Solid State 6SN7s

michaelwjones

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, seti said:

Why?

The 6SN7 is one of the greatest and most linear tubes. I don't see the allure to this...

Each unit is two LND150 depletion mode FET's  with their gate, drain, and source pins tied to grid, plate, and cathode pins. There isn't a "dummy" load for the filaments which is good and bad. Good that it saves energy and bad in that with less current draw on the heater winding voltage will increase possibly stressing the other tubes in the circuit.

It will have a completely different distortion profile compared to a true 6SN7 so I don't see the allure either.

6 minutes ago, captainbeefheart said:

Each unit is two LND150 depletion mode FET's  with their gate, drain, and source pins tied to grid, plate, and cathode pins. There isn't a "dummy" load for the filaments which is good and bad. Good that it saves energy and bad in that with less current draw on the heater winding voltage will increase possibly stressing the other tubes in the circuit.

It will have a completely different distortion profile compared to a true 6SN7 so I don't see the allure either.

Those whacky engineers. If they can do something do they ask themselves if they should do something.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, seti said:

Those whacky engineers. If they can do something do they ask themselves if they should do something.

The only thing I can think of is just pure novelty.

People LOVE trying different tubes in their amps, of course some designs with minimal to no feedback can heavily rely upon the active device linearity for it's performance. Schiit engineers probably know that anything sounding different is at first going to be novel and exciting, yay we changed the sound. Some may like it some may not. Since the FET will have Pentode like output curves and the 6SN7 is a Triode they will sound different.

It's kinda neat, but also kinda pointless. The older I get the more I just leave an amp alone after I deem it sounding good compared to when I was younger I'd always be modifying and measuring/listening for differences. I guess if the SS plug in devices makes the amplifier experience more enjoyable to you in any way shape or form that's great. I just want to share my experience on what the device is and how it effects the amplifier to better inform consumers to what they are purchasing. Some may read my description and say right off the bat they don't want no stinkin Pentode like curves in their all  Triode amplifier.

1 hour ago, captainbeefheart said:

They state not to use in other manufactures equipment just for their units if someone wants to experiment with their preamps as optional solid state units.

Might be an interesting experience for open minded users.

miketn 

14 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

They state not to use in other manufactures equipment just for their units if someone wants to experiment with their preamps as optional solid state units.

Might be an interesting experience for open minded users.

miketn 

I've spent the last couple days looking into different 6SN7 tubes as I'm leaning towards purchasing a new Schiit Freya + reviewers seem to like the GE GTA/B or the Sylvania GTA's. I guess they come with new production Tung Sol's which are supposed to be decent at least a step up from the JJ's that used to come in it stock. A lot of Hi-fi reviewers seem to love the Freya +