll tell ya.

When it rains, it pours.

So there I was minding my own business wandering through a Slavation Army Thrift store this afternoon, when lo-and-behold I spotted this Pioneer SX-737 sitting on the shelf.

Well, instinctively, I grabbed it up and headed for the register.

About half way there, I decided to stop and actually give it a good once over.

Something I would not nesessarily do when hoarding a $30 audio gem like this one.

Usually, I'll tuck the item under my arm and bee line for the register then home.

This time, I thought it best to at least plug it in.

Found me a outlet and let her rip.

Well, as soon as the faceplate lit up blue, I knew I was good to go.

So out the door was I for a smooth 30 clams.

It is in mint shape with only a 3/4 inch scratch on the top of the faceplate.

Virtually un-noticable.

Interior is clean and in order.

For 50 WPC, it performs more like 200 WPC.

Got her sitting in front of me right now, with the top off, grooving some old BB King thru my Fortes.

I almost forgot.

I still got the Mac gear warming up in the living room.

Whoops.

Couldn't hear it back here.9.gif

Anyone else out there ever mess around with one of units?

John.

I cannot help myself.

LOL

Must have vintage gear.

Must have vintage gear.

Must have any and all gear.

sigh.

I hopelessly hooked.

This receiver rocks big.

Fascinating.

Can't seem to turn it past 4.

That's a good thing.

I gotta hook this thing up to my RF7s.

Just to see.

Of course, everthing that passes through this house gets hooked to the 7s

But damn, then I'll be forced to hook up the Mac with my Fortes here in my office.

Bummer.9.gif

It seems the sole method of judging gear these days is the famous "I cant turn it past 4! It rocks" which leaves one wondering just what these things really sound like.

I have a Yamaha Natural Sound CR-800 which was about $600 in the mid 70s and was considered one of the top receivers then. It's a competent piece and is built like a rock. Very heavy and solid. GETS LOUD TOO and rock out.

But these things just dont have the air, detail, soundstaging, imaging, and sense of life/space that is seen in gear of the next level. My Yamaha is quiet as a tomb but it just not on the same plane here. It's currently lent to someone else who loves it to death.

I am not trying to downplay as much as give these comments some perspective/comparison point. There is actually a whole different level of listening to this gear that you start to realize when you are exposed to other gear.

That being said, I used to have a Pioneer SX-450 that was very warm and nice on Advent speakers. I loved listening to FM on that beast. But these amps just arent on the same plane as better gear. In a way, I think that the Heresy is really a good match with these vintage amps.

I am lookin forward to hearing the little HK unit. One thing seems to be sure, these old vintage pieces beat the modern low cost AV receivers you see all over the place, some costing more than reasonable.

kh

I use a SX-780 almost daily !! It serves as a great FM tuner I shut off the Amp section and use tape out to my Tube amp. Its less than stellar with a set of Lascalas used as a amp. It mates fairly well with the heresy speakers they seem to be more forgiving. They are well made and reliable amps that look dam good also. My Dad has a SX-980 and that thing is a real Beast and has blew many a woofer in its day !! My younger brother isn't what you call a restrained person 1.gif

Yeah, It's got good build quality and nice circut layout.

Very clean. IMO.

I do realize most of the vintage silver faced gear is just that, Vintage.

Hey, what can I say.

I really enjoy look and feel of the older 60 and 70s gear.

Sure, it might not be the cleanest, or most articulate, or even have a shred of imagining due to cap breakdown, but....I Like It.

Yep, pulling high decibles with low audible distortion on my fortes right now.

What else is new?

It's a good thing the kids are at their Moms house tonight. LOL

Cheers,

John.

FYI....Source: Off Duty Hi-Fi Annual '76:

Pioneer SX-737 - Stereo tuner-amplifier. Power output 35 watts rms per channel into 8 ohms with 0.5% harmonic distortion, 20-20k Hz, both channels driven. Frequency response 15-40k Hz (+0.5, -1 dB), power bandwidth 5-60k Hz, hum & noise -70 dB(phono input), IM distortion 0.5%. AM/FM stereo tuner with 1.9uV FM sensitivity(IHF), S/N ratio 70 dB. Stereo separation 40 dB with 0.4% harmonic distortion. Selectivity 60 dB, capture ratio 1.0 dB. Signal-strength and tuning meters, defeatable interstation muting and loudness circuit. High and low frequency filters, outputs and selector switch for two pairs of stereo speakers, two tape monitor circuits. Size 19-3/4 X 6-1/4 X 5-1/4 in. Wt 29 lbs.

Lovely Avatar. The only thing worse I can think of is the horrifying Calvin pissing on the the Chevy logo (Calvin pissing on anything reminds me of a wailing child in Wal-Mart screaming for his new action figure). This idiot in the Bottlehead Forum actually BURNED the image of Calvin on his Bottlehead Paramour SET amp pissing on the words "solid state."

HAR.

Needless to say, iT was a big hit in the place with more goons wanting a T-Shirt made. I am hoping no high fives erupt here from this mention.

I would rather pound my right shin with a sledgehammer....

kh

Kelly, you are the William F. Buckley of the On-line Audio Forums! (I mean that as a compliment...)

