Avantgarde Basshorn will frighten Yankee!

Good God Ya'll! Those are some crazy looking monsters. They look like something off of the set of Fritz Lang's Metropolis. They probably cost as much as a really good car, but I bet they would be amazing in the dedicated listening room owned by your average well heeled multi-millionaire.

Kelly,

That monster makes even Dr. Edgars 40hz Bass Horn look small.

bruce1.jpg

BTW, Dr. Bruce told me last month that there is going to be a get together of the SOCAL Horn Group at his shop (Torrance, CA) on January, 25th. Check the "High Efficiency Speaker" forum at AA for details. He mentioned a "special guest".

Regards,

Chris

I wonder what just one module would do/sound like? that is the only way anyone could afford the thing, that array will cost more than three pairs of avantgarde mid and tweeter arrays! so they equalize and servo control the thing half way from midnight and get down to 18hz...non-plussed in salvador, tony

Does it come with the brick wall?

Always nice to know what it takes to do it right. Between Bruce Edgar and Avant Garde, one gets a feel for it.

I would like to consider a speaker with an RF-7 - like high end: (2KHz to 20Khz) single element, and a horn 200Hz to 2Khz instead of the dual 10" cones. Below that I would accept decent subwoofer technology, but definately one per side. For me that might be the best of both worlds. What I don't know is what a 200 Hz capable horn looks like. The Avant Garde provides a hint. So I need a new house.

leok

Chris,

I don't have a corner into which I can place a KHorn. In fact, my house will not accomodate the KHorn. I was offered a pair (no charge) simply because the owner knew I would appreciate them, but had to turn the offer down because it was not possible.

I thought that a horn that goes only as low as 200Hz might be sufficiently smaller so that it will fit. The LaScalas are attractive, but they are a 3-way design with mid-high xover around 8KHz, which I am trying to avoid.

leok

Like Tom Mobley, I was a bit taken aback by the initial description of why this bass horn could dig as deep as it can in as tight a configuration as it has. Then I thought... back in '46 some conventionally rooted audiophile might have pinned a "yellow BS" button on PWK when he talked about folding his first K-Horn. So, I'll hold my version of the the PWK button award until I can get some additional feedback from someone who doesn't have a vested interest in Avantgarde.

While the Avantgarde horn collection is impressive eyewash... the earwash factor of the sub does have an allure for a guy with a seven foot column of SVS Ultras... and the drivers for this 990lb. gorilla sub don't appear to be all that exotic... but with six tubes that puppy might be getting the advantages of sitting in the corner while it's in the middle of the room! lol Actually, compared to the 7 foot, 700 lb., two-woof big dog (Wilson Audio) that Doug found on another thread, this Avantgarde horn-loaded sub is a comparative lightweight weighing in at only 165 lbs. for the one module version... that's in the Klipschorn weight division. Remember these horns are built out of plywood hand have two drivers per module... I would have thought they would be even heavier to deal with the pressures that have to be generated for that kind of performance.

While, the "Active Dynamic Radiation Impedance Compensation"* bass balancing act is somewhat mysterious at this point... and who among us is familiar with a "expo-spherical bass horn?"... the big rig seems to have some DIY potential. I wonder what Klispch horn enthusiast and former DIY builder Tom Vodhanel thinks of it stacked up against is latest applied sub cube theory? =HornEd

*This is a special circuitry, which dynamically compensates for small horn mouth dimensions and linearizes the bass response below the cut-off frequency of the horn. It enables us to achieve a bass response to 18 Hz with a horn mouth of just 9 sq. ft.

Maybe it doesn't deserve a PWK button just yet... but at least we ought to consider a "Yellow Button Alert" for now.

Hey, good to see your colorful avatar and comment, mdeneen! I think the original concept was translated from German... and much of the article suffers from translation dropoff. But, all in all, I think the keyword in their obtuse phrase is "compensation"... and that's what they trying most for... and I think that's measured in Euros! 3.gif =HornEd

PS: I hope your flight included some San Diego sunshine!