Klipschorn How to ship????

playntheblues

Airline freight forwarders (and the major airlines themselves sometimes sell them at their freight facilities) usually have a cardboard box called an "E" Container. They go for about $15.00 each. I shipped a pair of Cornwall cabinets to a Klipsch BB member in Omaha from Southern California last summer using 2 of them. I wrapped the cabinets in AstroFoil and they fit fine. I don't know how much bigger K-Horn cabinets are, but you could use 2 "E" containers together no problem. If I recall correctly, UPS Ground was about $60.00 for the pair.

Hope this helps,

Chris

I suggest you call Yellow Frieght. I would in NO CIRCUMSTANCES ship by UPS!! Yellow will do a 'dock to dock' for about 62 to 68 cents per pound and will pallet them on the same flat so they don't get seperated. Also have them shipped on a Mon. or Tues so they will arrive Thurs. or Frid. and will not sit on a dock or in a truck over a weekend. This not only gives you the fewest days of transit, but will yield one less transfer (load & unload) and less chance of damage. They can be tracked anywhere at any time and the shipping and ins. can be collect to you! This all happens when you go to the dock closest to you and have them provide you with the bill of lading. Then you send the bill of lading to the shipper and all they have to do is show up at the dock, drop them off and say good bye.

There is also 2500 per package of ins. included in the rate/pound I stated above.

This is the best way I have found to ship these treasures,

Cornwaller16.gif

Guy,

That crating charge is a true rip-off!! Stop and thinkabout it. How much lumber (Good lumber for that matter) will $400 bucks buy? Even allowing for the labor this is still a terrible price unless of course, you end up with a couple of nice solid wood cabinets as left-overs (which you will not). I'ts too bad that you and I are powerless to do anything about it.

My horns are coming from the big easy and the seller is charging me $30.00 to crate them. So there you go; in other words $30.00 worth of wood.

I know I got lucky,

Cornwaller (in Nebraska; and yes the Huskers Suck!)

9.gif

I just shipped a EH Scott 800 Console Radio that makes a K-Horn seem light. I had a local crater(Dallas Crate) crate the cabinet for $150. All plywood and 1x4 built on a pallett. Then I took it to Forward Air in Grapevine, texas(cheap airfreight company with a website and many warehouses nationwide). Total weight was 375 lbs and it was going to Portland. Shipping was $117 and got there in 3 days. I thought it was rather reasonable.

We live in a strange world... after looking for a great set of Klipschorns for what seemed too, too long... I finally had a pair shipped from Atlanta... along with a Klipsch Belle. And now, a year later, you have apparently found a pair on my back door. Enjoy!

There is a company called BAX Global that does commercial air freight shipping and will pick-up and deliver by truck... and does the deal in three days from S.F. to Texas at very low rates. Obviously, they need to be crated and I would suggest wooden crates with a generous bubble wrap of the speakers. As I recall, the rate was about $300 for the two Klipschorns and Belle from Atlanta to S.F.

BAX Global started out as the Burlington Northern air express subsidiary... and Burlington is now the nation's biggest railroad since they added Santa Fe to their group and they are headquartered in Fort Worth. When I had my businesses in the Metroplex they coud always be counted on to not only be the lowest cost... but the carrier that took the best care of my stuff. So, if you have a business name to put on the from and to labels, you might give them a call for a quote. I have brought in over $10,000 of Klipsch speakers by BAX Global and they arrived in the same condition in which they were shipped. I cannot say that about any other carrier. =HornEd