Actually, I wanted to respond to your earlier comments on the Yamaha ss receivers. I suspect that you'll agree (?) that the Yamahas of the mid/late 1970's were much better sounding than average Japanese ss receivers, with some smoothness and finesse that the other mass-marketeers lacked. I still have my CA610II amp (bought new in 1978) in the family room/video system and I still find it more than listenable (especially in "Main Direct" mode with the tone control feedback amps switched out of the circuit).

I also wasn't disapointed in the CR-1010 I picked up at a garage sale (in my own neighborhood) this summer for $5. Very favorable price to performance ratio.

I never was that enthralled with the sound of the Technics receivers of the '70's, nor particularly with the Pioneers and Kenwoods either.

As a parting shot, I still wonder at all the fuss over the 22xx Marantz receivers. Yes they're attractive (although I expect only to those of us old enough to have lived through the 1970's), but they're perfectly ordinary sounding ss receivers as far as my experience goes.

Thanks for the info Andy.

I think them numbers may be a bit "Harsh".

Like the .5% IM or .5% HD

That's some hard listening.9.gif

I believe the numbers may be missing a zero inserted into there somewhere.

LOL

No biggie...

I get the idea.

She's my noisy ole groove box.2.gif

Thank you all for the diverse feekback.

Much appreciated.

John.

Hey Mark! William Buckley? Lordy. My 100% Liberal Mom will sure be sad to hear that... I get your drift however. He is interesting to hear banter with others, that is for sure. A tough act to follow in that regard, even if I dont always agree with what he says. He's a character for sure. Dont know who will replace him.

I agree about the Yamaha compared to most of the SS amps back then. It had a pretty refined sound considering and the Yamaha gear of the day was amazingly well-made and literally nothing like the brand now, which has slowly devolved into a parody of those days with power supplies the size of a roll of quarters and the weight/heft build of a pinwheel hat.

My Natural Sound CR-800 is STILL working to this day with ALL lights functioning and only some contact cleaner in the controls to keep it happy. I dont have it at the moment but the current user feels a warm spot for it.

Still, I have to say the quality SS stuff these days does better it. What tubes are you now running, anyway? Didnt you just but something interesting recently?

kh

Well it's been a long time---but yes I have actually owned a SX-737! It was the powerplant of my first stereo in college. That 35 watts sounded pretty good through my Altec A7 VOT's. When there was a party with loud music that everybody in the complex could hear, it was usually mine.

It served me well until one of the output trans. went and took one of the woofers with it--errrhhggg!

It should last a long time IF you keep it down!!!

Cornwaller

KH:

Nope not running anything new to speak of. Upstairs are a pair of Bottlhead Paramours (Sovtek 2A3's), EICO HF-85 preamp, 1974 Cornwalls, some sort of Marantz single CDP, and a charming little b&o TX-2 tangential tt that works way better than I had a right to expect for $7. My dear wife did give me a Bottlehead "Seduction" phonostage kit for Christmas, but I haven't tackled it yet.

I HAVE been playing with my rather scroungy HF-81 in the basement with a variety of "New England Sound" acoustic suspension speakers (KLH 6, Avid 102, AR3, Genesis 1) and having quite a bit of fun with that.

Happy New Year...

• 2 years later...

Sorry to dig this thread out of the archives, but I got one of these today. The sound is, indeed, warm and very 70s. I am running a pair of Dynaco A-25 speakers. The mood is laid back - playing an old home-recording of a Dr. Demento show (must be about 18 years old on cassette) on a Sony TCKA3-ES. I am wondering what all the fuss is about regarding vintage audio. Just buy an old system, fill a glass, and enjoy. The point is music appreciation, not just gear.

Here is the layout: Pioneer SX-737, Sony TCKA3-ES, Dynaco A-25. Not sophisticated, high-brow flea-watt, but plenty of soul. Retro, style, performance. 16.gif

Heh......

Did I write this thread?

Wow!

I remember how excited I would get when a new/old peice came into the collection.

Almost giddy, as it were.

I've still got the bug, no doubt, but the peices i'm into aquiring are becoming increasingly harder to find (which can be a good thing) and more expensive.

...plus the thrill is, well....not so thrilling as it used to be.

Ha Ha Ha.

Such is the hobby.

The "TRUTH" hurts, no?

Heh...

I now have "several" 70s receivers including Jim Cs SX-950.

Yamaha, Sansui, Marantz, Harmon Kardon and Onkyo are among a few names in the lot.

Whilst, they are all beautiful in their own way, I have started to seriously narrow my focus and thin out the herd. (so to speak).

More recent aquisitions include a Fisher 400, Carver "the receiver" and an Adcom 5800.

While the deletions have run somewhere on the order of 5 peice of gear a week.

(It's a pyramidial effect) :)

Anyway, it really come down to the pure appreciation for this vintage gear, good and bad.

It's a learning curve, for me.

As an audiophile in progress, I find my evolution through this constantly meandering hobby quite enlightening and fulfilling.

Though, it does have it's drawbacks and share of heartaches.

It's so totally worth it. :)

9.gif

Regards,

John.

P.S. The Mac and Forte combo are still in my office.....and they rock!